Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Engine break-in.........

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Dubbwah 
#1 · (Edited)
From the {downloaded} User Guide................

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
• A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission
and axle) in your vehicle.
• Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles
(100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
• While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws
contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be
detrimental and should be avoided.
• The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy
conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated
climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended
viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Maintaining Your Vehicle.”​
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

After 60 miles, speeds of 50 or 55 mph are desirable....got it.
First 300 miles drive moderately...got it.
What are they saying about speeds for the first 60 miles.....school zone speeds?

Break-in is important to me - still have 2002 Jeep Liberty to be replaced by a 2014 Cherokee.

Desert Hiker

See less See more
Reactions: RallyBud
#3 ·
Drive it like you stole it.

Took two guys from the dealer with me when it came off the truck with 6 miles. Went through the gears manually, used sport mode on the street, 4x4 low range with locked rear in a field.

That was the break-in. I knew I had bought a fine vehicle, and the two sales guys, after a brief recovery, are now better able to sell them.

I am a believer in breaking in a vehicle as it is going to be driven and trusting in good engineering and good sub-suppliers.

It is a Cherokee.
Maybe someday everyone will get it. Meanwhile a few of us are ahead of the curve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.