Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   fire extinguisher placement (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/fire-extinguisher-placement-68909.html)

Chunderboy 12-07-2013 03:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just in case anyone was wondering, I picked up a twin pack of first Alert 2.5 lb fire extinguishers and found the perfect spot for them.. Underneath the back seat is a space perfect for mounting them. I used industrial strength velcro and it's perfect fitment with easy access. Also, as a side note, I used the space under the drivers seat for the first aid kit and thermal blankets. And lastly, the spare tire compartment had the rest of the goodies such as: jumper cables, flares, snow brush, flashlight shovel, umbrella and spare towels.

See pics.

Chunderboy 12-07-2013 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more pic

Northland 12-07-2013 05:18 PM

Re: fire extinguisher placement

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 941893)
I used industrial strength velcro and it's perfect fitment with easy access.

I want to mount my fire extinguisher in the same place. Can't tell from the pictures how you used the Velcro - where did you attach the Velcro to? Just the carpet? Do you feel that mounting method is secure enough to keep the extinguisher from becoming a missile inside the passenger compartment in the event of a crash at high speed?

Chunderboy 12-07-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northland (Post 941962)

I want to mount my fire extinguisher in the same place. Can't tell from the pictures how you used the Velcro - where did you attach the Velcro to? Just the carpet? Do you feel that mounting method is secure enough to keep the extinguisher from becoming a missile inside the passenger compartment in the event of a crash at high speed?

The picture that I posted was before I mounted it. After I mounted it I made sure that there was at least 2 to 3 inches between the legs of the rear seat and the beginning and end of the fire extinguisher . That way, if heaven forbid there is an accident, the fire extinguisher cannot pass through the bottom of the back seat because it is being blocked by the legs of the backseat

Northland 12-07-2013 05:29 PM

So...how did you mount it with Velcro? Direct to the carpet?

Chunderboy 12-07-2013 05:31 PM

Yup, direct to the carpet. I lay down two strips of Velcro on the fire extinguisher and two strips of Velcro on the carpet

Chunderboy 12-07-2013 05:34 PM

After I was done mounting it, I gave it a few good tugs and was definitely in there nice and secure.

Setoutguy 12-07-2013 06:11 PM

Velcro??? Check out this website Fire Suppression | Car

Sorry in shunt velcro is not going to hold.

Chunderboy 12-07-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setoutguy (Post 941982)
Velcro??? Check out this website Fire Suppression | Car

Sorry in shunt velcro is not going to hold.

Interesting. Maybe if there is a way to remove the bottom of the back seat I would be able to fasten it down better with the mount to that came with them. Certainly open to any and all suggestions (including the link)..

Never to old to learn new stuff.

Setoutguy 12-07-2013 06:52 PM

Check the link I provided for extinguishers and links. You want a secure mount and the extinguisher securely mounted in the mount. Places like Racers Wholesale sell similar products.

From Motorsports Medicine if your vehicle is doing 75mph and comes to a very sudden stop in 6ft the collision G forces generated are 31G. 50mph and you come to a stop in 8ft generates 23g. This all worse case. Velcro or some other jury rigged set up just aint going to work.

Chunderboy 12-07-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setoutguy (Post 941998)
Check the link I provided for extinguishers and links. You want a secure mount and the extinguisher securely mounted in the mount. Places like Racers Wholesale sell similar products.

From Motorsports Medicine if your vehicle is doing 75mph and comes to a very sudden stop in 6ft the collision G forces generated are 31G. 50mph and you come to a stop in 8ft generates 23g. This all worse case. Velcro or some other jury rigged set up just aint going to work.

Will do and thanks for the good info. So, knowing where it is currently mounted, any ideas?

Thanks again for the help. Never saw those stats and obviously safety is number 1

Bart Man 12-08-2013 09:33 PM

Just a few more storage ideas :cool:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/rear-...dea-51192.html