Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Ten days ownership Ten observations

5K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  peckmv 
#1 ·
Excited owner (10 days) of a 2014 Overland - (black/black, ACC, V6). First, love the machine - was a challenging wait as my rig was 12 weeks over due in arriving but I'm over that now.

Thought I would provide a few thoughts on my first 10 days of ownership. This has been sooooo helpful.

1) Have the 4.7 litre in my MY 2003 JGC - the V6 is every bit its equal in performance and shouldn't have a difficult time out performing in fuel economy.

2) Love the interior - accommodates both by 6'3" frame and the wife's 5'10" easily - seats are perfect, controls are intuitive and there's more than enough tech to keep you learning for weeks.

3) Sound system is not what I had hoped for - just stock but have heard and owned better in less up scale vehicles.

4) Love the headlights, I'm catching myself watching my reflection in store fronts, tail lights, etc... Hate the bulb in the fog lights - the head lights are snow white, bright and pop - the fog lights are dull, yellow and take away from the appearance of the rig with all the lights on.

5) Shark fin is simply too big - it stands way higher than anything I've owned before and is curiously awkward on the downward sloping roof line.

6) Was worried about the dead pedal (or lack of) from other posts I've read. Also concerned about the emergency break pedal placement. Happy to report both are fine - there is a "carpeted" formed dead peddle, not perfect but adequate. Break peddle not an issue for me anyway ( I sit low in the seat).

7) Absolutely love the advanced curse - not enough space here for me to sing the praises. Has trouble with vehicles taking off ramps in front as it wants to slow to their speed even though I'm staying on the highway but otherwise just a perfect option I almost passed on.

8) Should have went with the 18" rims - the 20s are nice but boring, was considering the ORA package for the 18s but in the end went with the 20s. I like the 18s more.

9) Have never had a vehicle that gave as much thought to the back seat passengers - heated seats, tilt back, USB plugins and loads of space.

10) Might have a shimmy at speeds over 115 kmph - there is a noticeable vibration at speeds over 115 kmph (or 70 mph) - its slight but it is there and its tied to that speed. I know there's an open thread somewhere on this and I will have to review to see if my issue is an issue.

Overall couldn't be happier. Fit and finish are spot on and the drive train is better than i expected. Keep in mind this is my 5th Grand Cherokee so my opinion is a little biased but this is without question the best yet (after 10 days anyway).

See less See more
#2 ·
Excited owner (10 days) of a 2014 Overland - (black/black, ACC, V6). First, love the machine - was a challenging wait as my rig was 12 weeks over due in arriving but I'm over that now.

Thought I would provide a few thoughts on my first 10 days of ownership. This has been sooooo helpful.

4) Love the headlights, I'm catching myself watching my reflection in store fronts, tail lights, etc... Hate the bulb in the fog lights - the head lights are snow white, bright and pop - the fog lights are dull, yellow and take away from the appearance of the rig with all the lights on.

I find the fog lights work. I dont care about the appearance of my GC with the lights on. I want lights that do their jobs and I dont care if they look purdy. A different bulb that matches the headlight just might not work in fog and snow. The yellow tint maybe an advantage in the fog.

#3 ·

I find the fog lights work. I dont care about the appearance of my GC with the lights on. I want lights that do their jobs and I dont care if they look purdy. A different bulb that matches the headlight just might not work in fog and snow. The yellow tint maybe an advantage in the fog.
I'm a shallow sort, I like the look or dislike, in the case, the white over yellow. As for fog, can say the colour is not the idea with fog lights, you want low placement with a low angle. Be happy to concede to any Newfie out there but we get our fair share here on the east coast of Nova Scotia. Fog is a frequent factor in the morning drive - fog lights help somewhat but not a whole lot. IMHO they are 70% show 30% effective.

#5 ·
Many many years ago Road and Track did a comparison test of the standard white halogen fog light and the standard French yellow one do see which one was better in obviously the fog. White fog light won. Now this back from the 70's or 80's if I remember correctly.

