Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Icy day in North Texas (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/icy-day-in-north-texas-68880.html)

Gene20354 12-06-2013 09:41 PM

Icy day in North Texas

1 Attachment(s)
Had about 3 inches of ice today. Even with the Forteras, I was impressed with the performance. Check out the icicles on the rear view cam.

TheRosser 12-06-2013 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been VERY impressed with the GY silent armor tires in snow and ice! I don't know if the snow mode has anything to do with the confidence I have driving the jeep, but I have no fear of driving in snow any more.

Ps. I was scared because I'm from south Florida and the military decided to put me in the exact opposite climate. Also, see the pic below..

JGCCAYENNE 12-06-2013 10:23 PM

Re: Icy day in North Texas

I live in Dallas, and I made the trip to work, and back home, with no drama. The much maligned Michelin Latitude tires performed flawlessly in the sleet/ice/slush.

HaydenHunter 12-07-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRosser (Post 941612)
I was scared because I'm from south Florida and the military decided to put me in the exact opposite climate. Also, see the pic below..

I feel your pain. Welcome to the high line of Montana. I travel to Great Falls and Shelby regularly to see customers. I will travel there next week.

Today I made a 683 mile drive from Salt Lake to my home in North Idaho over quite a bit of packed snow and ice and occasional black ice. I did it in my pickup truck...would have liked to have the wife's 2014 JGC we bought last month. Haven't had it in a lot of bad weather / roads yet. But the 1997 JGC it replaced was a sure-footed snow beast.

AAAA 12-07-2013 01:13 PM

3 inches of ice! That is unheard of around here.

Bolimitzr1 12-07-2013 11:17 PM

Same storm heading this way into the Northeast. Will be my first winter without my Ram, anxious to take out the JGC and toy around in the wet stuff and see how she behaves in the slick stuff. I have a feeling Im gonna miss my Ram though even on 305/20's she was built for the snow.

webspoke 12-08-2013 01:52 AM

On the 2nd day today We have a lot of sheet ice, very tricky even in the wk2. It was much easier yesterday when it was sleet/slush. I took my z50 mini bike out for a spin to check out the neighborhood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdfA...ature=youtu.be

JGCCAYENNE 12-08-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 941854)
3 inches of ice! That is unheard of around here.

Pure ice, not snow, that gets packed in after people drive on it. Think ice rink, and you get the idea.

amr40509 12-08-2013 03:00 PM

We have ice here in Kentucky too this weekend. The technology on the Jeep is making it do fine, but I've been driving my '06 Pathfinder some too. It's amazing how much the Jeep's Mich Lattitudes suck compared to the Mich AT2 tires I have on my old Nissan.

Dave in Pa 12-08-2013 06:32 PM

I agree with AMR! Half inch today in S.E. Pa. @ 23 degrees and the Mich. Lattitudes will just not "bite"! Lots of wheels spinning but from a dead stop on a hill not great! I also had Mich.Ms2's on my o8 Trailblazer and they were way better. May have to go the dedicated sno-tire route soon; I will give it one more chance I guess, hate to spend the money! Dave

AAAA 12-09-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGCCAYENNE (Post 942315)
Pure ice, not snow, that gets packed in after people drive on it. Think ice rink, and you get the idea.

Oh, I see. 3 inches on the roads which is not what I was thinking.
BTW, webspoke, nice video from your "walled" city. Best part is wife meeting you in garage with pizza. What a life you have! :thumbsup:

Aiyer 12-09-2013 11:55 AM

webspoke,

Your streets are deserted! :) I lived in Dallas for 3.5 yrs.. and it snowed there twice during that time. I like it that the whole city shuts down. No work!! woot! Here, it is a different story.. :(

cheers,
-A