Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Quadra Lift, front end lowers when parked (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/quadra-lift-front-end-lowers-when-parked-68864.html)

MGaulke 12-06-2013 02:54 PM

Quadra Lift, front end lowers when parked
 
Anyone experience this or have any suggestions? I have a 2011 GC WK2. After sitting overnight (normal ride height), I notice the front end is lower in the morning- at least an inch if not more. When I start it up, the front end returns to the normal ride height position. Happens pretty regularly. I tried leaving it in off road position-1 overnight and it didn't lower. Took it to the dealer and they are stumped.

2012 Summit 12-06-2013 04:47 PM

Re: Quadra Lift, front end lowers when parked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MGaulke (Post 941423)
Anyone experience this or have any suggestions? I have a 2011 GC WK2. After sitting overnight (normal ride height), I notice the front end is lower in the morning- at least an inch if not more. When I start it up, the front end returns to the normal ride height position. Happens pretty regularly. I tried leaving it in off road position-1 overnight and it didn't lower. Took it to the dealer and they are stumped.

Stupid dealers.

From the O.M.:

After the engine is turned off, it may be noticed that the
air suspension system operates briefly, this is normal. The
system is correcting the position of the vehicle to ensure
a proper appearance.

You can download the owners manual if you don't have one.

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/

Medpilot 12-07-2013 08:48 AM

Re: Quadra Lift, front end lowers when parked
 
OP is saying only the front end lowers an inch. Doesn't sound normal to me. My Jeep will lower itself into park mode after I get out, but it's brief, and it's equal front and back. Exactly how it's supposed to work.

Maybe try and document the amount of travel with a tape measure to see if it gets worse. You may also want to try another dealer.

fnkychkn 12-07-2013 09:39 AM

Re: Quadra Lift, front end lowers when parked
 
proper air suspension system diagnosis is rather involved and requires the use of special tools along with a scan tool capable of actuating and monitoring system components.
since parts aren't cheap, just guessing can get quite expensive. AFAIK, dealer is best equipped to diagnose. however, due to the relative infrequency of failure, finding an experienced tech could be difficult. good luck.

yankees9 12-07-2013 09:56 AM

Re: Quadra Lift, front end lowers when parked
 
Is it possible that you are parking on an incline, even a slight incline? I park on one with the front of the car higher than the back, and sometimes notice the front end lower to help level out the vehicle.

bill_de 12-07-2013 10:04 AM

Re: Quadra Lift, front end lowers when parked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yankees9 (Post 941784)
Is it possible that you are parking on an incline, even a slight incline? I park on one with the front of the car higher than the back, and sometimes notice the front end lower to help level out the vehicle.

That's a good point. I back my car out of my garage almost every day as it doubles as a wood working shop. The driveway is on a slope and the Jeep adjusts. When I bring it back in it adjusts accordingly.


---

Peter_K 12-07-2013 10:09 AM

Re: Quadra Lift, front end lowers when parked
 
The suspension will normally adjust after the vehicle has been turned off. You COULD have a small leak, but it's likely just this adjustment. If you feel like it, turn the vehicle off after driving, get out, and watch it for a while (it can be up a variable amount of time after engine shut-off, so you need some free time on your hands :) ) and you'll see/hear the adjustment happen.

What most of you aren't factoring in is your weight. If you were driving the vehicle with yourself and perhaps a passenger in the front seat, you've put more weight towards the front and the system has compensated for that while in use. When you get out after parking, the front will actually be anywhere from 0.25 to 1" too high as the front air spring pressure has been compensated for your weight. The system will then re-adjust while parked. This is what is meant in the owner's manual about it adjusting for "proper appearance."

It isn't going to just adjust the front -- but if you tend to drive alone or with only a front-seat passenger the most commonly noticeable adjustment will be to the front. The rear may also adjust slightly but it won't be as noticeable. If you heavily load down the rear, then remove that rear weight after parking, you'll be able to notice a more pronounced rear adjustment as well.

Peter_K 12-07-2013 10:15 AM

Re: Quadra Lift, front end lowers when parked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yankees9 (Post 941784)
Is it possible that you are parking on an incline, even a slight incline? I park on one with the front of the car higher than the back, and sometimes notice the front end lower to help level out the vehicle.

Incline isn't going to affect is as much as you think. It's not adjusting the vehicle to level out in that way--it's adjusting to an average of the four height sensors. In other words, leveling against the surface you're on, not against a theoretical "level" surface. The only affect an incline would have would be from weight shift due to the incline and that incline would have to be a somewhat significant incline to see that much difference.

bill_de 12-07-2013 10:18 AM

Re: Quadra Lift, front end lowers when parked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_K (Post 941794)
Incline isn't going to affect is as much as you think. It's not adjusting the vehicle to level out in that way--it's adjusting to an average of the four height sensors. In other words, leveling against the surface you're on, not against a theoretical "level" surface. The only affect an incline would have would be from weight shift due to the incline and that incline would have to be somewhat significant incline to see that much difference.

So if I lose some weight my Jeep won't have to adjust itself so much?

Now there's an incentive! :)


---

2012 Summit 12-07-2013 04:53 PM

Re: Quadra Lift, front end lowers when parked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medpilot (Post 941756)
OP is saying only the front end lowers an inch. Doesn't sound normal to me. My Jeep will lower itself into park mode after I get out, but it's brief, and it's equal front and back. Exactly how it's supposed to work.

Maybe try and document the amount of travel with a tape measure to see if it gets worse. You may also want to try another dealer.

Nah, usually quite normal for front only to lower especially if driven with no rear passengers.

I don't think OP is referring to "park mode" whereas both front & rear will lower.

Pretty sure the 2011 & 2012 WK2 doesn't have an option to automatically lower into park mode after exiting the vehicle. Not sure about the 2013 & 2014's.

MGaulke 12-08-2013 07:47 PM

Re: Quadra Lift, front end lowers when parked
 
Appreciate all the advice. Based on what I've heard hear it may very well be normal. Didn't realize the system was so particular about it's position. When it sits overnight it's in my carport which is level. Doesn't seem to adjust right away, but I guess I've never really paid close enough attention. I think I should probably track it for a week and keep a log or something- just to be sure. Dealer said there was no air leak, but I don't know how they determined that other than checking for error codes- they didn't find any.

Peter_K 12-08-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGaulke (Post 942416)
Appreciate all the advice. Based on what I've heard hear it may very well be normal. Didn't realize the system was so particular about it's position. When it sits overnight it's in my carport which is level. Doesn't seem to adjust right away, but I guess I've never really paid close enough attention. I think I should probably track it for a week and keep a log or something- just to be sure. Dealer said there was no air leak, but I don't know how they determined that other than checking for error codes- they didn't find any.

The carport may be level, but the Vehicle may not be after you get out. While driving it had automatically adjusted for the increased weight in the front from you.

It does adjust later -- not right away. It's a bit intelligent as you may use the vehicle again, and it accommodates temperature variations that way.

Any significant leak will set a code fairly quickly. The system routinely does an air mass calculation (that also takes into account temperature). If the calculation comes out below a certain threshold (indicating a leak) you will get a service air suspension message.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community