Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   V6 tranny fix for 2015 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/v6-tranny-fix-for-2015-a-68584.html)

joesjgc 11-29-2013 09:37 PM

V6 tranny fix for 2015

A friend told me the 2014 tranny issues were half soft ware and half problems with the jeep made tranny.

According to him Jeeps solution was to dump the 8 speed tranny and go to the 9 speed tranny to get rid of the hardware problems with the V6.

Is this accurate?

bill_de 11-29-2013 09:42 PM

Re: V6 tranny fix for 2015

The 9 Speed is in the smaller Cherokee, not the Grand Cherokee. The Chrysler built 8 Speed is designed by ZF and licensed to Chrysler. If there is a mechanical problem, ZF will figure it out. But software is more likely the culprit.

---

Peter_K 11-29-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesjgc (Post 938052)
A friend told me the 2014 tranny issues were half soft ware and half problems with the jeep made tranny. According to him Jeeps solution was to dump the 8 speed tranny and go to the 9 speed tranny to get rid of the hardware problems with the V6. Is this accurate?

The 9-speed is currently only packaged in a FWD arrangement with an optional AWD setup. Using it in the GC would require that it either be repackaged and redesigned, or the GC driveline strategy would need a major overhaul.

bytman 11-30-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

A friend told me the 2014 tranny issues were half soft ware and half problems with the jeep made tranny. According to him Jeeps solution was to dump the 8 speed tranny and go to the 9 speed tranny to get rid of the hardware problems with the V6. Is this accurate?

Lol no.

fnkychkn 11-30-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

A friend told me the 2014 tranny issues were half soft ware and half problems with the jeep made tranny.

According to him Jeeps solution was to dump the 8 speed tranny and go to the 9 speed tranny to get rid of the hardware problems with the V6.

Is this accurate?

please specify these "tranny issues".

DanPorges 02-02-2014 07:39 AM

I would agree that the issues are both software and hardware, but the hardware is not being scrapped for the 9-spd. On my 2014, when the software updates didnt fix the issue they replaced the "Contol Valve Body" which houses all of the valves that control the shifting from gear to gear and the transmission control module. They reprogrammed the entire system with the new software and reeducated the transmission and now it shift really well.

curtispwns 02-27-2014 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanPorges (Post 969298)
I would agree that the issues are both software and hardware, but the hardware is not being scrapped for the 9-spd. On my 2014, when the software updates didnt fix the issue they replaced the "Contol Valve Body" which houses all of the valves that control the shifting from gear to gear and the transmission control module. They reprogrammed the entire system with the new software and reeducated the transmission and now it shift really well.

Was this able to fix the 2-1 downshift bump you had? My jeep has all the most recent flash updates but when it downshifts from 2 to 1 it feels like someone bumped me from behind. Dealer is saying nothing they can do other than wait for another flash to come out.

f1anatic 02-27-2014 08:07 AM

What are these irreparable transmission issues that would require ditching the 8 speed for a 9-er? Somehow I was under the impression that the 9 speeder was more troublesome than the 8? Moreover, software updates have made great improvements. And as others have said, they are 2 different trannies for different types of cars with different weight and torque handling requirements.

mswlogo 02-27-2014 09:28 AM

And that 9 speed had quite few bumps at startup with as well. I believe it was part of the hold up for releasing the Cherokee.

SnoFire 02-27-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

This is false. Don't know where your buddy got that information from but he is wrong. If a dealer told him that, then that is a dealer that doesn't know what he is talking about. You will find information on here faster that most (if not all) dealerships will get it.

DanPorges 02-27-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtispwns (Post 983207)
Was this able to fix the 2-1 downshift bump you had? My jeep has all the most recent flash updates but when it downshifts from 2 to 1 it feels like someone bumped me from behind. Dealer is saying nothing they can do other than wait for another flash to come out.

yes it did....night and day difference! Very happy with performance since the valve body was swapped overall.

crodragon 03-24-2014 05:33 PM

Glad to hear this. Mine is getting the valve body replaced tomorrow. My problem seems pretty specific - the 5th gear seems to be an issue so when it shifts from 6th to 5th it jerks. Everybody else seems to be experiencing 2nd and 1st gear jerks coming to a stop.

I am just a bit nervous that they have to tinker with a brand new vehicle's transmission (I had it for 2 days and it has less than 150 mi) but if the valve body fixes it the way it did for you I'll be happy. That is - if it stays that way :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanPorges (Post 983368)
yes it did....night and day difference! Very happy with performance since the valve body was swapped overall.