Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Importing to the great white north!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/importing-to-the-great-white-north-68735.html)

Sparrow 12-03-2013 01:59 PM

Importing to the great white north!!!

Hi,

Not sure if I have posted in the right place? I am a new member and have been following the Diesel thread for a while now. I am looking to import a Limited Diesel to Canada. Jeep does not sell that model here in Canada and the Diesels they do bring here are above what I am willing to pay. Has anybody gone thru the process??

Thanks

overlanding 12-03-2013 05:14 PM

Would Chrysler still honor their warranty if you import it?

Jim_in_PA 12-04-2013 11:15 AM

Re: Importing to the great white north!!!

overlanding is correct in pointing out that you may have a warranty issue with doing your own "import"...

Sparrow 12-04-2013 12:36 PM

You are correct, they would not honor the warranty but would do all recalls. I would still like to get my hands on a Limited Diesel!!!
Was wondering if members might know a dealer on the west coast willing to sell one to me??
I have rung both the head offices in both countries and they confirm I would not recieve the warranty, but as I said I am still keen to get my hands on a SFU!!!:)

Somewhereinla 12-04-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparrow (Post 940251)
You are correct, they would not honor the warranty but would do all recalls. I would still like to get my hands on a Limited Diesel!!!
Was wondering if members might know a dealer on the west coast willing to sell one to me??
I have rung both the head offices in both countries and they confirm I would not recieve the warranty, but as I said I am still keen to get my hands on a SFU!!!:)

I am sure any dealers in Seattle would love to sell you a car. Beside the warranty, you might have to pay extra taxes when you cross the border... You may want to call the custom office and ask them what the procedure is.

bootleg23 12-18-2013 09:15 AM

Well I can definitely chime in and give you ALL the answers.

First off no warranty...

Second I called from NY to Florida to Texas, Dealers themselves have some BS contract and obligation NOT to sell to Canadians, they can not sell you a new Chrysler product, they can however sell you a used one.

Now you may be thinking, "Hey I have a buddy who lives in Seattle, he can just buy it and give it to me"

well I looked into that, and there are issues, firstly is paying double the tax, on the initial purchase than at the border when you cross.

And no a Demo is not a used one, as they consider it new (don't ask me why)

I looked into all of this, the Limited is available in diesel to the yanks, not to Canadians, therefore the price diff is around 10-15 grand pending on options.

My final verdict?

buy a used one in about 6 months,

Simon

4jeepdiesel 12-18-2013 11:07 AM

Who will be able to service it if you get one? That's even a question to some here in the Un-United States with the new engine.

BossHoss 12-18-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparrow (Post 940251)

A new engine. A new transmission. New electronics in the dash and center stack. And you really want to take a chance with no warranty? That is a huge roll of the dice. I will agree with bootleg, be patient and pick up a used one in a few months. Bound to be someone somewhere who wants to change back to gas for whatever reason.

visitador 12-18-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bootleg23 (Post 947329)
Well I can definitely chime in and give you ALL the answers.

First off no warranty...

well I looked into that, and there are issues, firstly is paying double the tax, on the initial purchase than at the border when you cross.

My final verdict?

buy a used one in about 6 months,

Simon

Unless you have a friend in Oregon. Still, the warranty is the killer.