Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered WK Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f184/)
-   -   Oil question. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f184/oil-question-68908.html)

Wilkie 12-07-2013 02:47 PM

Oil question.
 
Hi I have a 2006 grand Cherokee diesel,in my manual it recommends 10w 40 fully synthetic on the web site wk mainteanance schedules they say 5w30 fully synthetic which one should I use. I find on all web sites selling oil that when I put in my reg they also say 5w30 fully synthetic.regards Martin

jeeper_57 12-15-2013 11:57 AM

Re: Oil question.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilkie (Post 941886)
Hi I have a 2006 grand Cherokee diesel,in my manual it recommends 10w 40 fully synthetic on the web site wk mainteanance schedules they say 5w30 fully synthetic which one should I use. I find on all web sites selling oil that when I put in my reg they also say 5w30 fully synthetic.regards Martin

5W40 or 5w30 for the wk ,
the 10w40 semi synthetic is not recommended for this truck but for former WJ

Wilkie 12-15-2013 06:18 PM

Re: Oil question.
 
Hi Thank goodness I bought the 5w30 fully synthetic.regards Martin.

jeeper_57 12-16-2013 01:40 PM

Re: Oil question.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilkie (Post 945912)
Hi Thank goodness I bought the 5w30 fully synthetic.regards Martin.

just take care that it fulfills the MB 229.51 norm :)

Wilkie 12-16-2013 02:56 PM

Re: Oil question.
 
Hi yes it is the oil is Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W30 Engine Oil MERCEDES-BENZ :MB 229.31, MB 229.51.regards Martin.

ggrassmid 04-12-2014 01:12 AM

Re: Oil question.
 
I ordered Amsoil European formula for diesel and turbo cars. It is 5W30 Low SAPS and meets the MB229.51 specs with DPF installed. I plan on changing my filter every 7500 miles and oil every 15,000. I will have my first 15,000 checked by BlackStone Labs, free test kit and oil analysis costs $25. I'll see if they would then recommend more frequent oil changes or not. I also plan on getting a GDE EcoTune and removing the DPF which should also allow me to use the standard diesel amsoil and not be required to have low saps.

52233 07-10-2014 07:53 AM

Re: Oil question.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ggrassmid (Post 1006837)
I ordered Amsoil European formula for diesel and turbo cars. It is 5W30 Low SAPS and meets the MB229.51 specs with DPF installed. I plan on changing my filter every 7500 miles and oil every 15,000. I will have my first 15,000 checked by BlackStone Labs, free test kit and oil analysis costs $25. I'll see if they would then recommend more frequent oil changes or not. I also plan on getting a GDE EcoTune and removing the DPF which should also allow me to use the standard diesel amsoil and not be required to have low saps.


I use the same oil even with my tune, makes me sleep better! I change my oil every 12,000 km. love to know the lab results!

wingit 07-10-2014 08:48 AM

Re: Oil question.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilkie (Post 941886)
Hi I have a 2006 grand Cherokee diesel,in my manual it recommends 10w 40 fully synthetic on the web site wk mainteanance schedules they say 5w30 fully synthetic which one should I use. I find on all web sites selling oil that when I put in my reg they also say 5w30 fully synthetic.regards Martin

Personally I would ask a tech at the service dept. My opinion would be to go with what the manual says. That is assuming your looking at the correct manual for the correct engine. I assume you just bought this used and have seen where manuals get switched by accident. If you use a lighter weight oil in an engine designed for a heavier weight than you increase the risk of engine wear.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community