Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Bad upgrade on my 2011 MyGig RBZ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/bad-upgrade-on-my-2011-mygig-rbz-68238.html)

jimexcelcs 11-22-2013 08:29 AM

Bad upgrade on my 2011 MyGig RBZ

I've visited these forums a number of times since I bought my Grand Cherokee. You guys rock but I did something stupid.

So I heard there was a new software update available for the RBZ radio in my 2011 MyGig RBZ unit. I gathered that from this thread: New Software Update MyGIG RBZ-RB2-RHB / 33.01.23

So I excitedly downloaded the software and tried to perform the upgrade. It didn't go well. It is stuck in a boot-loop. It displays the JEEP logo for 5 minutes or so then reboots and does the same thing again. I just got back from a 2 hour road trip and it did this the whole time.

So the question is: How badly screwed am I? I'm a computer technician so I can reformat the hard drive but I suspect I did a "flash" (aka ROM) upgrade and hosed the thing for good.

BONUS QUESTION: Assuming it is now a brick, finding a replacement for this thing is frustrating. Does anyone know THE part number I need to order an exact replacement?

Maliberti 11-22-2013 09:33 AM

Re: Bad upgrade on my 2011 MyGig RBZ

Te Jeep runs on QNX platform. I highly doubt you bricked the computer and need to replace it.

Call the dealer and have them re install .

jimexcelcs 11-22-2013 12:50 PM

I did that. They wanted to replace it and didn't seem to know what the heck they were talking about.

I'm a computer technician. I can re-image the hard drive myself but I keep hearing that what I did was a ROM update that is unaffected by a HD swap.

scooterha 11-22-2013 02:44 PM

isn't there a way to take it back to the factory settings?

Todd3.6 11-24-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimexcelcs (Post 934304)
I did that. They wanted to replace it and didn't seem to know what the heck they were talking about.

I'm a computer technician. I can re-image the hard drive myself but I keep hearing that what I did was a ROM update that is unaffected by a HD swap.

Ha, my experience lately with dealer 'techs' is that they usually don't comment/know much beyond what the factory tells them. If they do know more, they can't tell you without getting in trouble, especially at the dealer.

I'm pretty sure these are ROM/firmware updates too.
And as you stated, I don't think re-imaging the HD would help.
If you are out of warranty, the best thing might be to start searching auto recycler sites to look for a replacement.

OR...
Since it's 'bricked' anyways...
Take it out and take it apart and see what you can find out.
Once you know what the 'guts' are, you may be able to find something in a Google search that would help to reset it.

If you do, please share, I'm sure others would like to know just in case.

I kinda know how you feel, except not quite as expensive of a mistake.
Decided to convert my Nook Tablet to Cyanogenmod, accidentally wiped the backup file and didn't have it working yet. So I just kept plugging away at it and finally got it working. Haven't looked back since.

rich mac 11-25-2013 09:56 PM

I 'bricked' the radio/nav unit in my '10 Ford Explorer recently. I was upgrading my map data which required a firmware upgrade. Navteq sold me the software and nav update for $199 plus shipping and handling. While installing the firmware update the disc crashed. A call to Navteq resulted in their offer to replace the software.

Maliberti 11-27-2013 11:24 AM

I stand by my original post.
I have dealt with qnx platform for a long time and you can not brick the hardware. You say you are in a boor loop, another sign the hardware is nor bricked.

Extract the working version from another car or rent a jeep and get the software. If you are in the Seattle area, contact me and I will look at it otherwise, l will take it from you and pay the shipping fee if you are going to dump it.

*sox* 11-27-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maliberti (Post 936932)
I stand by my original post.
I have dealt with qnx platform for a long time and you can not brick the hardware. You say you are in a boor loop, another sign the hardware is nor bricked.

Extract the working version from another car or rent a jeep and get the software. If you are in the Seattle area, contact me and I will look at it otherwise, l will take it from you and pay the shipping fee if you are going to dump it.

lo

x2........and all Mitsubishi unit RB2-RBZ-RHB have encryption hdd all hdd are Close.