Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   Kicker upgrade amp paired with aftermarket speakers? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/kicker-upgrade-amp-paired-with-aftermarket-speakers-68986.html)

jpeezy 12-09-2013 05:11 PM

Kicker upgrade amp paired with aftermarket speakers?

Hi guys, I was searching on here and couldn't find the answer I was looking for, so thought I would ask.

I want to upgrade my audio and I will most likely get the Kicker upgrade amp(77kick18ab). I was wondering if it is better that I stick with the Kicker package on all the speakers, or if I go with some 2 ohm aftermarket speakers instead? I was eyeballing some Infinity and JBL GTO series speakers. The GTO seems to be really good fro what I have read online.

I have never heard the Kicker speakers in comparison, and I don't know which speaker the upgrade Kickers are equivalent to on their normal lineup. I would assume they are on par with their lower level offerings, the DS or CS series. So, I wouldn't know if the speakers I am looking at are of lesser or better quality. I also plan on upgrading to a sub eventually also....

Thanks for any input.

brentwoodkris 12-10-2013 10:36 AM

Re: Kicker upgrade amp paired with aftermarket speakers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpeezy (Post 942828)
Hi guys, I was searching on here and couldn't find the answer I was looking for, so thought I would ask.

I want to upgrade my audio and I will most likely get the Kicker upgrade amp(77kick18ab). I was wondering if it is better that I stick with the Kicker package on all the speakers, or if I go with some 2 ohm aftermarket speakers instead? I was eyeballing some Infinity and JBL GTO series speakers. The GTO seems to be really good fro what I have read online.

I have never heard the Kicker speakers in comparison, and I don't know which speaker the upgrade Kickers are equivalent to on their normal lineup. I would assume they are on par with their lower level offerings, the DS or CS series. So, I wouldn't know if the speakers I am looking at are of lesser or better quality. I also plan on upgrading to a sub eventually also....

Thanks for any input.

No reason not to upgrade to the speakers you "want." The Kicker amp upgrade IMHO is such a minimal upgrade (and comparison specs aren't widely available) that I could never justify upgrading mine and stuck with the Boston premium amp. I swapped the OEM paper-cone Bostons for Boston SE series all around and couldn't be happier, and I'm kind of an audiophile. Just buy the speakers you'll be happy with. IMHO, I've never been a big fan of the Kicker line in general, so I'd just pick something else on principal alone.:thumbsup:

That being said, nothing beat a side-by-side comparison. If you have a nice car audio place nearby, make sure to give them a listen before you buy!

jpeezy 12-11-2013 06:42 AM

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the time you took to answer :D

The main problem for me, is that I am in Kuwait and the on site audio offerings are very poor. I almost have to buy them blindly(or rather deaf in this case?) so I dont want to purchase something I am going to regret. Although, I do believe the JBL's will be quite nice. I have actually started looking at their Power series, they are a bit more expensive but seem to allow me to upgrade in the future with an aftermarket amp with more power if I do choose to do so. If anybody has experience with this series in conjunction with the Kicker upgrade amp, please chime in.

That being said, I looked at the Boston SE series that you have and they seem to be in the same price range as the Infinity Kappas and JBL Power series, so they are probably comparable to those I would assume, give or take. I will probably do a bit more research before I pull the trigger on a set. Thanks again!

brentwoodkris 12-11-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpeezy (Post 943526)
Thanks for the info, I appreciate the time you took to answer :D

The main problem for me, is that I am in Kuwait and the on site audio offerings are very poor. I almost have to buy them blindly(or rather deaf in this case?) so I dont want to purchase something I am going to regret. Although, I do believe the JBL's will be quite nice. I have actually started looking at their Power series, they are a bit more expensive but seem to allow me to upgrade in the future with an aftermarket amp with more power if I do choose to do so. If anybody has experience with this series in conjunction with the Kicker upgrade amp, please chime in.

That being said, I looked at the Boston SE series that you have and they seem to be in the same price range as the Infinity Kappas and JBL Power series, so they are probably comparable to those I would assume, give or take. I will probably do a bit more research before I pull the trigger on a set. Thanks again!

Yeah I bought the Boston SE's because they sounded clearer than the comparable Infinity speakers (which I was previously a fan of). The secondary reason was that because they were made by the same mfg as the OEM, fitment was a breeze and no modifications were necessary, except for some washers in the front doors to prevent a bit of window roll rub (the SE 6x9's are deeper by a bit). That being said, a member recently reported that the SE series is pretty hard to find these days, at least stateside.

Strongjeff 12-11-2013 04:04 PM

don't rule out the kicker KS, you only mentioned the D/CS Series. the KS are a much better speaker then the lower D/CS and there only 30-50$ more a pair. JBL's are a good choice too. ill get you a video so you can hear the KS in action. (im also running a 400watt amp on the speakers)

Strongjeff 12-11-2013 05:53 PM

audio vid in 3...2...1...

Audio Demo - YouTube

jpeezy 12-12-2013 12:12 AM

Thanks, appreciate the vid!