Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Need New Front Passenger Window (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/need-new-front-passenger-window-68679.html)

WATacoRider 12-01-2013 10:59 PM

Need New Front Passenger Window

Tomorrow will be 2 months of ownership. Went to work this morning and notice my passenger window is cracked! I got out and looked. I see 4 impact points, so to me, this ruled out accidently impact. Instead, I believe someone used something and tried to smash my window in with 4 attempts. Must have been something small and pointy. Screwdriver maybe?

Anyways, now I need a new window. How much does it run for our vehicles? Are they the same as the 11-13 models?

'14 Limited btw.

bill_de 12-01-2013 11:05 PM

Re: Need New Front Passenger Window

Do you have full glass coverage on your insurance?

---

visitador 12-01-2013 11:51 PM

Please check the 2014 diesel sub forum. One member seems to have a similar
Issue like yours.

WATacoRider 12-01-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 938859)
Do you have full glass coverage on your insurance?

---

I do have full coverage, but I don't see any glass coverage listed on my insurance.

I know they don't have windshield replacement, at least not free.

WATacoRider 12-02-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by visitador (Post 938882)
Please check the 2014 diesel sub forum. One member seems to have a similar
Issue like yours.

Just looked. I'm 99.99% confident my damage is from direct impact. Best pic I can do at the moment. It's dark and raining. I pointed out the impact points.

http://i.imgur.com/FKVyscT.jpg

visitador 12-02-2013 09:34 AM

Yes, that looks different than the hairline cracks shown on the pictures of the diesel owner. Best of luck with the insurance.

jacko15 12-02-2013 09:38 AM

It will be covered by your insurance, but without the full glass rider, you'll probably have to pay the comp deductible.

johngreen1234 12-02-2013 11:33 AM

Why would somebody ping their own insurance over a couple hundred bucks? Rest assured your higher premiums will more than offset any benefit (to say nothing of potential deductible).

To the OP: Yes that looks like a failed break in. If it was me, I would figured out how to make my car look more "watched". While it was probably somebody walking by on a one-time prowl, just in case somebody's scouting my car, I make a point of alternating my parking orientation, nose-in or back-in. A Motion-activated floodlight would help (that's on my list).

For pissant stuff like windows or windshield, I keep the insurance in the dark. Even if it's not your fault it still counts against you. With that in mind, I do a $1,000 deductible and pocket the cash saved for stuff just like this.

bill_de 12-02-2013 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=johngreen1234;939080]Why would somebody ping their own insurance over a couple hundred bucks? Rest assured your higher premiums will more than offset any benefit (to say nothing of potential deductible).
QUOTE]

I don't know what it is where you live, but typically comprehensive claims, which includes glass, have no effect on your policy. You should contact your state insurance department and ask them for a copy of the regulations pertaining to this.

Marlon_JB2 12-02-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 939081)
I don't know what it is where you live, but typically comprehensive claims, which includes glass, have no effect on your policy. You should contact your state insurance department and ask them for a copy of the regulations pertaining to this.

Yup. Now an at-fault collision claim is going to kill you. (Speeding tickets, DUIs, etc etc... heh, will also do the same...)

Comprehensive claims don't result in a rate hike.

AAAA 12-02-2013 12:45 PM

Stuff happens. Not fun. Get it repaired. Move on.

ChrisOC 12-02-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johngreen1234 (Post 939080)
Why would somebody ping their own insurance over a couple hundred bucks? Rest assured your higher premiums will more than offset any benefit (to say nothing of potential deductible). To the OP: Yes that looks like a failed break in. If it was me, I would figured out how to make my car look more "watched". While it was probably somebody walking by on a one-time prowl, just in case somebody's scouting my car, I make a point of alternating my parking orientation, nose-in or back-in. A Motion-activated floodlight would help (that's on my list). For pissant stuff like windows or windshield, I keep the insurance in the dark. Even if it's not your fault it still counts against you. With that in mind, I do a $1,000 deductible and pocket the cash saved for stuff just like this.

I agree with everything here. But, last month, I parked under a streetlight, grass between my Jeep and the sidewalk, a driveway in front of me, and I came back to a Jeep with a broken passenger side mirror. Well, the plastic is broken, $450 repair for the whole piece. Point being, any Asshole can come by an **** your shit up.

OP, be greatfull that they didn't get in. Some other member had a worse experience where the person damaged everything near the window trying to get in.