Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   My Jeep tried to kill me!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/my-jeep-tried-to-kill-me-6835.html)

Martyp 02-23-2010 12:37 PM

My Jeep tried to kill me!!

Well, maybe that's exaggerating it a bit...

I was driving home from work tonight and hit a fairly sharp bend at the speeds actually slower than I did on the old 17" rims and the whole truck kinda slipped, but it felt as though it could have rolled if I was going any faster.

Now I've never experienced this before when the wheels were on the last time and it definitely feels as though it is coming from the rear end. When I was putting the rims on I noticed the front two had two wheel weights and the rears only had one.

Do you think if the power coater screwed up the wheel balancing it could cause this?

I'd like to get a rough idea before I go to a shop and would rather start with the cheap things first although I'm hoping to get it looked at this week as it wouldn't have been the same out come if another car was beside me.

Thanks in advance guys! :thumbsup:

White WK Swagga 02-23-2010 12:45 PM

Re: My Jeep tried to kill me!!

Maybe the difference in offset from your stocks could change the ride a little.

Martyp 02-23-2010 12:56 PM

Yeah, but it has never done that when they were on before - I used to be able to take corners faster...

White WK Swagga 02-23-2010 01:12 PM

What were the road conditions? I believe the balancing has more to do with vibrations from the wheel due to unbalanced centrifugal force. I don't think that would throw the traction off much. Was the tire pressure up to par?

StoneCold 02-23-2010 01:13 PM

Doesn't sound good. I've noticed mine slipping just a bit, the last few days on and off. I've just put it down to ice etc

I'm also aware that my tracking needs done since having new tyres fitted

Martyp 02-23-2010 01:42 PM

Well, the road was dry, it was sunny all day and the temp at the time was 35oF according to the EVIC.

I checked all tyres before fitting them and they're set at 34 PSI each corner.

I didn't think wheel balancing could cause this either but the fact the rears seem to be missing? two I wasn't sure if it was an obvious cause.

Darren, yeah I need to get the tracking done but its going in a straight line at the moment and was gonna get that done come MoT time.

I'm seriously thinking of overhauling the entire suspension; Edelbrock IAS shocks, Eibach springs, Eibach sways (maybe, just 'cos they're red really :D ) and anything else that looks worn. I'd need to sell a lens to do it but I think it could be worth it, 'cos my breaks need doing to... Decisions, decisions...

StoneCold 02-23-2010 01:49 PM

There's a guy I used to work on the doors with who has his own tyre/wheel shop. I can ask him if the weights would cause this. I would think you'd need the same weights on all four as it's 4WD, but that is my very amateur opinion lol.

I'm with you the suspension thing. I'd like to get mine done, but also got brakes to do first

Martyp 02-23-2010 02:12 PM

Cool, that'd be great Darren.

I'll try and get the Jeep booked in for Friday afternoon for tracking and wheel balancing and get them to do an inspection on the suspension while they're at it...

I'd love to get this truck to handle like its on rails and the red shocks would look great behind the rims, maybe give me a better launch at the track too. :D

dhillon09 02-23-2010 03:14 PM

I'd have to suggest you do the eibach and shock upgrade, I mean to do it too but it's always better when someone with a nice camera does a writeup so you can just follow along :D

Martyp 02-23-2010 03:27 PM

Haha, I wouldn't be doing the work myself though - heck I wouldn't trust myself changing spark plugs. The K&N CAI was really testing my mechanical abilities.

I'd get some pretty pictures of them installed though! :D

Motteler621 02-23-2010 03:33 PM

honestly its probably just the tires themselves. what kind of tires are you running. You dont need the same wieghts on all 4 tires and plus it is very minimal weight, only corrects vibrations at high spinning speeds. If you had the same weights on all tires then it would be very hard to balance them.

Martyp 02-23-2010 03:37 PM

Hmm, I suppose I never ran these tyres over the Winter before so maybe its just because they're cold - the corner is less than a mile from my office.

I thought the weights were only to stop vibrations at high speeds too...

I have General Grabber UHP tyres with less than 1000 miles on them on all corners.