Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   eBay intake - good or bad (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/ebay-intake-good-or-bad-68720.html)

brubakes 12-03-2013 09:04 AM

eBay intake - good or bad

I found the intake below and the price is right but I have some concerns. With the filters just out there in the open doesn't that bring the possibility of sucking water or any moisture into the engine?

Dual Twin 2005 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5 7 5 7L 6 1 6 1L SRT8 Air Intake Kit | eBay

Prestone 12-03-2013 09:11 AM

Or just hot air. The oem intake is more of a cold air intake than these. I think I would pass on this.

Strongjeff 12-05-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestone (Post 939561)
Or just hot air. The oem intake is more of a cold air intake than these. I think I would pass on this.

Unless one can fab up an air box for it then you have a true cold air. To make it better you can even add a tube to the box so that you pull cold air from a source further from the engine. Im doing this on my 3.7' short ram intake to better take advantage of the air flow and pull colder air.

dmsfun 12-07-2013 08:30 AM

Re: eBay intake - good or bad

Aftermarket intakes are not just a waste of money, they just make a lot of undesirable noise and the 5.7 runs worse than stock. I've done back to back comparisons, and the stock one is easily the best, far better low end torque and tip in throttle response, at RPM's where 90 percent of street driving takes place. Also, in MDS mode, aftermarket intakes have a horrible drone, where I can't even tell when MDS is on with the stock intake.

Strongjeff 12-07-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 941752)
Aftermarket intakes are not just a waste of money, they just make a lot of undesirable noise and the 5.7 runs worse than stock. I've done back to back comparisons, and the stock one is easily the best, far better low end torque and tip in throttle response, at RPM's where 90 percent of street driving takes place. Also, in MDS mode, aftermarket intakes have a horrible drone, where I can't even tell when MDS is on with the stock intake.

do you have dyno proof of the loss of low end? maybe what your feeling is a high peak power and it is causing you to "feel" a loss of low end torque. stop telling people to not buy some thing cuz you don't like it. have you tried the air raid jr. intake...still uses the stock airbox, all it dose is replace the wrinkled black tube portion of the intake. you cant tell me that makes the 5.7 worse.

Strongjeff 12-07-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brubakes (Post 939556)
I found the intake below and the price is right but I have some concerns. With the filters just out there in the open doesn't that bring the possibility of sucking water or any moisture into the engine?

Dual Twin 2005 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5 7 5 7L 6 1 6 1L SRT8 Air Intake Kit | eBay

here is my advice on it. don't buy this one. if your going for performance you are better off getting an airraid or a Volant intake. one with a box. if you insist on this one and are worried about water...they make a water resistant pre filter that slips over the open filter. it will keep water out and prolong filter life.

Prestone 12-07-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 941815)
here is my advice on it. don't buy this one. if your going for performance you are better off getting an airraid or a Volant intake. one with a box. if you insist on this one and are worried about water...they make a water resistant pre filter that slips over the open filter. it will keep water out and prolong filter life.

+1. I have a Volant on my 5.7 wk2, along with a trinity tuner and love it. The jeep is night and day different then when I bought it. Felt more like a 6 cylinder when i bought it and now it feels like a strong v8.

Strongjeff 12-07-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestone (Post 941856)
+1. I have a Volant on my 5.7 wk2, along with a trinity tuner and love it. The jeep is night and day different then when I bought it. Felt more like a 6 cylinder when i bought it and now it feels like a strong v8.

hey now, I got one of the strongest 3.7's on this site lol, even will out run a hemi up top too :slapfight:

Prestone 12-07-2013 05:11 PM

I know. I have been following your mods. Not becuase I want to do it to my jeep, but just becuase I like the way u go about modding. Seems like u aren't not doing all the high dollar cookie cutter mods, but finding cheaper ways to get the same performance.

Strongjeff 12-07-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestone (Post 941957)
I know. I have been following your mods. Not becuase I want to do it to my jeep, but just becuase I like the way u go about modding. Seems like u aren't not doing all the high dollar cookie cutter mods, but finding cheaper ways to get the same performance.

im just trying to find new ways to get power with out the aftermarket. im also researching ignition coils too. trying to see if I can adapt accel coils for the mustang 4.6 3V to run on the 3.7. im just unsure of the length of the 4.6 coils. they look a little short. other then that, the connector looks the same

brentwoodkris 12-26-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 941752)

I personally think the OEM SRT8 tube intake is the way to go. Gets rid of that horrid stock plenum and cleans up the bay. Also gets the nice low amount of CAI noise that I like. When coupled with the additional air tube (replacing the box drain), a K&N drop-in, and the Challenger IAT, I regularly see temperatures that are 1-2 degrees above ambient when highway driving. As far as my butt-dyno goes, I think I have just as much low end power when compared with the OEM plenum. :thumbsup: