Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Are 3 car seats in back possible? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/are-3-car-seats-in-back-possible-68065.html)

mofeen 11-18-2013 06:31 AM

Are 3 car seats in back possible?

I have a 2011 Overland currently. I am looking at a 2014 now but have a dilemma. I have two kids ages 2 and 1 that currently ride in the back in Recaro Pro rides. I will be expecting one more in the summer, and this will have to be the family vehicle. Does anyone regularly have three seats in the back?

By then I may be able to have my oldest in a convertible/booster since he's very tall for his age. I could find another seat and certainly test in mine, but I guess what I am asking is it practical as well?

Please save me from a Yukon! The new ones look cool but I love my Jeep and don't want to drive a boat!

Josh

mannichine 11-18-2013 07:07 AM

There MAY be somebody out there who has managed to make this work, but it would be a very tough (if not impossible) accomplishment--and would require the slimmest child safety seats available (Radians, as far as I know). I doubt we'll hear from too many people (if anybody) who has pulled it off. This is what pushed me from JGC to Durango. If you haven't yet, do yourself a favor and check out the '14 Durango.

MAXGroup 11-18-2013 08:14 AM

3 child seats are close to impossible in almost all cars.

I have twins, so my standard setup was 2 seats. I sometimes squeezed one more for a friend.
They were never 100% and I would only do that for a short ride in town.

So it's time for a 3rd row seat..........

If you take your vehicle off roading a lot than you are stuck. If not, look at the Durango citadel with the skid plates options.

Not as capable as an overland with air suspension, but will do the occasional dirt road. If you really want to, you could probably build it up using JGC parts.

ucla95 11-18-2013 10:38 AM

Re: Are 3 car seats in back possible?

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Car Seat Check - KickingTires

The answer is yes. 3 car seats work.

Marlon_JB2 11-18-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXGroup (Post 932012)

I have twins, so my standard setup was 2 seats. I sometimes squeezed one more for a friend.

So it's time for a 3rd row seat..........

If you take your vehicle off roading a lot than you are stuck. If not, look at the Durango citadel with the skid plates options.

Not as capable as an overland with air suspension, but will do the occasional dirt road. If you really want to, you could probably build it up using JGC parts.

Thing is, there's nowhere to put the Air Tank in a Durango... among other smaller issues. Plus costs...

amr40509 11-18-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannichine (Post 931999)
There MAY be somebody out there who has managed to make this work, but it would be a very tough (if not impossible) accomplishment--and would require the slimmest child safety seats available (Radians, as far as I know). I doubt we'll hear from too many people (if anybody) who has pulled it off. This is what pushed me from JGC to Durango. If you haven't yet, do yourself a favor and check out the '14 Durango.

I have a '14 JGC and two kids. One is 9 weeks old, one 2.5 years.

the back seat/front seat distance isn't' that that far (I guess that would be like saying back seat leg room) so in order to keep the front seats able to slide far enough back for drive/passenger to be comfortable I have our baby in a rear facing Chicco Keyfit 30. It fits well in the center position. I then have our older son front facing in a Radian (passenger's side at the moment). There would be no problem putting another Radian on the driver's side, it would fit just fine as it is narrow enough that the center position Chicco doesn't encroach on the space needed at all.

I'm a huge fan of the Radian seats. I bought the one I use for my old Pathfinder. My wife has a '11 Honda Odyssey so space/fit isn't an issue there (that car is designed around people who care about car seats). She had a Britax Boulevard in there, and liked the Radian so much better we put the Britax away and bought her a Radian to use. They are nice seats, that have the bonus of the most narrow install space needed out there.

Before going forward facing we used the Radians rear facing, worked great that way too.

I have to say, my wife's van is a WHOLE lot better for hauling the kids around. BUT that said, the Jeep can work fine too.

mannichine 11-18-2013 11:19 AM

Also, another thing to consider is whether or not you have a large stroller that you transport a lot. Without a third row, you may not be able to fit it into the cargo area of the Grand Cherokee. Just trying to look at this from all angles for/with you.

pensfan414 11-18-2013 11:44 AM

I only have one offspring, and am terrified to even put ONE car seat in my new GC for fear it will damage the leather in the long run. Kudos for attempting three!

amr40509 11-18-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannichine (Post 932074)
Also, another thing to consider is whether or not you have a large stroller that you transport a lot. Without a third row, you may not be able to fit it into the cargo area of the Grand Cherokee. Just trying to look at this from all angles for/with you.

Our single passagner BOB fits fine back there.

amr40509 11-18-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pensfan414 (Post 932090)
I only have one offspring, and am terrified to even put ONE car seat in my new GC for fear it will damage the leather in the long run. Kudos for attempting three!

I used to be like that....now I assume they are going to destroy everything anyways.

plynn7 11-18-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pensfan414 (Post 932090)

I picked up one of these when I got my 11 Overland, when I traded that in this past August for my 14 Overland, you would have never of known I had a car seat for three years.

Amazon.com: Jeep Deluxe Car Seat Undermat: Baby

petetherocker 11-19-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXGroup (Post 932012)

^x2.

I have a 9, 7 and 3 year old. The 2 older ones use booster seats and little guy a standard forward facing car seat. Though the 3 seats CAN fit across, the problem is that the bigger kids have to almost get up off of their seats to buckle in as the buckle is friggin hard to access with the 3 seats in place.