Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Cylinder deactivation question? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/cylinder-deactivation-question-68558.html)

SummJeep 11-29-2013 09:21 AM

Cylinder deactivation question?

I guess I have two questions about it. I've got 900 km's on my new GC and have been noticing that cylinder deactivation is kicking in more now. Is that something that happens less frequent during the early break in period? The other thing that I haven't seen covered much is the mds light. I can't understand how a vehicle with so many options and digital screens wouldn't have a mds notification light? The ram has it and it's pretty much the same system? Would really love to know exactly when mds is active.

TurboRush 11-29-2013 05:38 PM

I'm making some assumptions here, but the vehicle does learn your driving habits and adapts (a la the transmission). I wouldn't be surprised that it's adapting to your driving style and knows it can use MDS more frequently if you're pretty easy on it most of the time... Just a guess though.

loveracing1988 11-29-2013 11:26 PM

I would guess the engine is breaking in so producing less friction so less parasitic load on the engine, meaning more mds usage. On my ram I have a setting to turn on the eco light that is in my radio, perhaps the grand cherokee has this?

Peter_K 11-30-2013 01:41 AM

It's more likely that the PCM MDS strategy limits it's use more (or potentially eliminates it for a short while) during the early time on the engine for break-in purposes.

Sobrut911 11-30-2013 07:31 AM

Re: Cylinder deactivation question?

On the overland you can program it so you see "Eco" in the info window when there's cylinder deactivation. You have to go settings .

2014RedHemiGC 11-30-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sobrut911 (Post 938186)
On the overland you can program it so you see "Eco" in the info window when there's cylinder deactivation. You have to go settings .

What year?

CHALLENGERBIZJET 11-30-2013 04:14 PM

How do you program the 2014s to show Eco in the display for cylinder deactivation?

bill_de 11-30-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHALLENGERBIZJET (Post 938315)
How do you program the 2014s to show Eco in the display for cylinder deactivation?

You trade it in for a 2013. :eek:

---

SummJeep 11-30-2013 10:11 PM

I have a 2014 summit and I don't see any setting on uconnect to change for a mds indicator? It seems so strange that this vehicle doesn't have it? If a dodge ram has it why can't a grand cherokee? I love this truck and its not a big deal but odd to say the least.

lstowell 12-04-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummJeep (Post 938428)
I have a 2014 summit and I don't see any setting on uconnect to change for a mds indicator? It seems so strange that this vehicle doesn't have it? If a dodge ram has it why can't a grand cherokee? I love this truck and its not a big deal but odd to say the least.

Older UConnect versions had the selection.
The one mine shipped with had it, but you couldn't select it.
Current 13.38.52 doesn't have it any more.

Barstids.