Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   paint sealant (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/paint-sealant-68081.html)

pensfan414 11-18-2013 04:13 PM

paint sealant

Looking for a good paint sealant to apply to my new 14 GC. I want something easy to apply that protects for a good amount of time. Recs? Thanks.

slawek65 11-18-2013 05:20 PM

Re: paint sealant

Quote:

Originally Posted by pensfan414 (Post 932227)
Looking for a good paint sealant to apply to my new 14 GC. I want something easy to apply that protects for a good amount of time. Recs? Thanks.

Collonite 845. Wax-sealant-easy on-easy off-protects for very looooong time-cheap to :D

pensfan414 11-18-2013 07:13 PM

Thanks, just bought some....

PB4UGO 11-18-2013 09:26 PM

SONAX Polymer Net Shield. Best sealant I've ever used!!

SONAX ProfiLine Polymer Net Shield

Andoskyy 11-19-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pensfan414 (Post 932227)

Wolf's Hard Body.

Mine has been on since march and water still beads like day one. pretty amazing stuff. Supposed to have a 2 year life. 9 months and going strong...impressed so far!

Its a pretty detailed application process with a lot of steps...but the result is fantastic.

WP-0NP - Nano Coating - - Wolf's Chemicals

kkreit01 11-19-2013 09:58 AM

IW 845 (already mentioned), Duragloss 105/101/or 501.

DAVY27 11-19-2013 11:21 AM

it's all about the prep before applying the sealant.

I use Meguiars M21 and Blackfire Wet Diamond.

eibyer 11-19-2013 12:52 PM

I don't have a buffer, is there one that can be applied and left as is?

Andoskyy 11-19-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eibyer (Post 932660)

Are you looking for long lasting wax, or a true paint sealant?

Recommendations here have been for both so far.

The Hard Body I mentioned is a nano sealant. You'll only use less than 2 ounces for your whole jeep. It's similar to an Opticoat product, which is supposedly lifetime.

The Collonite Insulator product is fantastic, but its a wax, you'll get a few months if you're lucky.

A true nano sealant will take a lot of work. Clay bar, then clean with diluted alcohol, apply a coat of nano sealant, wait 6+ hours and apply another, then let cure for 12+ hours.

Nano sealants can be applied by hand or by buffer...as with almost any wax.

You'll need a buffer for paint correction, like swirl marks, scratches, oxidation, etc.

eibyer 11-19-2013 11:29 PM

Long lasting wax would be fine, something I can do maybe twice a year, maybe three.

YjagetaJeep 11-20-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eibyer (Post 932660)

If your paint is in good shape, you could get by with claying the finish, and then applying Opticoat. It's a Wipe On and Walk Away sealer that will protect your paint 4-6 months and leave a pretty decent shine as well. Blackfire Diamond has a similar product. But be warned...These are sealers and whatever is on the surface of your paint WILL BE SEALED IN.

Andoskyy 11-20-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YjagetaJeep (Post 933034)
If your paint is in good shape, you could get by with claying the finish, and then applying Opticoat. It's a Wipe On and Walk Away sealer that will protect your paint 4-6 months and leave a pretty decent shine as well. Blackfire Diamond has a similar product. But be warned...These are sealers and whatever is on the surface of your paint WILL BE SEALED IN.

Opticoat is a lifetime product. They even have a 5 year warranty on it. I doubt any lifetime claims, but will certainly last you a few years.

A good application of a reputable wax will only be needed 2-3 times per year. I personally recommend the Collonite Insulator Wax mentioned earlier.