Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Cold start advise? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/cold-start-advise-68851.html)

SlipperyPete 12-06-2013 10:26 AM

Cold start advise?

So it dipped below 0 last night and of course the truck was sitting outside and wouldn't start this morning. I sent a remote start from my phone and was looking forward to a warm seat and steering wheel but what I was greeted with was a dead Jeep. When I pushed the button to start it would turn over and actually fire for about 1/2 a second, just enough to hit 1k rpm and then die. All kinds of messages appeared about low battery, low oil pressure etc... At least I was at a place where I could plug it in, which I did for about 30 minutes and it kicked off fine.

So just wanted to know if anyone else has let their new ride sit outside in the cold without plugging it in and if you experienced any issues? My concern now is if it sits outside during work hours, and it's cold, is it going to start or will I have to wait till the spring thaw to drive it again.

We should be on the winter blend here in NE but wondering if maybe I should go the additive route as well? I have the engine block heater but that's not always going to be an option so hopefully there is a workaround or this is an isolated incident.

talltale 12-06-2013 11:05 AM

Re: Cold start advise?

3 degrees F yesterday and 7 today at my place. The Jeep started easily via remote start and warmed up faster than I anticipated. I live off-grid so I don't plug in until I see -20 F. I use winter blend diesel with an anti-gel, cetane increasing additive in my Duramax and Kubota and always keep the fuel tanks full. I've never had a starting problem.

crabman 12-06-2013 11:16 AM

Sounds to me like you have something going on, I would roll by the dealer and see if any codes were captured and have the battery/charging system checked. They use a draw down (load test) on the battery that can take somewhat more than a half hour depending on the machine so you would have to sit or arrange a loaner.

netboy 12-06-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talltale (Post 941286)
3 degrees F yesterday and 7 today at my place. The Jeep started easily via remote start and warmed up faster than I anticipated. I live off-grid so I don't plug in until I see -20 F. I use winter blend diesel with an anti-gel, cetane increasing additive in my Duramax and Kubota and always keep the fuel tanks full. I've never had a starting problem.

Would you mind sharing what additive are you using?

CNY_WK2 12-06-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netboy (Post 941307)

I started a thread for the stuff I bought...just added it so we will see soon what results I get....all the reviews touted how great it is. (XDP Winter)

skik2000 12-06-2013 02:19 PM

We have had similar temps here in CO and I haven't had any problems. My only issue so far is snow/ice building up in the wheel wells.

lstowell 12-06-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skik2000 (Post 941402)
We have had similar temps here in CO and I haven't had any problems. My only issue so far is snow/ice building up in the wheel wells.

With a good battery and secure wiring connections, the engine should spin very rapidly even at the nice 15 below we got gifted with in Colorado recently.

If the engine fires, it should start even if it doesn't spin that fast.... unless the oil is too thick, the fuel sucks, etc.

BTW, the mud flaps really help with snow/ice build up. My old GC used to build up
huge ridges of snow/ice all along the sides such that the buildup from the fronts would reach all the way to the rear, and be so huge it would literally drag on the ground.

With the flaps, I see a bit more build up in the well [and along the flap], but at least I don't end up with ice all along the side of the body including halfway up the doors.

Timo13 12-06-2013 04:50 PM

This is probably a really stupid idea, but if you were stuck at work could you plug the heater into the rear seat outlet with an extension cord? I can't imagine the battery would last very long, but I'd be willing to experiment if I had an old battery lying around. I don't get my jeep for weeks......

lstowell 12-06-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo13 (Post 941475)
This is probably a really stupid idea, but if you were stuck at work could you plug the heater into the rear seat outlet with an extension cord? I can't imagine the battery would last very long, but I'd be willing to experiment if I had an old battery lying around. I don't get my jeep for weeks......

I doubt if the rear seat outlet would have enough current to do much... heaters take a lot of energy. And, when the battery dies, good luck starting anything.

lstowell 12-06-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabman (Post 941291)
Sounds to me like you have something going on, I would roll by the dealer and see if any codes were captured and have the battery/charging system checked. They use a draw down (load test) on the battery that can take somewhat more than a half hour depending on the machine so you would have to sit or arrange a loaner.

You can do a test at home, but first make sure you have a means to charge the battery in case there is something wrong with it.

It works best with a small voltmeter, such as a RatShack, but you can probably use the
EVIC display as well.

Just set it to run, but without foot on brake so it doesn't start.
Record voltage.
Turn headlights on bright and leave them on for at least 10 minutes
check voltage.

If you get much voltage drop, either the battery is flaked out [skin charging] or something else wrong, where its exercise the warranty time.

Reginajeep 12-06-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlipperyPete (Post 941266)
So it dipped below 0 last night and of course the truck was sitting outside and wouldn't start this morning. I sent a remote start from my phone and was looking forward to a warm seat and steering wheel but what I was greeted with was a dead Jeep. When I pushed the button to start it would turn over and actually fire for about 1/2 a second, just enough to hit 1k rpm and then die. All kinds of messages appeared about low battery, low oil pressure etc... At least I was at a place where I could plug it in, which I did for about 30 minutes and it kicked off fine. So just wanted to know if anyone else has let their new ride sit outside in the cold without plugging it in and if you experienced any issues? My concern now is if it sits outside during work hours, and it's cold, is it going to start or will I have to wait till the spring thaw to drive it again. We should be on the winter blend here in NE but wondering if maybe I should go the additive route as well? I have the engine block heater but that's not always going to be an option so hopefully there is a workaround or this is an isolated incident.

We had -25f in my garage last night and it started fine remotely after I opened the door, might be a bad battery

talltale 12-06-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netboy (Post 941307)

I've been using Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost Arctic Formula for the past 11 years for cold wx ops.