Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Cooling problems on hills (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/cooling-problems-on-hills-68314.html)

RonMcGr 11-23-2013 11:43 PM

Cooling problems on hills

Hi Guys,

We have a new Ecodiesel 8 speed and I think it is the best Vehicle I've ever owned :D
Given that I bought my first car in 1967 and have owned 25 cars from then until 2013, that is high praise for a Jeep. :lol:

The only problem I have with the car is keeping it cool, when towing.
I live in Australia and tow a 2.6 tonne caravan.
The Jeep does it with ease and returns a fantastic fuel mileage of 13.5 litres per 100 km, when towing.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...66626948_n.jpg

This is it all hooked up and ready to go.
BTW I removed the "grill" under the nudge bar, to get better air flow.

On the highway and over small hills the engine temperature is fine. Once we start climbing a range, the temp gauge rises almost to the red area, then drops as quick as it goes up, when going down the other side.

I'm wondering if any one else has this problem?

I suspect a bigger electric fan would help, or, an addition fan in front of the radiator area.

Any idea's out there?

Cheers,
Ron

fwdjeep 11-24-2013 12:45 AM

Yep same issue

RonMcGr 11-24-2013 01:38 AM

Re: Cooling problems on hills

I'm heading up to the Daughter and Son in law's place over Christmas, in Rockhampton.

I have two brand new 10" Davies Craig fans that I did not put on a LR Disco V8, that I once owned.

I might fit them in front of the tranny cooler before we leave and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers,
Ron

RonMcGr 11-24-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMcGr (Post 935154)
I'm heading up to the Daughter and Son in law's place over Christmas, in Rockhampton.

I have two brand new 10" Davies Craig fans that I did not put on a LR Disco V8, that I once owned.

I might fit them in front of the tranny cooler before we leave and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers,
Ron

Change of plans, the car is new and has a 3 year warranty. I have been told, "Do Not Touch the Car"! It may void the warranty.:eek:

Therefore I shall report it, request they look into and up grade and if nothing happens and the engine cooks, Jeep can replace it!

Cheers,
Ron

fwdjeep 11-24-2013 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMcGr (Post 935163)

Change of plans, the car is new and has a 3 year warranty. I have been told, "Do Not Touch the Car"! It may void the warranty.:eek:

Therefore I shall report it, request they look into and up grade and if nothing happens and the engine cooks, Jeep can replace it!

Cheers,
Ron

My thoughts as wll

nailem 11-24-2013 08:31 AM

That is not good news. The 05' Duramax was plagued with overheating issues in an otherwise great truck. In 06' problem went away. Guys tried everything from electric fans, larger radiators, additional radiator, and redirecting air. All made small improvements but never really cured it.in some cases Chevy bought back the trucks. All this only happened under certain circumstances, upper 90* air temp. 10,000lb load or more and long up hill stretches.
Please document: outside air temperature, weight of load, length and steepness of hill.

crabman 11-24-2013 08:31 AM

What you need is a larger capacity radiator. I did a search out of curiosity myself and didn't find one on the shelf but here in the states there are some specialty shops that will make you one. You need only open you wallet... wide. lol Not sure if you have such there.

Setoutguy 11-24-2013 08:40 AM

How accurate is the gauge? How accurate is the sender? You can test both by dropping in boiling water etc If its available in Australia you may want to take a look at Redline's Water Wetter. Might help with your temps and give you some peace of mind. I know Water Wetter works from track days in my 3 series. I have no experience with Royal Purple's similar product. You may want to ask Redline tech line about using it with a diesel

Is your nudge bar effecting air flow to the radiator? You might try removing it and replacing the grill.

Have you hosed out radiator?? Not with a pressure water or any pressure but just run water over it to get out dirt, sand etc?

moosehead 11-24-2013 10:36 AM

Recognizing this is apples to oranges, I tow circa 6k lb loads over 11k' elevation mountain passes with only minor temp increases in a 2011 5.7L. The only situation where temps bump up considerably are when sitting in traffic with no air flow.

Again, I have no diesel comparison, but the temp increases you describe would be concerning, or is that normal for a diesel?

nailem 11-24-2013 10:58 AM

You could try a larger radiator. hopefully there will be an easy fix but like I said they tried everything in the 05' duramax. All kinds of homemade and after market kits with more fans, radiators, intercoolers. Chevy corrected it in 06' with increased cooling internally in the motor. It had to be all three things at once; 98*, long steep grade,11,000lbs. Would not do it if you had the first two but only 9,500lbs.

Setoutguy 11-24-2013 12:04 PM

Unless you know how accurate the sender and the gauge are you really dont know what temp is. You need to verify the accuracy of both first before worrying.

Again hose out the radiator with gentle water pressure.

RonMcGr 11-24-2013 04:44 PM

Hi Guys, as the car is still under warranty my hands are tied.
I can request the dealer to clean out the radiator, but that is about all.

The nudge bar no longer has the metal shield near the bottom, so air flow is not restricted.

We are taking about 10% inclines for short distances, over a non stop range of 2 to 3 miles. ie. Crossing a mountain range that may rise from 100 feet above sea level to 1,000 ft. (Australia has lots of them)

Total towed weight is 5,760 lbs.

Cheers,
Ron