Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   Want HIDs, but no Lux Group (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/want-hids-but-no-lux-group-68070.html)

subwrxsti 11-18-2013 11:34 AM

Want HIDs, but no Lux Group

My Fiance and I are in the process of ordering a Black Limited, but despite incessant arguing and trying to get my point across, she cannot see the value in having the HIDs from the luxury group, mainly because of the price point for the package.

I have been perusing the forums, trying to figure out if anyone has plans for developing a reliable HID kit for the 2014 Cherokee in the near future. Has anyone heard anything around this? I could only assume that maybe xenondepot has something in the works for this, but it would only be an assumption. I am heart broken to order it without getting them from the factory, so I hope that I can have my HIDs sooner than later :(

I would hope that I would be at a slight advantage since I could use the existing projector and housing, and maybe it will be an inexpensive upgrade to get a ~4700K HID kit.

Thanks for the help!
Steve

NHPATRIOT 11-18-2013 11:37 AM

Re: Want HIDs, but no Lux Group

Why do you feel you need HID's so badly?

subwrxsti 11-18-2013 11:42 AM

Well, I've been driving behind them for several years, and the quality of light makes a difference to me from standard halogen. When we drive places together, I'm usually the one that ends up driving, especially at night, so I enjoy the increased visibility that I get from the whiter light. My mother has had Muranos for her last two cars, and the HIDs in that thing are great to be driving behind, even better than my STi.

Not to say that the halogen projectors won't be sufficient, but I feel there is a slight edge with the HIDs for my driving pleasure. Just a guilty pleasure I guess.

NHPATRIOT 11-18-2013 02:41 PM

That's fine. I was just curious.

SnoFire 11-18-2013 03:25 PM

Do a search on the forums, I believe there is a write up on this already.

Jeepster910 11-18-2013 05:29 PM

I don't want to get into that argument. But with the Luxury group you may avoid fights down the road on seat, mirror, radio memory settings assigned to each of you at the push of a button.
That's the only reason I'm getting it on my order. Push a button and I'm in the drivers seat with no hassle after the wife gets done.
By the way explain the difference/benefits with those HID's. I have no idea.
Thanks

subwrxsti 11-18-2013 06:11 PM

Believe it or not I made all of these arguments and then some. Ultimately I would benefit a lot from the seats too since there is a considerable height difference between us.

But my efforts were in vain since she ordered it without it. You would think we would argue to try to get the price down but I actually wanted the package!

Oh well, here's to hoping for a nice kit to come out soon!

clew 11-20-2013 10:42 AM

They already make a conversion kit that will work with the Cherokee...it isnt specific to the Make/Model of the car, just the type of bulb used in the headlamp (H8, H11, etc). Plug and play pretty much depending on the kit you go with (I have the xenondepots on my accord and it was an easy install for those that are moderately hands on types).

There is the issue that the projector used in halogen applications is not designed to work as well with HID's though...to get full power HID lighting, you need to get the stock HID package or do a full retrofit swapping out projectors in the housing.
I am thinking this will be something that can be ordered through Mopar at some point and installed independent of all the other things in the luxury package.

clew 11-20-2013 11:01 AM

Double post

clew 11-20-2013 11:06 AM

subwrxsti, couldn't respond to your private message, not enough posts yet

It has to do with various things with the lens, reflectors, light source location, etc. Its inherent to all cars, not just the Cherokee.
Here is a detailed write up (it goes over the top, and isn't near the issue the website makes it sound like...but just throwing the HIDs in there is def not the same as a stock HID setup).

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

keep in mind he has a product to sell, and it isnt HID, that said the physics of it hold pretty true

SalA 11-20-2013 04:03 PM

Many different opinions on the HID Retro fit in every car forum I subscribed too. I had 2012 GC that I purchased and installed a 55 watt setup from eBay. They worked fine, looked fine and really did not blind on-coming drivers as most speculate they would. I also never got a “Bulb Out” warning as well. I now have a 2014 and thinking of doing the same. Will first try to repurpose the setup I removed from the 2012 and see what occurs. In the event I see warning codes, I would just upgrade to ballasts that have the Can-Bus circuits built in the unit.

With the projector lights on the 2014, the look should be outstanding. I would also suggest upgrading the fog / DRL to 5000K LEDs with the Can-Bus circuit built in as well.