Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Possible to fit 2014 Summit headlights / LED DRLS into 2012 Overland Summit? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/possible-to-fit-2014-summit-headlights-led-drls-into-2012-overland-summit-68123.html)

rjSummit 11-19-2013 04:14 PM

Possible to fit 2014 Summit headlights / LED DRLS into 2012 Overland Summit?

1 Attachment(s)
First off, I apologize if there is already a thread on this as I am new to the message board and I'm also new to making any sort of modifications as this is the first time i've had a nice enough vehicle to even care about making them. Also, sorry about all of the questions below, but like I said, I am completely new to making modifications so I am just looking for any sort of guidance.

I have a 2012 Overland Summit, and I am looking to convert the 2012 Headlights/turn signal/DRL's into the Summit 2014 Headlights/turn signal/LED DRL's.

I guess the first question is whether anyone knows if the dimensions of the housing is the same between the two models? Or would I need a complete new 2014 fascia/grille to make it all fit?

Second, my Overland Summit is equipped with the Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights-- can these transfer over to the 2014 housing or are they completely different headlights/sizes for the 2014 Summit?

Third, will the 2012 electrical system support adding the 2014 LED DRL's in place of the regular DRL's that are on the 2012?

Fourth, would it be easiest to take it to a shop that does modifications, or is it pretty simple to buy the parts from Mopar and install them myself (I'd get help from my dad who used to be an engineer for Chrysler and has his own shop for a racecar, so tools etc shouldn't be an issue) -- I am trying to not spend too much money so doing it myself would be preferred

Fifth, has anyone personally done this conversion and knows about how much it will cost, either do-it-yourself or shop?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

JeepGCOverland 11-19-2013 04:40 PM

Re: Possible to fit 2014 Summit headlights / LED DRLS into 2012 Overland Summit?

Welcome to Jeep Garage!

The 2014 JGC has a completely different electrical architecture than the 2011-2013 JGC, making it nearly impossible to do the swap. Could you make it work? Probably. But, you would have to make a ton of modifications and it would cost a lot of money. You are better off just upgrading to the 2014 if you really want the headlights.

By the way, that is an awesome Jeep! I almost bought a 2013 Overland Summit before deciding on my 2014 Overland. In my opinion, the Overland Summit is way better looking than the 2014 Summit, which is why I went with the 2014 Overland (once I decided I wanted a 2014) instead.

chdavis 11-19-2013 10:09 PM

Re: Possible to fit 2014 Summit headlights / LED DRLS into 2012 Overland Summit?

I'm interested too. I would think that an adapter wiring harness is definitely within the realm of possibility.

JeepGCOverland 11-19-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chdavis (Post 932961)
I'm interested too. I would think that an adapter wiring harness is definitely within the realm of possibility.

See what some other guys that know what they are talking about (I am just reiterating what I have seen, maybe shoot a PM to Scottina06) say, but I don't think it is quite that simple. Other people have asked similar questions and all have been shot down.