Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Missing 2nd and 3rd gear when cold, major shift lag when fully warm (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/missing-2nd-and-3rd-gear-when-cold-major-shift-lag-when-fully-warm-68187.html)

14srt 11-20-2013 08:39 PM

Missing 2nd and 3rd gear when cold, major shift lag when fully warm

First off, I feel bad that it seems anytime I post on here it is regarding a issue I am having and not contributing to threads/discussion. I have had a pretty extensive list of issues with my 14 since new but this is an all time bad.

It started with the dreaded oil leak. Pools of oil on the garage floor every morning and the smell of burnt oil during my drive home from work. The dealer blamed a bad filter and did a shoddy job of cleaning up the oil and it still smelled when driven hard for about 2 months. Then I brought it in for the new rear shaft due to the deceleration whistle. While the whistle went away I now get a loud "supercharger whine" when the car is driven harder then 3/4 throttle. Many occupants have asked if the beast is supercharged due to how loud the whine is. Well, it's definitely not! Additionally, since the car was new it has had a very detectable vibration between 2200-3100 rpm. No matter how much gas I give it or what gear I'm in.

In the past few weeks I started to notice a lag between shifts when the car was in D. I assumed I was just used to keeping it in S and left it alone. Then, about 2 weeks ago I was showing off for a coworker and did a launch while entering an on ramp. The car whined it's way to 2nd where it did not shift, killed all of the power and forced me to pull over and idle to a stop. I took back off at a normal pace and everything seemed fine. Now this week, when I first start the car i can not even give it half throttle without the car refusing to shift from 1-2 or 2-3. When it does shift it is with a thud and a looong lag It's scary, embarrassing, and probably getting to the point of unsafe. I have a dealer appointment on Monday which was the soonest they could get me in with a loner. (which I practically begged the srt hotline for).

Does alone else have these transmission issues?! I have herd of some 3.6 drivers having issues but the srt forums have been quiet.

Thanks everyone!

My issues:
Horrible shifts
Whine sounds when accelerating
Rancid smelling HVAC
Oil leaking
Drivetrain whistle (fixed)

phillysrt 11-20-2013 11:14 PM

Man that's tough. I have not experiences anything like that at all. I had alittle bit of a hard time with mine when I first got it but it was little odds and ends. Keep us posted as to what happened. Maybe try to get a video??? Goodluck and keep us posted

14srt 11-20-2013 11:30 PM

I actually did get a video this morning. I will try another tomorrow and post the link here in the afternoon.

mrmaker 11-21-2013 07:16 AM

Re: Missing 2nd and 3rd gear when cold, major shift lag when fully warm

I feel for you buddy, i hope your troubles end soon. I like Philly have had minor issues not worth a mention in comparison to yours, let us all know how it pans out for you.

lillyjas 11-23-2013 01:37 PM

I have had the oil leak issue, had an evap sensor go out, but otherwise pretty good... I still hear a little exhaust rattle when going through a drive thru... But they said was normal. Did have to replace plastic piece on dash as it was warped...

Got mine 4-30-13 and was on the lot for 12 days so must have been an early build, but appears I am lucky thus far

Scottina06 11-23-2013 01:45 PM

any repairs done? sounds like a bad tcm

14srt 11-25-2013 02:33 PM

I finally got it into the dealership today. I was under the car on Saturday and noticed a lot of oil/fluid around the transmission. I think i have a considerable leak in there. It shifted like crap all weekend and had some unbelievably hard downshifts on my way to the dealer today. Lets hope they just swap that puppy out for a new tranny!!!

I posted a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfCfMq7Zhms

Don't mind the pissed off tone in my voice... haha!

mrmaker 11-25-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14srt (Post 935857)
I finally got it into the dealership today. I was under the car on Saturday and noticed a lot of oil/fluid around the transmission. I think i have a considerable leak in there. It shifted like crap all weekend and had some unbelievably hard downshifts on my way to the dealer today. Lets hope they just swap that puppy out for a new tranny!!!

I posted a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfCfMq7Zhms

Don't mind the pissed off tone in my voice... haha!

I would be pretty pissed off if my SRT was doing the same, if it is tranny, which it sounds as though it is given all the oil underneath, i would push for a new replacement. Hopefully the dealer does the right thing by you.

K_SRT8 11-26-2013 01:44 PM

Maybe you have a defected car, they should replace the car with new one if it is like that from the day you bought it.

14srt 12-05-2013 05:18 PM

Well.... after 11 days in service they called and said the vehicle was ready fow pickup! I was told that the two issues addressed were a TCM reflash and a new transfer case seal as it was leaking fluid. I was honestly very surprised that it was only a software issue considering it felt very mechanical to me.

So.... i drove off the lot after waiting for the engine to heat up a bit and gave it about 75% throttle on the freeway on ramp about a mile away. 1-2 shift successful!!! 2-3... no shift then hit rev limiter, killed power and then griped onto 4th and away I went. I got off at the next exit and tried a full throttle re-merge. Car had no idea what to do at redline, abruptly shifted into i believe 2nd for a moment, then 3rd, then back to 2nd, all while not making any forward movement after its first attempt. Needless to say I was back in the service drive minutes later. They are at a loss and will prob have the car for another long chunk of time. A week more and I might be the first 2014 SRT owner on the forum to lemon law this POS. I would not ask for a refund, I truly like the car (when its running well) and just want an exact replacement if it cant be fixed this time.

Anyways, thanks for letting me rant! Im getting quite comfortable in my 170HP GMC terrain....:lol:

mrmaker 12-06-2013 06:48 AM

I feel for you man, your situation is not good. It is obvious that they don't know what the problem is, hence have no way of fixing. The way you describe the cars reaction sounds dangerous to you and those around you. I would be pushing hard and not be accepting anything other than a replacement.

Wish you all the best.

Chunderboy 12-06-2013 12:49 PM

That has got to be a terrible feeling. Good luck with the outcome and hope you can get into a new one (minus the problems).