Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   OEM tires are horrible in Snow. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/oem-tires-are-horrible-in-snow-68478.html)

glock17 11-26-2013 07:06 PM

OEM tires are horrible in Snow.

Believe it is time to buy better quality tires - Had <1" of snow on the roads this morning and I couldn't believe how horrible the GC drove. Going down a winding road <20mph and the front end was all over the place. I decided to switch to snow mode but it made no difference. My prior Escalade with Bridgestone Duel Hullers handled the snow great. Thinking of swapping the OEM's out. Anyone else notice this ?

silvermax04 11-26-2013 07:12 PM

Re: OEM tires are horrible in Snow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock17 (Post 936609)
Believe it is time to buy better quality tires - Had <1" of snow on the roads this morning and I couldn't believe how horrible the GC drove. Going down a winding road <20mph and the front end was all over the place. I decided to switch to snow mode but it made no difference. My prior Escalade with Bridgestone Duel Hullers handled the snow great. Thinking of swapping the OEM's out. Anyone else notice this ?

yeah the forteras are not good, I am considering the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. there are not that many to pick from in the 265/50 20 size. The Dueler seems to rate one of the best for an on road tire of that size.

subbie09 11-26-2013 07:17 PM

Nitto Terra Graplers or step up a size to Cooper Zeon LTZ

Setoutguy 11-26-2013 08:11 PM

The first inch of snow is the toughest to drive on. What were the temps outside? Bet they were between 28 to around 34 degrees when snow is the slickest.

You may want to consider winter tires.

Also remember with the 20" wheel and tire combo you are running a 50 series tire which does great in dry but doesnt put a lot of psi down because of the tire contact patch on snow. A 18" wheel and 60 series or the 17" wheel and 70 series with the same tire would have done better in the snow.

5.7summit 11-26-2013 08:44 PM

You should try it on the 3 season Pirellis the SRT comes with. Shoot under 40 deg F is like driving on ice

2014BB 11-26-2013 08:48 PM

I am pleased with how my forteras have handled snow so far this year. I have been through a day with 4" of snow and then a couple inches yesterday. I tried to get the tires to spin but it was hard to do. I'm looking forward to this winter with my new Jeep. I bet these tires will pass the test.

JeeperJohn 11-26-2013 08:56 PM

Consider keeping the Forteras as 3 season tires and getting a dedicated snow tire like Blizzaks or X-Ice for the winter. One year round tire will always be a compromise. Go to 18 inch for the snows so have dedicated wheels and just swap em.

ucla95 11-26-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock17 (Post 936609)

How many miles on your tires?

Aiyer 11-27-2013 12:03 AM

I found the same thing. My stock Latitudes sucked in the first snow. I got a set of wheel/tires (5 wheels/tires) from a 2012 JKU with 200 miles on it for $500 on Craigslist. Bridgestone Duelers AT. They did very well on snow and also on off-road trails.

Now, I have 2 sets of wheels... I use the stock ones in summer and whenever I go off-road or in winter, I put the wheels I got from the JKU.

Good luck...
-A

johnnyiowa 11-27-2013 01:43 AM

My solution is to get a set of Michelin X-ICE with 18" wheels. http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/ready...2-a-68186.html

glock17 11-27-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucla95 (Post 936686)
How many miles on your tires?

Just turned 9K, one would think still very young

glock17 11-27-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setoutguy (Post 936640)
The first inch of snow is the toughest to drive on. What were the temps outside? Bet they were between 28 to around 34 degrees when snow is the slickest.

You may want to consider winter tires.

Also remember with the 20" wheel and tire combo you are running a 50 series tire which does great in dry but doesnt put a lot of psi down because of the tire contact patch on snow. A 18" wheel and 60 series or the 17" wheel and 70 series with the same tire would have done better in the snow.

What's interesting is I had 22's on the Caddy and rarely had an issue, yes temp was 27 out. I may drop the pressure in the tires to 34 and see if it handles better.