A fog light should have a very defined cut off vertically at about bumper height of a standard car and wide horizontal dispersion.

On my 2012 GC I find the fogs work great when visibility is down to less than 50 ft at 65 mph. They also do a good job with wet heavy snow. I was impressed that Jeep got it right. Many OEM fogs suck. BMW does it right.

#8 ·
Many many years ago Road and Track did a comparison test of the standard white halogen fog light and the standard French yellow one do see which one was better in obviously the fog. White fog light won. Now this back from the 70's or 80's if I remember correctly. A fog light should have a very defined cut off vertically at about bumper height of a standard car and wide horizontal dispersion. On my 2012 GC I find the fogs work great when visibility is down to less than 50 ft at 65 mph. They also do a good job with wet heavy snow. I was impressed that Jeep got it right. Many OEM fogs suck. BMW does it right.
It'd be interesting to see that article and their setup. Generally speaking a color temperature closer to 3000K will generate the most usable light with the least amount of reflectivity in fog and similar conditions.

#6 ·
My JGC is waiting on production so if I wanted to get ORAII I could but I really want the 20" wheels just don't want the shimmy I have been reading about in the 65 to 70 mph range. From what I read it is the Goodyear Fortura tires not balancing out or being out of round. This is the ONLY issue I have with my upcoming ride. It seems to be hit and miss too as some have it and some don't.

Appreciate all the inputs to your 10 days of ownership...

#7 ·
You pay about the same for either Goodyear and Michelin tires. Michelin has significantly better quality control than Goodyear. Its been this way as far back as I can remember. I would go with the ORAII package. 20" wheels along with the Forturas do not provide any real world performance advantages over the 18" wheels and Michelins. ORAII package provides more real world bennies than 20" wheels.

#11 ·
3. I couldn't agree with you more. The Chrysler sound systems suck. They are a royal pain to upgrade as well. I have not heard the HK system. I sure hope it's much better. They really need to take some lessons from Lincoln here.

5. I agree. I never liked shark fins. I never could understand people installing aftermarket ones. I prefer the looks of the stubby antennas on the '11-13s.

8. There's nothing more boring (or worse) than the OE 18" Latitudes. They were nearly the worse OE tire I've had. They look horrible, and perform horrible in anything but dry pavement. I've had OE Forteras as well, and I'd pick them any day over the Latitudes. The Forteras as least look good. The Latitudes have a rounded face and droopy shoulders, that only a minivan could love. I replaced mine with Cooper A/T3s, and I couldn't be happier.

#12 ·
Just ordered a set of Cooper snows (studded - can do that here) and some hideous black steels. Will be set for winter and may consider something for next spring to replace the Forteras.

I actually like shark fins but finding this one unusually high for some reason.

As for the sound system I'm not looking for much and that's kinda what I got. It does the job and I love the rest of the feature list.

#13 ·

3) Sound system is not what I had hoped for - just stock but have heard and owned better in less up scale vehicles.

I thought the same thing about the sound system...until I went in to the settings and adjusted the EQ and I hit the suround sound button....it made a big difference and I like it much more now:thumbsup:

I'm thinking the same thing...I have a set of aftermarket HID bulbs and balast Im going to try them in the fogs to see how well they work. :thumbsup:

Overall great observations!!!

#14 ·
I thought the same at first on the sound system. But I think the speaker cones may have broken in some and now it sounds pretty darn good. For reference, I have more invested in Home Audio Speakers than in my new Jeep.

I agree on 18" Wheels and the reason I got them ;)

I have two full sets of 18" Wheels (Summer/Winter), no shimmy on either set. This shimmy problem seems to occur less with 18" wheels.

#16 ·
Was checking out the 18s on a couple of rentals at the airport this morning. I like them better for sure. The shimmy is not too bad and only appears at 115 km/h +, I spend most of the time in the city or country roads (not much highway) so it shouldn't bother me too much.

