Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Replacing My Starter... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/replacing-my-starter-68820.html)

DAVY27 12-05-2013 02:05 PM

Replacing My Starter...

Having some hard start ups the past few days after it sits for a few minutes and i think my starter may be going bad. Doubt it's covered under the lifetime powertrain so just wondering where the best place to get a new replacement.

Any difference in the TYC brand or Mopar?

TYC comes out roughly under $80 shipped from Rockauto and for Mopar roughly $130 from online sites.

dr.lee.baugh 12-05-2013 05:42 PM

Re: Replacing My Starter...

I replaced mine with one from rock auto about 2 years ago (~50,000 miles) and it is still going strong. The OEM ones don't seem to be particularly long-lasting, so figured I couldn't go wrong after market.

*sox* 12-06-2013 12:30 AM

i have the same........damnn my Baby now are about one week in the Garage and want not start , just klick from the starter :(:(

DAVY27 12-06-2013 11:09 AM

^ have you checked your battery? I replaced mine 3 months ago so i ruled that out.

As for the starter...it's in a PITA location. I've read that alot of times corrosion on the connections can cause some of our issues. It's just so dam hard to even check the connections due to the location :angry:

Dr.lee.baugh-do you remember if your OEM starter was by mopar or Mitsubishi?

JeepFreak12 12-06-2013 11:21 AM

Damn, good luck with the starter swap bro. You should do a write up for the rest of us lol :thumbsup:

*sox* 12-06-2013 11:21 AM

yeah batteri are new, yes the location are very ****ing..... :(

....Tapatalk on tour:)

DAVY27 12-06-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepFreak12 (Post 941294)
Damn, good luck with the starter swap bro. You should do a write up for the rest of us lol :thumbsup:

Easy JF.....consists of 4 steps..

Buy part...Leave at shop...Pay shop...Drive home. LOLOL

I would give it a shot but not with the winter temps coming lol.

JeepFreak12 12-06-2013 11:54 AM

By far, easiest install ever!

dr.lee.baugh 12-06-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVY27 (Post 941289)
Dr.lee.baugh-do you remember if your OEM starter was by mopar or Mitsubishi?

Sorry, I didn't even look at it once it was finally removed. I think when originally looking into a replacement, I recall it being a Mitsubishi OEM...but could be completely wrong.

If you are looking for longevity, I know that Advance Auto Parts has a lifetime warranty on their starters (Remanned for about ~90 and new for about ~150). The big pain with this job, as everyone has noted is the actual install, but at least you would get a replacement part for free if it gives you trouble.

DAVY27 12-06-2013 01:32 PM

^ty sir! did you clean out the connectors? or even replacing the pigtail on the starter wire? I called a dealer just to see the labor for it and its $218. He did inform me of corrosion on the terminal and even replacing the pigtail...part that cost $40 :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepFreak12 (Post 941316)
By far, easiest install ever!

hell yea, no cuts or bruises to body except the wallet...lolol :(

JeepFreak12 12-06-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVY27 (Post 941373)
^ty sir! did you clean out the connectors? or even replacing the pigtail on the starter wire? I called a dealer just to see the labor for it and its $218. He did inform me of corrosion on the terminal and even replacing the pigtail...part that cost $40 :eek:

hell yea, no cuts or bruises to body except the wallet...lolol :(

HAHA thats better than alot of swearing and alot of beer tho!

dr.lee.baugh 12-06-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVY27 (Post 941373)

Mine actually weren't that bad. Wire brushing was all it took. Certainly didn't have to replace the wiring.