Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   Thinking about an aftermarket security system - VIPER 5704V (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/thinking-about-an-aftermarket-security-system-viper-5704v-68769.html)

brentwoodkris 12-04-2013 11:02 AM

Thinking about an aftermarket security system - VIPER 5706P

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of having an aftermarket remote start/security/keyless entry system installed on my WK. My OEM remotes have gradually lost range (even after battery replacement) and now my range is about 30ft, which is ridiculous. I've always wanted an excuse to put in remote start, and now I have it.

I've done a bit of research and I keep coming back to the Viper 5704V (EDIT: Now superseded by the 5706P), which is a 2-way paging system which does the whole multiple frequencies thing and has an advertised range of 1 mile (I don't care if it won't hit this, I only want/need 250ft). It can be found for under $200 and I'll be getting it professionally installed (to preserve the DEI warranty on the brain). I also know that I'll need at least one type of bypass module.

So here's the question: I've seen some people post about bypass units recently, but am unsure of which one to purchase. I see XpressKit makes one, so does Omega, and many other companies. I want to use the full functionality of the system, including the alarm, keyless entry, and remote start. Which bypass module(s) do I need? Is this an installer preference thing? Do all of them not function the same?

Also, I've seen people post about installing one of these units and then the factory alarm going off every time they start the car or unlock the doors or something...doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the bypass module?

Thanks in advance.

zeprider25 12-04-2013 11:34 AM

I have this exact model in my wife's patriot. i bought a cheaper model for my grand cherokee and regret it everyday as some features only work whenever they feel like it. I have never had any problems with this and all the features work as advertised.

I believe we used the xpress dball. the install will run you $250-300 unless you do it yourself. I also bought the glass sensor, tilt sensor, and backup battery. All worth it. I have tested it a mile away and it will work most of the time depending on surroundings. I never had any issues with the alarm going off.

brentwoodkris 12-04-2013 11:43 AM

Re: Thinking about an aftermarket security system - VIPER 5704V

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeprider25 (Post 940216)
I believe we used the xpress dball. the install will run you $250-300 unless you do it yourself. I also bought the glass sensor, tilt sensor, and backup battery. All worth it. I have tested it a mile away and it will work most of the time depending on surroundings.

Yes the XpressKit DB-ALL is the one I was looking at and it can be had for about $50, but requires vehicle specific programming, which would require the USB connection kit for it which is another $30. I've talked to the guys at places around here and the install will probably be $200ish if I bring in the parts. I'm thinking of getting the those same sensors as well as a peizo siren for the cabin.

Essentially I only have 2 install options around me: Creative Car Audio, and Best Buy. I know BB would be cheaper, but man I've heard some horror stories even though they're DEI certified. However, because BB's are everywhere, I could essentially take it in anytime to be fixed/adjusted...I had my last viper installed on my '96 GC at Circuit City and they did a great job...

zeprider25 12-04-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 940225)

Yes the XpressKit DB-ALL is the one I was looking at and it can be had for about $50, but requires vehicle specific programming, which would require the USB connection kit for it which is another $30. I've talked to the guys at places around here and the install will probably be $200ish if I bring in the parts. I'm thinking of getting the those same sensors as well as a peizo siren for the cabin.

Essentially I only have 2 install options around me: Creative Car Audio, and Best Buy. I know BB would be cheaper, but man I've heard some horror stories even though they're DEI certified. However, because BB's are everywhere, I could essentially take it in anytime to be fixed/adjusted...I had my last viper installed on my '96 GC at Circuit City and they did a great job...

i originally had the appointment at best buy but when the installer called and he didn't even know what the dball was and tried to sell me a best buy bypass i said no thanks. the place i took it to did the vehicle programming.

brentwoodkris 12-04-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeprider25 (Post 940235)
i originally had the appointment at best buy but when the installer called and he didn't even know what the dball was and tried to sell me a best buy bypass i said no thanks. the place i took it to did the vehicle programming.

I'm planning on calling them or going there (it's right down the street from me) and getting them to write out a detailed quote including the needed parts. Then I'll just bring in the parts and do their $200 deal for the install (including lifetime satisfaction warranty). Surely they'll know about the DB-ALL by now...apparently that model is now discontinued and they offer the DB-ALL2...

brentwoodkris 12-04-2013 02:57 PM

Talked to a tech at BB over lunch. He quoted me $500 on the setup without install or additional hardware. I started laughing (It's $175 direct from Amazon). He then said the only thing I could price match was the FLCAN that he wants to use as a bypass module. I looked up the new 5706P on BB's site and it says that they have a lowest price guarantee and that Amazon.com is an accepted retailer. Needless to say, I'll be either buying the 5706P and FLCAN through them at Amazon's price or I'll be bringing in the stuff myself.

OF COURSE the installer trash talked Amazon and how you never knew what you'd be getting...I was like...IT'S AMAZON...NOT SOME THIRD PARTY RETAILER THROUGH THEM! Oh well, we'll see how it goes!