Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Purpose of armrest usb? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/purpose-of-armrest-usb-68214.html)

ClarksHawk 11-21-2013 04:45 PM

Purpose of armrest usb?

2013 Trailhawk with 430n.

I have the usb in the armrest. It can charge my phone, but that's it.. every three seconds or so, my phone pops up with a message saying connected as usb storage, but then says no software found on the "computer"

So what is the use of this port?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

exlr8 11-21-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarksHawk (Post 933846)
2013 Trailhawk with 430n.

I have the usb in the armrest. It can charge my phone, but that's it.. every three seconds or so, my phone pops up with a message saying connected as usb storage, but then says no software found on the "computer"

So what is the use of this port?

I,ve always used it for the iPod.

ClarksHawk 11-21-2013 04:58 PM

Re: Purpose of armrest usb?

Quote:

Originally Posted by exlr8 (Post 933853)
I,ve always used it for the iPod.

so.. its just an iPod port?

Todd3.6 11-21-2013 09:42 PM

Drop some MP3 files on a flash drive and plug it in.
The radio will find the drive and start playing songs.

If you want to actually transfer tunes to the internal hard drive, you have to plug into the port on the radio.

ClarksHawk 11-21-2013 10:22 PM

think that thing has enough power to run a small seagate external HD? hmm... must try..

Todd3.6 11-21-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarksHawk (Post 934016)
think that thing has enough power to run a small seagate external HD? hmm... must try..

Probably not.
Those usually have dual USB connectors to be able to pull enough power to spin the HD.

Flash drives take very little power to read/write data (no motors to spin).

On the other hand...
If you took an external USB drive and cracked it open and put an SSD (Solid State Drive) in it, then you might be able to run it off that port.

But the SSD would quickly degrade because the OS wouldn't know to enforce TRIM on it.

whartung 11-22-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd3.6 (Post 934058)
But the SSD would quickly degrade because the OS wouldn't know to enforce TRIM on it.

To be pedantic, writing is what harms flash memories (which are within SSDs, among other things), not reading. Dunno how much writing the radio does, but I'm guessing not a whole lot. Your USB flash stick is just as vulnerable to degradation, if not more so, as the SSD is. SSDs at least has some logic to remap sectors when things go awry.

But, either one being used to serve up a couple dozen songs a day will last for years and years.

ClarksHawk 11-22-2013 01:17 PM

Geek alert. Haha kidding.

Thanks guys, I do have a few "big" usb sticks I can and will drop music on. I was just asking about the exthd so I can be lazy and not have to sort and transfer. Lol.

As far as degradation.. its not the only place I have my music stored so thats not an issue. Heck, im sure id lose the usb stick before it stops working haha