Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Adding more TPMS's to the system (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/adding-more-tpmss-to-the-system-68080.html)

ArloGuthroJeep 11-18-2013 03:34 PM

Adding more TPMS's to the system

So WK2jeeps.com says that when "installing" new TPMS into the wheels that you need to have them programmed, but I have seen a couple posts on here reporting that you just add them and it automatically adds them.

I am going to pick up a set of winter wheels - so:
1) Does it automatically learn them?
2) If it doesn't, and they need to be programmed, does it need to be reprogrammed every time wheels are swapped, or can it remember both sets?
3) Lastly, do the 2014's use the same TPMS as the 2011-2013? 56029398

Thanks,
Ryan

From Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2011 Grand Cherokee Tire Pressure Monitor System
The sensor IDs can also be programmed using the TPM-RKE Analyzer Tool. Scan each TPM sensor at each road wheel, and store each Sensor ID in the correct location. (LEFT FRONT, LEFT REAR, RIGHT FRONT, and RIGHT REAR) Connect the TPM-RKE Analyzer Tool to the Scan Tool. Then follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic Scan Tool for “Program Tire Pressure Sensor ID w/ TPM Tool” .

Scottina06 11-18-2013 04:50 PM

Re: Adding more TPMS's to the system

it will learn them automatically...just drive for about 15-20 minutes to be sure

yes...same

jeelo 11-18-2013 07:55 PM

I have oem tpms sensors in both my stock wheels and summer rims. The system learned them automatically. I've read that aftermarket tpms sensors may have to be reprogrammed.

ArloGuthroJeep 11-18-2013 08:10 PM

Great, thanks guys!

mfa81 11-18-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeelo (Post 932319)
I have oem tpms sensors in both my stock wheels and summer rims. The system learned them automatically. I've read that aftermarket tpms sensors may have to be reprogrammed.

that's interesting since I'm about to buy some and would go for those $50 from ebay...

does anyone else have experience with aftermarket tpms? btw, what are those oem same part id but not made by mopar? are those aftermarket or oem knock offs?

Milous 11-19-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep (Post 932210)
So WK2jeeps.com says that when "installing" new TPMS into the wheels that you need to have them programmed...

The dealer programming is optional, typically used for diagnosis by the dealer.

From the link you posted:

"The module can automatically learn and store the sensor's ID while driving “within 10 minutes continuously above 15 m.p.h. (24 Km/h)” after a sensor has been replaced. The vehicle must be stationary for more then 20 minutes in order to initiate the learning sequence."

"The sensor IDs can also be programmed using the TPM-RKE Analyzer Tool..."

Milous 11-19-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep (Post 932210)
3) Lastly, do the 2014's use the same TPMS as the 2011-2013? 56029398

Yes.

ColdCase 11-20-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfa81 (Post 932422)
that's interesting since I'm about to buy some and would go for those $50 from ebay...

does anyone else have experience with aftermarket tpms? btw, what are those oem same part id but not made by mopar? are those aftermarket or oem knock offs?

The $50 eBay TPMS sensors are OEM, no issues with them.

Aiyer 11-20-2013 04:06 PM

I bought a set of aftermarket sensors from ebay and it worked great. The discount tire guy had a tool in his hand and he walked up to each tire with it and he said he was "turning them on". I am not sure what it meant, but i think he was making sure they were activated.

Within 2 miles from the store, my Jeep was reading the air pressure in the tires.

Cheers,
-A

14snowwhitegc 11-22-2013 12:41 AM

after market sensors work great just gotta make sure there not cheap knock offs. most chrysler jeep dodge vehicles relearn automatically some need to be turned on with whats called a tech400 this communicates sensors to vehicles via 315 mhz frequency that they let off and car picks up. ive seen lots of people come into my store with cheap sensors and the batteries crap out after a few months. source- i run a discount tire.