Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Question regarding programming key fob to memory?

Tags
ram
19K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  mike4051 
#1 ·
I have a new 2014 Overland to replace my 2011. I have tried unsuccessfully to program my key Fob to my memory settings. The instructions say to press a settings button (1 or 2) and then press and release the lock button on the key Fob. This should be done with the ignition in the off mode. I am then instructed to turn the ignition to the on mode and the EVIC allows me to select yes to the question remote link to memory. I do not get this message. What am I missing here?

#2 ·
See this post here, I have done this successfully with key 2, about to set Key 1.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/2014-grand-cherokee-information-australia-54650-106.html#post859710

Austin - I tested it tonight and through various dicking with it - I got it to work. It is an extension of what we have on WK (which never really worked to be honest, well it did (I'm being unkind) but not the same as WK2 but close enough).

So - I found, you have to first check two boxes on the Uconnect system.

1: Settings - Doors and Locks - Personal settings linked to Key Fob. CHECK

2: Settings - Engine Off Option - Easy Exit Option. CHECK

No surprises with checking #1 but it wasn't until I checked #2 that it actually worked.

After these two options checked, then I took Key Fob #1 and started the car. Pressed memory setting 1 on the door panel (my setting), it reconfigured the steering column and seat and then I pressed the Lock option on the key fob. A few clicks and lights flashed and it was set.

Then shut down car, went inside and got Key Fob #2 (Sam's key) and started the car. Pressed memory setting 2 on the door panel (his setting), it reconfigured the steering colum and seat and I pressed the Lock option on his key fob.
Same clicks and lights flash and it was set.

Tested between the two fobs. It works each time. :)

It did not work however prior to me setting the Easy Exit Option check box.

Anyway, give it a go - it does work. :)

Oh - the Easy Exit option, works in the same way as our '07 JGC. When the engine is turned off, it adjusts the steering column and also the drivers seat backwards to give you more room to exit (just in case you are wondering what that is).

#3 ·
I am then instructed to turn the ignition to the on mode and the EVIC allows me to select yes to the question remote link to memory. I do not get this message. What am I missing here?
Where are you instructed to do this?

this is what my manual says:

To program your RKE transmitters, perform the following:

1. Remove the Key Fob from the ignition (or change the ignition to OFF, for vehicles equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go).

2. Select desired memory profile (1) or (2).

NOTE: If a memory profile has not already been set, refer to ?Programming The Memory Feature? for instruc- tions on how to set a memory profile.

3. Once the profile has been recalled, press and release the SET (S) button on the memory switch, then press and release button (1) or (2) accordingly. “Memory Profile Set” (1 or 2) will display in the instrument cluster on vehicles equipped with the EVIC.

4. Press and release the LOCK button on the RKE transmitter within 10 seconds.

I have tried this way, and the link I put above and can't get Key 1 to Program.

#4 ·
Where are you instructed to do this?

this is what my manual says:

To program your RKE transmitters, perform the following:

1. Remove the Key Fob from the ignition (or change the ignition to OFF, for vehicles equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go).

2. Select desired memory profile (1) or (2).

NOTE: If a memory profile has not already been set, refer to ��Programming The Memory Feature�� for instruc- tions on how to set a memory profile.

3. Once the profile has been recalled, press and release the SET (S) button on the memory switch, then press and release button (1) or (2) accordingly. “Memory Profile Set” (1 or 2) will display in the instrument cluster on vehicles equipped with the EVIC.

4. Press and release the LOCK button on the RKE transmitter within 10 seconds.

I have tried this way, and the link I put above and can't get Key 1 to Program.
I'm having nothing but problems with the memory in this system. It confuses driver 1 & 2 radio presets and doesn't change the steering wheel position from easy entry/exit at all sometimes.
It's going to the dealer on Tues for this these issues along with the recall for the EVIC/ABS update.

Those Owners Manual instructions are just goofy! The key is OFF so nothing is going to display in the EVIC or the Uconnect screen to confirm "Memory Profile Set" (1 or 2). I don't any messages regarding this system in the EVIC, only on the Uconnect screen if the key is on and you save a new seat, mirror, or steering wheel postion to memory will you see a message that driver 1 or 2 settings have been saved.
There a no messages that tell you if linking or unlinking fobs was successful or not.

#7 ·
Well I tried that and it also dod not work.
I think I am having issues just programming my seat to option 1 or 2. I put my car in "run" without starting the engine, then I press "s", then 1. I thought I had it set, but when my wife took my car out this weekend (for the first time), I pressed 1 to return everything to my settings and the seat did not move.

I tried setting it again and I feel like nothing is happening. Do you get any feedback when you have successfully set your memory settings?

Thanks.

P.S. I have a 5.7 2014 Summit.

#8 ·
Yes, I always get confirmation that the setting is programmed, well 99% of the time.

Several have said that mobile phones can cause interference with the key programming or working in any way.
I have always had the iphone with me when trying it, so I will do so without it tonight.

#12 ·
When you punch it???

Both for programming door, not sure about key.

Reactions: Bkmb04
#16 ·
I have tried all the techniques in the quick guide, owners manuals (I have 2 and the procedures are different in each) and all of the tips in this thread. Still nothing. I never get any messages from UConnnect that the FOB has been programmed, and, of course, they don't work. Also, I have set the Passive Entry on in UConnect and it doesn't appear to do anything either. That is, not only does it not impact the programming of the FOBs, but it doesn't cause the set to move when entering/exiting the car.

I've spent 2 hours trying to get these programmed. Very frustrating.

#17 ·
I spent that long in the second fob. One night it just worked and I had done nothing different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.