Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Ready for winter 2014 GC Summit on 18" wheel Michelin X-ICE 2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/ready-for-winter-2014-gc-summit-on-18-wheel-michelin-x-ice-2-a-68186.html)

johnnyiowa 11-20-2013 08:16 PM

Ready for winter 2014 GC Summit on 18" wheel Michelin X-ICE 2

2 Attachment(s)
I just got my GC ready for the install. I installed 18" Jeep Wheels Part # 82212154 with Michelin X-ICE 2. Here are some photos.

Be_Prepared 11-20-2013 08:31 PM

Re: Ready for winter 2014 GC Summit on 18" wheel Michelin X-ICE 2

You need one of those upside down Jeep bumper stickers:
"if you can read this, flip me over" :)

johnnyiowa 11-20-2013 08:37 PM

Every time I post photo taken from my iPhone, it became it was taken from Australia ..... :lol:

johnnyiowa 11-20-2013 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
let see if this one work.....

johnnyiowa 11-20-2013 10:06 PM

11/20/2013 Car in Service - YouTube

GCLimited 11-21-2013 11:17 AM

Were the stock tires bad or something?

:confused:

Setoutguy 11-21-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 933662)
Were the stock tires bad or something?

:confused:

Stock tires and all seasons even with the WK2's AWD just dont do that great in snow and ice. AWD helps you start and keep moving but it doesnt help you turn or brake. Winter tires have special tread compounds for temps below 40 degrees that All Seasons, All Terrain and even Mud Terrains lack. A good winter
just gives you an added sense of security. I believe winter tires are mandatory in the province of Quebec from Dec 1 to April 1 give or take.

SnoFire 11-21-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setoutguy (Post 933706)
Stock tires and all seasons even with the WK2's AWD just dont do that great in snow and ice. AWD helps you start and keep moving but it doesnt help you turn or brake. Winter tires have special tread compounds for temps below 40 degrees that All Seasons, All Terrain and even Mud Terrains lack. A good winter
just gives you an added sense of security. I believe winter tires are mandatory in the province of Quebec from Dec 1 to April 1 give or take.

We get alot of snow here in Wisconsin/Upper Michigan and I have never put on snow tires. The stock tires on MY14 were swapped out for MS2 tires, they only had 100 miles on them. These are better in winter than those. No tire will stop from slipping and sliding in winter, not even snow tires. Yes, tires can make a difference in winter but also what the vehicle is can also make this feel more secure. My 08 Trailblazer that I sold, I hated it in winter no matter what tires were on it. Completely different feeling than my 01 GC that I had, felt very secure in it with normal tires.

You can still get stuck with special snow tires or slide through a stop sign with ice on the road. But if you feel that snow tires make that big of a difference, then more power to you. To me, it would be just a waste of money for an extra set of tires for winter. Just saying..

Bborzell 11-21-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyiowa (Post 933373)
I just got my GC ready for the install. I installed 18" Jeep Wheels Part # 82212154 with Michelin X-ICE 2. Here are some photos.

Well, that perspective might make it easier to swap wheels if you could figure out how to raise the earth. :D

pinetar 11-21-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoFire (Post 933726)
We get alot of snow here in Wisconsin/Upper Michigan and I have never put on snow tires. The stock tires on MY14 were swapped out for MS2 tires, they only had 100 miles on them. These are better in winter than those. No tire will stop from slipping and sliding in winter, not even snow tires. Yes, tires can make a difference in winter but also what the vehicle is can also make this feel more secure. My 08 Trailblazer that I sold, I hated it in winter no matter what tires were on it. Completely different feeling than my 01 GC that I had, felt very secure in it with normal tires.

You can still get stuck with special snow tires or slide through a stop sign with ice on the road. But if you feel that snow tires make that big of a difference, then more power to you. To me, it would be just a waste of money for an extra set of tires for winter. Just saying..

I'm sorry, but you can't deny winter tires make a huge difference in overall performance in colder climates. People around here in the Sierras that use winter tires, swear by them having saved their lives and lots of money in the long run.

Winter tires do so much more than your car can do with 4x4, traction control, ABS, ... they only get you so far, but with the addition of winter tires, it can make a huge difference.

I like the idea of investing in something that I know makes my car safer during the winter and colder months, that might avoid a potentially bigger problem down the line. But like I say, to each his own.

Setoutguy 11-21-2013 06:38 PM

Have driven my vehicles back to back over the years with no seasons, ATs, MTs and then put the winter tires on. back end would step out from lights or stop signs on no season or MTs with RWD and 4wd but with winter tires no drama. Same with braking and turning. Also winter tires give you superior performance in the wet in temps below 40 degrees. Read the Dec 2013 issue of R&T. Nice article on winter tires. I think I have the right issue.

TonyMontana 11-21-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setoutguy (Post 933921)
Have driven my vehicles back to back over the years with no seasons, ATs, MTs and then put the winter tires on. back end would step out from lights or stop signs on no season or MTs with RWD and 4wd but with winter tires no drama. Same with braking and turning. Also winter tires give you superior performance in the wet in temps below 40 degrees. Read the Dec 2013 issue of R&T. Nice article on winter tires. I think I have the right issue.

I'm with ya!

Being with the RCMP here in Canada I have been to many vehicle accidents in the winter. Nothing beats driving appropriately for the weather conditions by that being said winter tires beat any tire during the winter conditions hands down. I have gone around 4x4 trucks equipped with all seasons with my car equipped with a good set of winter tires. Those that believe that just because they drive a truck that they can blaze through the snow like its a nice summer day are the ones I usually find on their roof.

We equip all our police cars with winter tires and for the miles I put on I would never go without.

Also don't just put winter tires on the front or rear of the car. They must be installed all around lest you wish to swap ends due to the traction difference. ;-)

Winter tires save lives. Should u choose to go without your chances of us meeting up on the side of the road increase greatly. Fact.