Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Run Flat Tires on Limited? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/run-flat-tires-on-limited-68236.html)

candyman 11-22-2013 07:06 AM

Run Flat Tires on Limited?

My owners manual package came with an insert stating that my vehicle comes equipped with run flat tires. I thought run flats were only installed on the SRT model. My Limited has the 18" polished aluminum wheels. The window sticker shows the tires are P265/60R18 BSW AS On/Off-Rd Low Roll Resist Tires.

Can anyone tell me how to determine if they are, in fact, run flat tires?

crazyeddie 11-22-2013 07:13 AM

Re: Run Flat Tires on Limited?

My 2014 Overland also came with that same insert. I've got 20 inch Goodyear's, I checked them on Tire-rack and they are not run flats--ce

bobbyovrlnd14 11-22-2013 07:52 AM

That would've been a nice option though

candyman 11-22-2013 07:56 AM

Thanks CE,

I wonder how many people without run-flat tires will go through the onerous task of swapping out a rear tire and putting the spare on the rear if they get a flat in front. This is my understanding of the what has to be done for a front flat:

1. Jack front, remove flat and replace with spare
2. Jack rear, put flat on
3. Jack front, remove spare and replace with rear tire
4. Jack rear, remove flat and replace with spare

W/o run flats you're done after step 1. After explaining the procedure to her, my wife said "good thing we have AAA".

bobbyovrlnd14 11-22-2013 08:04 AM

Wow ok I'll stick with stock option lol

Red G8R 11-22-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 934155)
Thanks CE,

I wonder how many people without run-flat tires will go through the onerous task of swapping out a rear tire and putting the spare on the rear if they get a flat in front. This is my understanding of the what has to be done for a front flat:

1. Jack front, remove flat and replace with spare
2. Jack rear, put flat on
3. Jack front, remove spare and replace with rear tire
4. Jack rear, remove flat and replace with spare

W/o run flats you're done after step 1. After explaining the procedure to her, my wife said "good thing we have AAA".

What are you talking about???
Never heard of such a procedure to change a flat. Just replace the flat with the spare and after repairing the flat, replace where it came from.

crabman 11-22-2013 09:16 AM

I took it that he meant those with space savers? Frankly though the one time I ran into it I put it on the front anyways beings as I had a short distance to go and didn't have a problem, it just pulled a little.

candyman 11-22-2013 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Red,

It is ridiculous, but I guess you would have to read the run-flat insert to understand. Apparently the spare tire cannot be used on the front of the vehicle if you have run-flat tires.

After reviewing the insert again, it does look like I overstated the steps. You only have to put the spare on the rear and move the rear to the front. It seems counter-intuitive though. I attached a pic of the insert

fun2drive 11-22-2013 11:59 AM

That is a lawyer warning and has to do with the issue of liability if the donut fails. I have been running run flats for 7 years and I don't even have a spare with my BMW so this isn't an issue on that car. They want the non run flat tire on the front to keep some idiot from getting a lawyer and suing them for loss of control.
The manufacturer can't be assured users will use good judgement thus the warning. Run flat tires are more common now but I am happy to have a spare on the JGC with regular tires...

overlanding 11-22-2013 12:04 PM

My experience with run flats is that they are generally roooouuuugh. They were great in my wife's 335i but I can't imagine them on something like a non SRT GC.

12Jeep 11-22-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red G8R (Post 934181)
What are you talking about??? Never heard of such a procedure to change a flat. Just replace the flat with the spare and after repairing the flat, replace where it came from.

You only need to follow that process for the SRTs, spare tire is not big enough to clear the big brembo brakes on front.

crabman 11-22-2013 12:49 PM

Ah, that makes more sense then. Had me puzzled.