Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   That smell ... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/that-smell-68778.html)

nautiboy 12-04-2013 01:25 PM

That smell ...

... often referred to as the cat piss smell. Not quite how I'd describe it, but I don't have a better description and I think most people know it by that description so I'll stick with that.

Anyway, unlike most people i didn't notice it much in the first couple hundred miles. I did notice the burning smell that I think was a sticker or some manufacturing stuff burning off but that was gone before it rolled 100 miles.

But now, after about 500 miles I'm starting to get the cat piss smell occasionally, which seems the reverse of most people's observations where they'd get it the first 300 miles or so but it would go away after that.

It seems to happen most often when I've been moving at freeway speeds and then slow down to slow speeds and/or stop-and-go.

I vaguely recall someone (willx maybe?) saying that they think it's coolant related and not exhaust related and that there was an investigation underway. If that's correct, has there been any progress or update?

cherryredjeep 12-04-2013 03:37 PM

Re: That smell ...

nautiboy, i had that smell!! CK cabin air filter i found a dead mouse on top of mine.so did someone else on here.

overlanding 12-04-2013 05:26 PM

My '12 had that from the day I got it. I took it in, they smelt it (they "have to smell it") and ran some chemical product through the system. Can't remember what it what they ran it through it's been a couple years and vehicles lol

bill_de 12-04-2013 06:08 PM

I had a bad smell in a new '93 Explorer. The service manager set the a/c to recycle and sprayed some Lysol into the air intake. I kept that vehilcle almost 2 years and the smell never came back.

---

thebc2 12-04-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautiboy (Post 940271)
... often referred to as the cat piss smell. Not quite how I'd describe it, but I don't have a better description and I think most people know it by that description so I'll stick with that.

Anyway, unlike most people i didn't notice it much in the first couple hundred miles. I did notice the burning smell that I think was a sticker or some manufacturing stuff burning off but that was gone before it rolled 100 miles.

But now, after about 500 miles I'm starting to get the cat piss smell occasionally, which seems the reverse of most people's observations where they'd get it the first 300 miles or so but it would go away after that.

It seems to happen most often when I've been moving at freeway speeds and then slow down to slow speeds and/or stop-and-go.

I vaguely recall someone (willx maybe?) saying that they think it's coolant related and not exhaust related and that there was an investigation underway. If that's correct, has there been any progress or update?

It's funny you mention this.

I have never smelt anything that smelled like cat piss. I have gotten what smells like exhaust being piped right into the cabin, though. It got so bad my eyes were watering and it gave me a serious headache. I end up having to open the windows to air out the cabin. Every time it's happened I've been in bumper to bumper traffic, twice in bumper to bumper only, and one time after being on the freeway and then getting stuck in bumper to bumper.

It happened twice in the first few hundred miles, then it went away for a few weeks and I thought that was the end of it. Then today my wife and I got stuck in some bumper to bumper traffic and it happened again.

I have to bring in the Jeep on Saturday for the Nav screen replacement, going to bring it up to the service manager and see what he says.

overlanding 12-04-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebc2 (Post 940530)
have to bring in the Jeep on Saturday for the Nav screen replacement, going to bring it up to the service manager and see what he says.

"Hmm......... We couldn't duplicate it. Sorry bud." I wish you luck.

netboy 12-04-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebc2 (Post 940530)
I have gotten what smells like exhaust being piped right into the cabin, though. It got so bad my eyes were watering and it gave me a serious headache. I end up having to open the windows to air out the cabin.

Similar incident happened to me. I had to open the windows as I could barely breath in the cabin. In my case, I noticed the smell comes out of the HVAC vents, so I decided to "burn it away". I turned the heat to "Hi" and drove this way with recirculation for about 30 minutes. The smell diminished and finally was gone. 1000 miles later and still going strong.

thebc2 12-05-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netboy (Post 940558)
Similar incident happened to me. I had to open the windows as I could barely breath in the cabin. In my case, I noticed the smell comes out of the HVAC vents, so I decided to "burn it away". I turned the heat to "Hi" and drove this way with recirculation for about 30 minutes. The smell diminished and finally was gone. 1000 miles later and still going strong.

Hmm, I guess I don't understand how if it was in fact exhaust gasses, how turning up the heat would have an effect. Do you think it was something in the ventilation system that smelled like exhaust and not actually exhaust?

I hope that's the case. I thought for sure it was over with after the second time, took another 500 miles before it happened to me again after the first two incidents.

acilate 12-05-2013 12:31 AM

I still get the smell from time to time as well, but fairly faint. Same circumstances.

Marlon_JB2 12-05-2013 11:18 AM

Has anyone been able to find out exactly WHAT it is though?

It annoys the crap out of me too, don't feel bad guys.

nautiboy 12-06-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon_JB2 (Post 940752)
Has anyone been able to find out exactly WHAT it is though?

It annoys the crap out of me too, don't feel bad guys.

I found the message I was thinking of:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 934810)
For those of you smelling an odor when the engine is hot this is not the Urea which is odorless. There is something going on with the new coolant and a smell from contact with certain rubber hoses. There is no need to panic, other than the unusual smell there is no side effects to the system.

They are investigating the issue to see what needs to be done. Had some discussions with a few people about this as I know from experience that these engines do not smell after 300 miles.

Except that I'm now at 600 miles and I still occasionally get the smell ...

candyman 12-06-2013 09:29 AM

I always felt that it smells like exhaust. Does anyone know if diesel exhaust has enough Carbon Monoxide to be detected by a plug-in CO detector?