#15 ·

I thought the same thing about the sound system...until I went in to the settings and adjusted the EQ and I hit the suround sound button....it made a big difference and I like it much more now:thumbsup:

I'm thinking the same thing...I have a set of aftermarket HID bulbs and balast Im going to try them in the fogs to see how well they work. :thumbsup:

Overall great observations!!!
Would very much appreciate a parts list and a few pics of the new HID fog lights. Its minor I know, but the soft yellow light just lessens the WOW of the front appearance. Wasn't planning much in mods for this machine, snows and rims, weather tech mats and the Jeep cargo liner was all I was thinking. New bright fogs are now on the list (of course I have or ordered the rest already).

#17 ·
I don't see how anybody could like the 18s more than the 20s. My 2011 has the 18s, but the 20s are obviously better looking. The 2014 18s are HIDEOUS IMHO. The 2014 20s are simple, elegant, machined for some pop. Diff'rent strokes I suppose. Have the dealer road force balance your tires, that will solve the shimmy and should be covered under warranty.

As for the fog lights, I have halogens in the Jeep all around so its not an issue for me, but upgrade to LED. Lexus changed the fog lights from halogen in my 2013 GS to LED in the 2014, the LED housings bolt right up so I swapped them out. They are AWESOME. Very bright, nice thin flat light pattern. Far more functional than the halogen ones and they match the HIDs.

Now, if you just put an LED hub in your halogen housing you won't have much light output, but the OEM fog lights aren't very functional anyways (most OEM fog lights are really just for aesthetics). From a look perspective its a big upgrade. Just make sure the LEDs you buy are no higher than 5,000k in color temp.

#29 ·
I don't see how anybody could like the 18s more than the 20s. My 2011 has the 18s, but the 20s are obviously better looking. The 2014 18s are HIDEOUS IMHO. The 2014 20s are simple, elegant, machined for some pop. Diff'rent strokes I suppose. Have the dealer road force balance your tires, that will solve the shimmy and should be covered under warranty
Agreed. I haven't noticed issues at 65-75mph on mine.

#18 ·
On my 2012 the fog lights actually do work in fog which is what they were designed for. They work as well as anything BMW has ever put on a vehicle and most Porsches.

I can't remember a lot of difference between WK2 fogs and big buck aftermarket rally fog lights I had on my old Rabbit.

They do the job they were designed for.

Wheels on my 2012 have not bent and stayed round which is what is most important to me. I prefer the look of my 2012 18" wheels over the 2014 wheels but the 2014 arent fugly enough I wouldnt buy the vehicle. Steel wheels with paint flaking off and little surface rust would be a great.

If the OP decides on 20" wheels and tires he selects will play a big part in if thinks the ride is stiffer. Some tires have very stiff sidewalls and others have more flex. 50 series tires and 20" wheels will not increase corning ability in real world situations. The electronic nannies will kick in first. Wet weather and mud and snow/slush performance will suffer though with a wider tire.

To each his/her own I prefer handling with the ORAI package and the 18" wheels over QL and either 18" or 20" wheels. I have found it more predictable and better for chasing apexes and preferred it off road.

#19 ·
I have the same fog lamps, I see no substantial difference with them on or off in the fog or other reduced visibility conditions, nor have I with any car I've owned with OEM fogs.

#20 ·
Sorry I forgot you are always correct . My bad. I was wrong my fog lights dont do a good job and havent saved my butt countless times over the last 35+ years when visibility is less than a 100 ft and I have to get down some farm road on the side of the mountain or down Rt7W to Summit Point so I can run a CCA drivers school.

Fog lights arent supposed to throw a lot of light down range. They should have a wide dispersion and a defined cut off at or just below the bumper level.

You might want to check your fogs and make sure the are adjusted correctly. Mine are on my 2012 and do a good job or they would have been switched out for something else.

#27 ·
The dead pedal is actually a very dense piece of foam UNDER the carpet. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.