Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Radio Sounding Better (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/radio-sounding-better-68855.html)

bill_de 12-06-2013 11:14 AM

Radio Sounding Better

I've never been real happy with the sound of the bass on FM. It was always pretty muddy. In conjunction with the rumbling the MDS adds to the experience, it was sub par.

Well, once I confirmed the MDS was causing the rumbling noise I now run ECO off or Sport mode. But the radio still didn't sound great. I realized the other day while listening to some classical music from the SD card the sound was (by my low standards) terrific.

So, I went back to the radio and stared at the screen. I turned off the HD which has been on since day one and the sound got much better. The bass is more distinct and the mids and highs are still very good. I thought HD was supposed to sound better, but not in this instance.

So for me, the best way to enjoy my Jeep is to start turning features off. I'm ok with that. ;)

---

GCLimited 12-06-2013 01:56 PM

Re: Radio Sounding Better

Yet another example of the "HD Conspiracy" I tell you.

;)

As in Television, why put money towards improving free HD signal for T.V. and radio when there's plenty of people willing to PAY for the same services.

:D

redrockv8 12-07-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 941290)
I've never been real happy with the sound of the bass on FM. It was always pretty muddy. In conjunction with the rumbling the MDS adds to the experience, it was sub par.
Well, once I confirmed the MDS was causing the rumbling noise I now run ECO off or Sport mode. But the radio still didn't sound great. I realized the other day while listening to some classical music from the SD card the sound was (by my low standards) terrific.
So, I went back to the radio and stared at the screen. I turned off the HD which has been on since day one and the sound got much better. The bass is more distinct and the mids and highs are still very good. I thought HD was supposed to sound better, but not in this instance.
So for me, the best way to enjoy my Jeep is to start turning features off. I'm ok with that. ;)
---

So what's HD? I hate abbreviations. I miss the days when people took the time to spell things out.

bill_de 12-07-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrockv8 (Post 941988)
So what's HD? I hate abbreviations. I miss the days when people took the time to spell things out.

I spelled it out just the way Jeep does. The button on the screen says HD, the description of the radio says HD. Radio stations claim they broadcast in HD. Sorry that doesn't meet your standards. ;)

This is the radio I'm have.

Model RA4 - Uconnect™ 8.4AN (with navigation)

• High resolution 8.4" Touch-Screen
  • 16GB flash memory
  • AM/FM/HD radio (NOTE: there are no Canadian radio stations that broadcast in HD)
  • Full Feature Harman Kardon premium navigation with one-step voice destination entry, three dimensional city models and landmarks and digital terrain modeling
  • Sensor-assisted GPS (helps ensure accurate positioning for your vehicle - even as you travel through tunnels, indoor parking garages and other areas where GPS signals can become obstructed)
  • Hands-free/Bluetooth®
  • Touch-screen Climate Controls
  • Embedded Connectivity (US Market Only)
  • HD Radio (tune in to HD radio for digital sound quality and more AM/FM programming choices)
  • Uconnect™ Access (requires activation & subscription)
  • 3G Wi-Fi / Hot Spot (subscription required)
  • SMS Response (subscription required) (Short message (or messaging) service, a system that enables cellular phone users to send and receive text messages)
  • Aux/USB/SD Media Hub with iPod® mobile device integration
  • Speed Adjusted Volume
  • Adjustable radio screen settings that complement vehicle personality (brand-specific themes and color combinations)
  • Integrated Uconnect voice command w/ Bluetooth®, hands-free calling and voice texting, streaming audio
  • SiriusXM™ Satellite Radio (includes 1-year subscription)
  • SiriusXM™ Traffic (includes 1-year subscription)
  • SiriusXM™ Travel Link (includes 1-year subscription) (Note: Available for the U.S. market only)
  • Available Remote CD player (in center console)
Availability: Standard on Overland, Summit and SRT; Optional on Limited.

redrockv8 12-07-2013 07:43 PM

Well that's what I get for having high standards a smartass answer. So in other words you don't know what HD means either. I'll guess high definition but what do I know

Jim_in_PA 12-07-2013 08:38 PM

Yes, it refers to High Definition.

netboy 12-07-2013 09:15 PM

HD Radio is a proprietary technology of superimposing digital audio over the standard AM and FM transmissions. It is much more common in FM as the channels have wider bandwidth and allow a possible CD quality digital audio broadcast. The station can choose the quality it has in digital mode between 100/25/12/5 kbps (which might explain why some stations sound worse in HD than in analog FM). Typical music bound stations will broadcast HD in CD quality (100 kbps) and will sound much better than the fallback analog FM. They definitely do on my Summit and did in every car I had HD capable head unit. Another advantage of HD Radio is that the sub-channels carry track information and it is displayed on the radio display.

jeepinAl 12-07-2013 10:54 PM

What the $%&# is MDS and how can I get the dealer to get rid of it?:)

Sure am glad I got the ( more abbreviations) V6 with VVT.

Al

p.s. On a serious note, can you really hear the cylinder deactivation? The actual deactivation or does it interfere with the radio?

bill_de 12-07-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinAl (Post 942100)
What the $%&# is MDS and how can I get the dealer to get rid of it?:)

Sure am glad I got the ( more abbreviations) V6 with VVT.

Al

p.s. On a serious note, can you really hear the cylinder deactivation? The actual deactivation or does it interfere with the radio?

The rumbling sound I mentioned in another thread was confirmed by the dealer as the MDS kicking in. The noise isn't the MDS system. It is the engine being over taxed (aren't we all) by trying to push 5,000 lbs on 4 cylinders.

---

sterno 12-07-2013 11:46 PM

A while back I had a loaner car with HD radio and saw the same thing - most of the digital stations I tried sounded worse than the regular FM stations. My home theater receiver can do HD radio and I keep meaning to move the antenna around so I can see if it shows the same behavior, but I don't really listen to the radio much at home so I haven't bothered.

The song that's playing can be sent through regular FM using RDS. Lots of stations in my area broadcast RDS, but not many radios can display it.

bill_de 12-08-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrockv8 (Post 942021)
Well that's what I get for having high standards a smartass answer. So in other words you don't know what HD means either. I'll guess high definition but what do I know

From Crutchfield;

"A: Originally, the initials stood for "hybrid-digital," because the digital signals were carried with the analog wave. According to iBiquity Digital Corporation, that's been changed, and the letters "HD" now don't stand for anything. Some articles and news stories have erroneously assumed that "HD" stands for "high definition," which has contributed to the confusion between HD Radio technology and high-definition TV."

Like I pointed out ... HD means HD

HD Radio™ FAQ

---

Paradiso 12-08-2013 08:25 AM

As I understand the 8.4an with the HD option has HD tuner built in it.
It does sound better on those broadcasting HD IMO.