Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Thinking of trading up (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/thinking-of-trading-up-68511.html)

HeadShrinkerMD 11-27-2013 03:34 PM

Thinking of trading up
 
From my 2014 Laredo E 4x4 to a 2014 Limited or Overland with the 5.7L and 4x4.

I'm not really sure why, I've just gotten the itch for more torque but overall I love my current GC. Heated seats, sunroof, 8.4N are all really tempting.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps968f2592.png

JeepGCOverland 11-27-2013 03:41 PM

Go for it. If you are making the jump, you might as well go all the way up to the Overland (if you can afford it).

Setoutguy 11-27-2013 04:06 PM

Re: Thinking of trading up
 
Just remember the Chrysler V8 is most outdated V8 when compared to Ford, BMW, MB, and GM. Twin plugs are not the hottest current technology.

Test drive and see.

A 5l V8 based on the 3.6l V8 could put out 400+hp without a problem and wiegh significantly less.

And the best part is no more so called hemi commercials

Marlon_JB2 11-27-2013 04:42 PM

Re: Thinking of trading up
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Setoutguy (Post 937105)
Just remember the Chrysler V8 is most outdated V8 when compared to Ford, BMW, MB, and GM.

Not for much longer... :D

JeepGCOverland 11-27-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon_JB2 (Post 937116)
Not for much longer... :D

Will it come before the 2017 MY?

Marlon_JB2 11-27-2013 05:03 PM

Re: Thinking of trading up
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGCOverland (Post 937124)
Will it come before the 2017 MY?

Don't know yet.

JeepGCOverland 11-27-2013 05:06 PM

Re: Thinking of trading up
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon_JB2 (Post 937127)
Don't know yet.

Do you have any other info on it (that you could give out without being fired, of course)?

Also, sorry to hear that you have to go into work tomorrow. Hopefully you will still have some time to celebrate with your family/friends.

lstowell 11-27-2013 06:26 PM

Re: Thinking of trading up
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Setoutguy (Post 937105)
Just remember the Chrysler V8 is most outdated V8 when compared to Ford, BMW, MB, and GM. Twin plugs are not the hottest current technology.

Test drive and see.

A 5l V8 based on the 3.6l V8 could put out 400+hp without a problem and wiegh significantly less.

And the best part is no more so called hemi commercials

None of which is particularly accurate or relevant.


There is no V8 based on the V6 [not 8], and the twin ignition [which dates at least back to the Nash in the '30s or probably further, helps with burn, which helps keep the latest generation of Hemi [which shares little with the 60's hemi other than name--arguably even less so than the Chevy small block] available as a choice.

Methinks the person here suffers from a severe case of Hemi Envy......

The Hemi is notably faster all the way from zero.
If you want torque, test the diesel, but once you get up into 60 mph or higher, the Hemi's torque and power just keep going and going and going to speeds not really
that sane on an SUV, whereas the diesel doesn't have the 80mph passing capability
of the hemi--and the poor V6 is over whimpering in the slow lane already.

A Banks tuned diesel would probably haul a lot of groceries as well as a lot of *ss though.

Get the adv techno group, and I'd stick with the OR-II so you get the 18 inch wheels.

lstowell 11-27-2013 06:28 PM

Re: Thinking of trading up
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon_JB2 (Post 937127)
Don't know yet.

Dish!!!

Direct injection?

Quadruple overhead cams?

Twin super/turbochargers?

Gazillion to 1 compression ratio?

Setoutguy 11-27-2013 06:51 PM

Re: Thinking of trading up
 
No dont have hemi envy. Nothing to envy. Even back in 1970 didnt have Hemi envy. I was into road racing so it was air cooled V12s or an aluminum rat motor in the back of a McLaren Can Am car. Chrysler Hemis never did well at Le Mans or in Can Am. How many other modern engines currently have dual plugs and are not sold by Fiat/Chrysler? Ancient technology.

They can use the cast iron block for the HD pick ups like GM does.

Dual plugs just arent needed anymore with modern technology. Dont see any dual plug engines in F1 or any premier road racing or off road racing series do you? No need for cast iron block in light duty truck or in car either. All the other manufacturers have gone to an aluminum block for light duty.

Is it a new V8 or a turbo V6 to compete with Ford, BMW,Mercedes, and GM? Chrysler should be able to get around 420hp or more easily out of a turbo V6. Fiat/Ferrari can use a tie in with F1 since for 2014 turbo V6s are the engine spec. Maybe Chrysler could then develop the engine for the 24hrs of Daytona and the 12 hours of Sebring like the Ecobust.

And the current engine isnt really a hemi now is it?

jwall04 11-27-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setoutguy (Post 937177)
No dont have hemi envy. Nothing to envy. Even back in 1970 didnt have Hemi envy. I was into road racing so it was air cooled V12s or an aluminum rat motor in the back of a McLaren Can Am car. Chrysler Hemis never did well at Le Mans or in Can Am. How many other modern engines currently have dual plugs and are not sold by Fiat/Chrysler? Ancient technology. They can use the cast iron block for the HD pick ups like GM does. Dual plugs just arent needed anymore with modern technology. Dont see any dual plug engines in F1 or any premier road racing or off road racing series do you? No need for cast iron block in light duty truck or in car either. All the other manufacturers have gone to an aluminum block for light duty. Is it a new V8 or a turbo V6 to compete with Ford, BMW,Mercedes, and GM? Chrysler should be able to get around 420hp or more easily out of a turbo V6. Fiat/Ferrari can use a tie in with F1 since for 2014 turbo V6s are the engine spec. Maybe Chrysler could then develop the engine for the 24hrs of Daytona and the 12 hours of Sebring like the Ecobust. And the current engine isnt really a hemi now is it?

I agree nothing to envy. I'm getting the V6. The hemi is old and heavy. It takes 132ft to stop compared to 118ft to stop the V6. I don't need to be passing anyone while I'm going 80mph...especially not with the super-speeder tickets they give out here in Atlanta.

jwall04 11-27-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 937162)
None of which is particularly accurate or relevant. There is no V8 based on the V6 [not 8], and the twin ignition [which dates at least back to the Nash in the '30s or probably further, helps with burn, which helps keep the latest generation of Hemi [which shares little with the 60's hemi other than name--arguably even less so than the Chevy small block] available as a choice. Methinks the person here suffers from a severe case of Hemi Envy...... The Hemi is notably faster all the way from zero. If you want torque, test the diesel, but once you get up into 60 mph or higher, the Hemi's torque and power just keep going and going and going to speeds not really that sane on an SUV, whereas the diesel doesn't have the 80mph passing capability of the hemi--and the poor V6 is over whimpering in the slow lane already. A Banks tuned diesel would probably haul a lot of groceries as well as a lot of *ss though. Get the adv techno group, and I'd stick with the OR-II so you get the 18 inch wheels.

lstowell why the 18" wheels? I ordered an Overland 4x2 and it will have the 20's. I heard the tires suck but other than that why should I get the 18's? Do you think the dealer would do an even swap off a limited for me?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community