Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2011+ Dodge Durango-WD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/)
-   -   Tire Chains (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/tire-chains-68615.html)

Seattle Santiago 11-30-2013 06:00 PM

Tire Chains

Anyone look into tire chains yet? I checked the manual and apparently I'm supposed to buy Thule XG-12s.:)

I'd like to not spend so much and get some peerless chains but I can't tell what clearance is required due to the obscure writing. Check it out:

TIRE CHAINS (TRACTION DEVICES)
Use of traction devices require sufficient tire-to-body
clearance. Follow these recommendations to guard
against damage.
Traction device must be of proper size for the tire, as
recommended by the traction device manufacturer.
Install on Rear Tires Only
Due to limited clearance, the THULE XG-12 PRO
traction device or equivalent is recommended on
P265/60R18 or 265/50R20 tires.

mfa81 11-30-2013 06:26 PM

I'd trust thule fit guide, they tend to be on the safer side!

that said, I can't see why any other "normal" set of chains wouldn't work!

I was looking into the thule k summit, but can't get myself convinced of spending $700 on chains!

Seattle Santiago 11-30-2013 07:21 PM

Re: Tire Chains

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfa81 (Post 938350)
I was looking into the thule k summit, but can't get myself convinced of spending $700 on chains!

Yeah those are a pretty penny, and I hope I resist as well and don't pay that much. However, like everything else in life I'm sure I'll end up with more than I need. Case in point... I starting looking at chains and kept going up in price to "just look" at the next model up. Before I knew it, I almost pulled the trigger on those summits you mentioned.

This is why I have strollers with too many cupholders, a 3D tv that I've never watched 3D on, blu-ray player with the apps I never use, portable air units with heating and dehumidifying that I've only ever used for cooling... I can go on for days! Someone stop me from over-purchasing!! :eek:

<Calming down> So my goal would be to figure out where the clearance thresholds are for the tires and get only what I need. I know that the Thules are 12mm on top and on side, but I'm not sure if Dodge is saying this is the maximum allowance. My guess is that they are saying these are acceptable; but acceptable and limits are two different beasts.

jtdemaris 12-05-2013 03:42 PM

I'm going to have to check this out. I purchased Les Schwab chains (because that's what kind I always get). I wouldn't want them slapping up my wheel wells when I have to use them for the first time...:eek:

Seattle Santiago 12-07-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtdemaris (Post 940889)
I'm going to have to check this out. I purchased Les Schwab chains (because that's what kind I always get). I wouldn't want them slapping up my wheel wells when I have to use them for the first time...:eek:

I bet yours are just fine. I'm that guy who has to be certain there isn't a remote possibility of screwing something up. ...and with the right amount of fear mongering, I freeze up like an ice cube tray. :D

davewg 12-07-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seattle Santiago (Post 941674)
I bet yours are just fine. I'm that guy who has to be certain there isn't a remote possibility of screwing something up. ...and with the right amount of fear mongering, I freeze up like an ice cube tray. :D

Paralysis by analysis...guilty of same. Already researching my next car, it its two years out. Yes, I'm nuts. Certifiable.