Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   BA sound system Q's (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/ba-sound-system-qs-6807.html)

wkxj 02-22-2010 11:20 AM

BA sound system Q's
 
I just found out that my WK has the BA speakers/amp. Can anyone tell me if the amp has specific crossover points for each set of speakers or is it just 6 channel full range? I'm going to replace the speakers and want to do so intelligently.

robpp 02-22-2010 11:36 AM

Re: BA sound system Q's
 
there are built in crossovers. frnt door speakers are woofers, dash ones are mid/high. rear doors are fullrange.

Matt 02-22-2010 12:53 PM

Re: BA sound system Q's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wkxj (Post 155874)
I just found out that my WK has the BA speakers/amp. Can anyone tell me if the amp has specific crossover points for each set of speakers or is it just 6 channel full range? I'm going to replace the speakers and want to do so intelligently.

Roughly;

3.5" dash speakers: 500hz-up
6x9" front door woofers: 500hz-down
6.5" rear door speakers: full range

Ideally, a woofer in the front door would be better than a coaxial. Full range (coaxial) for the other locations would be fine.

What are you looking to gain over the factory Boston Acoustic system?

blackpepper 02-22-2010 01:35 PM

Re: BA sound system Q's
 
I don't like how the front doors are subs only .. I want mids in all six doors now that I have a sub in the trunk.. if I were to replace the front door speakers only with some components, what's recommended to compliment the other four speakers??

Matt 02-22-2010 01:44 PM

Re: BA sound system Q's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPepper (Post 155962)
I don't like how the front doors are subs only ..

I love it! It makes for a great sound stage. When you have the same frequencies being reproduced from 4 different locations and arriving at your ears at 4 different times, it starts to sound like poo. Splitting the mids and highs up between the dash and door speakers is a pro, not a con. (speaking from a sound quality perspective).

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPepper (Post 155962)
I want mids in all six doors now that I have a sub in the trunk..

I only have four doors... can I see pics of your 6 doors...?

:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPepper (Post 155962)
if I were to replace the front door speakers only with some components, what's recommended to compliment the other four speakers??

To be honest, I would keep the factory Bostons. Unless you're adding some processing to the mix, you won't gain much from swapping speakers. If you want it louder, just add an amp.

Matt 02-22-2010 01:45 PM

Re: BA sound system Q's
 
Again, I ask, what about the Boston set-up do you not like?

blackpepper 02-22-2010 01:51 PM

Re: BA sound system Q's
 
Interesting...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 155971)

I only have four doors... can I see pics of your 6 doors...?

:D

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....3/limo6504.jpg

Matt 02-22-2010 01:57 PM

Re: BA sound system Q's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPepper (Post 155978)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You never cease to amaze, LOL!

wkxj 02-22-2010 09:43 PM

Re: BA sound system Q's
 
What are you looking to gain over the factory Boston Acoustic system?

It sounds rather boomy and not overly detailed. I'd like a little more natural sound, I'm thinking some Polk speakers. Although I have some Bostons that I really like that sound nothing like the ones in my WK. My Bostons in my XJ are a lot more detailed than those in the WK

Matt 02-22-2010 09:48 PM

Re: BA sound system Q's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wkxj (Post 156435)
What are you looking to gain over the factory Boston Acoustic system?

It sounds rather boomy and not overly detailed. I'd like a little more natural sound, I'm thinking some Polk speakers. Although I have some Bostons that I really like that sound nothing like the ones in my WK. My Bostons in my XJ are a lot more detailed than those in the WK

Gotcha.

Remember, the factory Boston speakers are OEM speakers, so they aren't going to be like the typical consumer products. I'm guessing you have aftermarket speakers in your XJ..?

I say try some new dash speakers. A 3.5" coaxial should wake up some of the upper treble detail.

If you want to keep teh Boston Acoustic theme, you can use their 3.5" coaxial.

fatfreddy 02-23-2010 01:54 AM

Re: BA sound system Q's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 155971)
I love it! It makes for a great sound stage. When you have the same frequencies being reproduced from 4 different locations and arriving at your ears at 4 different times, it starts to sound like poo. Splitting the mids and highs up between the dash and door speakers is a pro, not a con. (speaking from a sound quality perspective).



I only have four doors... can I see pics of your 6 doors...?

:D



To be honest, I would keep the factory Bostons. Unless you're adding some processing to the mix, you won't gain much from swapping speakers. If you want it louder, just add an amp.

I put JL TR350-CXi in the dash and Hertz ECX 165 in the rear doors.HUGE improvement over the Boston "Premium" speakers which don't even have tweeters in them.Not very "Premium".

wkxj 02-23-2010 06:26 AM

Re: BA sound system Q's
 
Yep, deff. Aftermarket all around in the xj. Excelon Head unit, bolt amp Boston/JBL speakers and a RF sub. I like it to sound good so I can't hear myself sing!!:D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community