Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Paint quality (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/paint-quality-68580.html)

pensfan414 11-29-2013 06:42 PM

Paint quality

Paint on my 14 GC seems to chip much easier than other vehicles I've owned. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Andoskyy 11-29-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pensfan414 (Post 937994)
Paint on my 14 GC seems to chip much easier than other vehicles I've owned. Anyone else have a similar experience?

How old were your previous vehicles? Paint gets more fragile every year. Blame the EPA.

Clear Bras these days should be a given.

RN SHRRK 11-29-2013 07:57 PM

Re: Paint quality

Ha! I feel like this paint is indestructible compared to my Nissan 370Z. When that front bumper chips, it's like pencil eraser size flakes! And I've driven both on the race track. GC holds up pretty well.

2014GC 12-01-2013 08:33 PM

I find the paint quality very close to my Mercedes. I have 15K miles on my GC now and still don't see even any road rash. I'm knocking on wood as I say this.

TheRosser 12-01-2013 09:04 PM

Mine seems to chip only on non metal surfaces. Irritates me every time I find a new chip during a wash. :(

SW03ES 12-04-2013 06:07 PM

I also find the paint on the Jeep very resistant to chipping compared to my Lexus. Got a cleabra on my latest one, but don't need it on the Jeep. 39k miles and I have some chips, but not many.

simplewon 12-04-2013 06:15 PM

Wife opens the back door into the vinyl siding that's white on the wall of our garage.
It chipped a tiny spot right down to black on our less than a week old srt.
The 2006 commander we traded has smacked the same wall numerious times, no chips.
The back edge of the rear door is painted plastic. I hope the front bumper has better paint.
I ordered two paint pens, one coded to the jeep and the other clear coat from amazon.
The old 98 5.9 has seriously tough paint and has never slept inside since I bought it in 99.
The old full size Jeeps I've had would take tree limbs down the side without damage, 79 mdl and a 80 mdl.
It is the new green earth safe stuff I expect but I am not a paint pro so only guessing.
My 04 z chipped on the front bumper bad. When I traded, I put the bra, yes, the ugly black bra on the 07 I have now.
Bet I wish I'd put one on the SRT but instead will have the bumper refinished when needed.

zeprider25 12-04-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplewon (Post 940429)
Wife opens the back door into the vinyl siding that's white on the wall of our garage.
It chipped a tiny spot right down to black on our less than a week old srt.
The 2006 commander we traded has smacked the same wall numerious times, no chips.
The back edge of the rear door is painted plastic. I hope the front bumper has better paint.
I ordered two paint pens, one coded to the jeep and the other clear coat from amazon.
The old 98 5.9 has seriously tough paint and has never slept inside since I bought it in 99.
The old full size Jeeps I've had would take tree limbs down the side without damage, 79 mdl and a 80 mdl.
It is the new green earth safe stuff I expect but I am not a paint pro so only guessing.
My 04 z chipped on the front bumper bad. When I traded, I put the bra, yes, the ugly black bra on the 07 I have now.
Bet I wish I'd put one on the SRT but instead will have the bumper refinished when needed.

i hit a tree with my 99 wrangler on the right side. paint held up perfectly fine. day 1 with my wife's new patriot 3 chips 1 window, 1 hood, 1 under left mirror. ugh

FryingPan 12-04-2013 08:22 PM

I took a muddy tree branch to the driver's side door without a mark. The paint on the Jeep is WAY more durable than on my old BMW for sure.