Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   Bolting Lights to Stock Front Bumper (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/bolting-lights-to-stock-front-bumper-68823.html)

vinpaa 12-05-2013 03:26 PM

Bolting Lights to Stock Front Bumper

I need some help. I am ready to add some 2 halogen driving/offroad lights (KC Hilite Slimlites) to my rig for night time driving on curvy dark roads. I have a lifted 2010 WK with a stock front bumper, no safari rack and no brush guard. I was wondering if anyone has fastened any lights directly to their bumper. I have seen guys do the behind the grill trick, but im not the biggest fan/ am not 100% sure how to approach it. I have done some research but cannot find anything anywhere. Could it really be simply drilling a bolt hole on the top of my bumper, right in front of my grill, and bolting the lights down? :confused:

Thanks all in advance!:thumbsup:

brentwoodkris 12-06-2013 11:23 AM

Re: Bolting Lights to Stock Front Bumper

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinpaa (Post 940882)
I need some help. I am ready to add some 2 halogen driving/offroad lights (KC Hilite Slimlites) to my rig for night time driving on curvy dark roads. I have a lifted 2010 WK with a stock front bumper, no safari rack and no brush guard. I was wondering if anyone has fastened any lights directly to their bumper. I have seen guys do the behind the grill trick, but im not the biggest fan/ am not 100% sure how to approach it. I have done some research but cannot find anything anywhere. Could it really be simply drilling a bolt hole on the top of my bumper, right in front of my grill, and bolting the lights down? :confused:

Thanks all in advance!:thumbsup:

Would these be in addition to your fogs? If not, I'd suggest adding the MOPAR fog light kit. My limited came with them, and coupled with the standard halogen main beams, my lights are so bright that many people flash their brights at me telling me to turn down my brights...so I flash my brights at them! Visibility is ridiculously good with the OEM light setup. And no I've not upgraded my bulbs to HIDs or anything of the sort.

I did just have my lights defogged at Sam's club, which was well worth the $30...unfortunately I'll have to do my fogs myself (they're getting cloudy).:thumbsup:

lstowell 12-06-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 941299)
Would these be in addition to your fogs? If not, I'd suggest adding the MOPAR fog light kit. My limited came with them, and coupled with the standard halogen main beams, my lights are so bright that many people flash their brights at me telling me to turn down my brights...so I flash my brights at them! Visibility is ridiculously good with the OEM light setup. And no I've not upgraded my bulbs to HIDs or anything of the sort.

I did just have my lights defogged at Sam's club, which was well worth the $30...unfortunately I'll have to do my fogs myself (they're getting cloudy).:thumbsup:

I'd agree. If you upgrade your stock lighting to SilverStar bulbs, they are BRIGHT.
If you have fog lights, you could mount the new ones on their mounts, but the factory wiring would then only allow the KCs on when low beams are on--which is easily overcome. Factory fogs with SilverStar bulbs are also quite bright, and you can aim
them out to the sides and up just a tad, where they really fill in the standard lights
very nicely.

To drill holes, you'd need to pull the grille to get to something hard enough. Not a huge issue, and not that painful. Finding a good place to tap lighting for an additional relay would be more of a pain.

vinpaa 12-09-2013 09:24 AM

Thanks for the responses. Im gonna try and upgrade my OEM fog bulbs and see if that sufficient.