Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Swaping an 8.4A for an 8.4AN? Can it be done? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/swaping-an-8-4a-for-an-8-4an-can-it-be-done-68751.html)

Scoobysnax 12-03-2013 08:39 PM

Swaping an 8.4A for an 8.4AN? Can it be done?

I need to know if the Uconnect 8.4A radio can be swapped out for the Uconnect 8.4AN radio. I have a 2014 GC Limited with Lux II and Off Road Group II pkg and it was supposed to also include the 8.4AN Navigation unit but the dealer I special ordered it from (Giuffre Jeep in Bay Ridge Brooklyn) didnít order that option. So the Jeep came with the 8.4A that comes with the Lux II pkg. It took me a month and a half to figure this out because the dealer kept saying that they needed to update the software to get everything working and I had to find the time to bring it in. The manager of the place has basically admitted something ďwas not doneĒ when it was ordered and he said he would see if itís possible to swap it out. Thatís where Iím at right now.
My question is whatís involved? Iím worried the dealer is going to find out there is a LOT involved and try to just offer me free oil changes or something else that wonít fly with me. Is it a simple disconnect and swap? Do they have the same wiring or are all the connections different? If it can be swapped out will all of the features work as they should or would I be missing some features? Does the entire dashboard need to come out? Does the Voice recognition utilize a different rear view mirror or is that not part of it? I called Uconnect support today and they said they had no clue and could only help me with software issues. I want to know the answer before the dealer does. I don't want them trying to push their screw up onto me.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Scottina06 12-03-2013 08:47 PM

Re: Swaping an 8.4A for an 8.4AN? Can it be done?

from all indications.....it cant be done. Youll need to have them upgrade the Nav via the software upgrade

bill_de 12-03-2013 08:48 PM

No.

"Radio interchangeability:
None of the RA1, RA2, RA3, or RA4 radios are interchangeable with each other. If the vehicle came with an RA1 radio, dealers can NOT install an RA2, RA3 or RA4 radio. If the vehicle came with an RA4 radio, dealers can NOT install an RA1, RA2 or RA3 radio and so on."

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2014 model year radios

I remembered before the original order date, Milous warned us to be very careful when selecting a radio.

---

Scoobysnax 12-03-2013 09:21 PM

:eek:
WTF. This dealer is going to have to get me the Jeep I had ordered. Jeep Giuffre Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep Bay Ridge, NY screwed this up, they will need to live with it, not me.

:eek::eek::mad::mad:
I'm so pissed.

And honestly, why would Chrysler design their system that way? Wouldn't it cost them more money to have 4 different designs rather than just 4 different versions of software?

StaticFX 12-03-2013 09:39 PM

yeah, and just updating the NAV in the radio still doesnt make the 2 radios the same thing...

justice37 12-04-2013 11:38 AM

I had a similar issue.. My answer so far is NO.

The radio is not working before the activation process. I am not sure Chrysler will allow this for you. Radio ID must match with your VIN to work all functions.

Second, 8.4A and 8.4AN are different hardware. Even you upgrade a navigation on your 8.4A, you will have five limitations; HD radio, 3D building shape, XM Traffic, XM travel link and assist-GPS sensor. (8.4A has a only regular GPS sensor)

I ordered mine as 8.4AN, but received 8.4A. I was so pissed off. But the dealer provided me a nice discount. My opinions on those five limitations are;

1. XM traffic and XM travel link; these are subscription based service. I don't want to spend 10$ every month for these information.
2. 3D building shape rendering; I do not think this is critical for finding address. Just good to have, nice to see.. but not ciritical.
3. assist-GPS; If you are driving a tunnel or somewhere covered area so frequently. This would be very nice. This feature gives you more accurate location when regular GPS signal is blocked. But, regular GPS works well for me so far.
4. HD radio; well... depends on you.. For me it is not critical.

StaticFX 12-05-2013 10:47 AM

You also get 1 year free of the uconnect Assit (and I think SXM/Travel) whereas with the A you only get 6 months