Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   2014 Summit Audio Quality (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/2014-summit-audio-quality-68513.html)

Wxchaser 11-27-2013 04:04 PM

2014 Summit Audio Quality

Any newer Summit owners that could chime in on the quality of the audio in their Jeeps, would be great. Either looking for replacement Overland with Alpine or the upgraded Summit.

Jim_in_PA 11-27-2013 07:16 PM

Re: 2014 Summit Audio Quality

The Summit system is going to be superior to the Overland when it comes to the sound system. There was a recent thread where I saw someone comment very favorably on the Summit sound system...may be in the EcoDiesel reviews thread.

kefer 11-27-2013 10:29 PM

Honestly, I thought the Overland system was just fine, but the Harman system in the Summit combined with the suede headliner and the wheel well moldings pushed me to the Summit. If the sound system was the only difference I probably would have gone with the Overland.

Wxchaser 11-28-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kefer (Post 937287)
Honestly, I thought the Overland system was just fine, but the Harman system in the Summit combined with the suede headliner and the wheel well moldings pushed me to the Summit. If the sound system was the only difference I probably would have gone with the Overland.

Thanks for the feedback - I have my eyes on a Summit near me locally and headed up to take a look at it after Thanksgiving.

wrench 11-28-2013 09:48 AM

I've had my Summit since May 1. There are many things I like about the vehicle but my favorite has to be the sound system. I'm a 'rock and roll' and blues guy and the ambience of the interior coupled with the quality coming out of the sound system really puts a smile on my face. If you like bass, it is there. AM HD radio sounds better than SXM but you have to be quite close to an urban area to maintain the signal. An SD card sounds best to me. One proviso. I do have some high pitch ear ringing and I cannot accurately judge that range in the spectrum.

One last comment. Yesterday my Jeep went back to dealer service for the first time. Oil change, tire rotation, updates and dash/brake recall. I have experienced zero problems.

Wxchaser 11-28-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrench (Post 937407)
I've had my Summit since May 1. There are many things I like about the vehicle but my favorite has to be the sound system. I'm a 'rock and roll' and blues guy and the ambience of the interior coupled with the quality coming out of the sound system really puts a smile on my face. If you like bass, it is there. AM HD radio sounds better than SXM but you have to be quite close to an urban area to maintain the signal. An SD card sounds best to me. One proviso. I do have some high pitch ear ringing and I cannot accurately judge that range in the spectrum.

One last comment. Yesterday my Jeep went back to dealer service for the first time. Oil change, tire rotation, updates and dash/brake recall. I have experienced zero problems.

wrench - excellent feedback, just what I was wondering about. Thanks.

cancctv 11-29-2013 08:51 AM

I took delivery of my Summit Ecodiesel 3 weeks ago. The quality of the audio entertainment package is the best factory system I have ever heard. My tastes are very diverse. Mozart, British Brass Band, Rush, Aerosmith, R and B etc.

The audio response when the equalizer is set flat is perfect. Highs are perfect and mids not overbearing bass accurately represents the original recording

The overall volume control appears to be limited at the top end in order to prevent overdriving and distortion. Net result you can turn it up as high as you like and expect perfect sound without any distortion.

Bluetooth to my iPhone is excellent. Wired USB connection is better due to enhanced browsing, album art and more predictable audio levels.

In short. Unless you are the type that wants to rattle neighborhood windows with your hip hop, the audio package in the Summit is about as good as you can get.

BobsWK2 11-29-2013 06:52 PM

I had a 2012 Overland and while the sound system was OK, my current 2014 Summit is a gigantic improvement over the Overland. You WILL notice a big difference.

nev_neo 11-30-2013 08:17 PM

I have the Summit, and coming from a VW Gli, the Summit sounds so much more refined.
I feel like the Suede headliner does improve the highway road noise considerably.

Wxchaser 11-30-2013 08:26 PM

Test drove a Summit yesterday afternoon - paired my phone and listened to two tunes that sounded fantastic.What cancctv said about the flat equalizer response was true, I couldn't hear any distortion. I had the bass down 3 steps and it was still quite evident.

Great audio, no doubt.