Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Allow dealership to replace RHR nav radio or not? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/allow-dealership-to-replace-rhr-nav-radio-or-not-69001.html)

Gerbermultit00l 12-09-2013 11:33 PM

Allow dealership to replace RHR nav radio or not?

Preface:
  • My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland is within 2,000 miles of being out of factory warranty (approx. 34,000 miles). Obviously I want to take care of stuff while I can free of charge.
  • I have a Mopar extended warranty with $100 deductible. Any fix at this point will cost me at least $100.
  • I live in metro Detroit and have connections within Harman Becker (the manufacture of the RHR radio)
I brought my Jeep to the dealership last week to look at my cruise control. At times I can't engage cruise control. Operation is intermittent. I drive a lot of highway miles. This is important to me. It's a pain on the highway to not have cruise.

Of course the cruise control worked while at the dealership. They say no problems found with cruise. I know through reading this forum that there is a problem with the switch. But, that is another story. Any advise here?

The interesting find is that the dealership said they found error codes with the nav radio and that it needs to be replaced. First let me say that the I know the functionality of the RHR nav radio well. It functions perfectly fine. I may have recently had problems updating firmware that may have set these codes. But that's my secret :)

To make a long story short. I believe the dealership is trying to collect labor $$$ from Chrysler for a questionable repair. However, I may benefit from this decision. Or not...

Will a new radio give me new problems?

I heard rumors that replacements could be refurb units with smaller internal hard drives. If so, I don't want to have anything to do with this. What is your experience?

Should I allow or pass?

Regards,

Gerb

*sox* 12-09-2013 11:40 PM

Re: Allow dealership to replace RHR nav radio or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbermultit00l (Post 943016)
Preface:
  • My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland is within 2,000 miles of being out of factory warranty (approx. 34,000 miles). Obviously I want to take care of stuff while I can free of charge.
  • I have a Mopar extended warranty with $100 deductible. Any fix at this point will cost me at least $100.
  • I live in metro Detroit and have connections within Harman Becker (the manufacture of the RHR radio)
I brought my Jeep to the dealership last week to look at my cruise control. At times I can't engage cruise control. Operation is intermittent. I drive a lot of highway miles. This is important to me. It's a pain on the highway to not have cruise.

Of course the cruise control worked while at the dealership. They say no problems found with cruise. I know through reading this forum that there is a problem with the switch. But, that is another story. Any advise here?

The interesting find is that the dealership said they found error codes with the nav radio and that it needs to be replaced. First let me say that the I know the functionality of the RHR nav radio well. It functions perfectly fine. I may have recently had problems updating firmware that may have set these codes. But that's my secret :)

To make a long story short. I believe the dealership is trying to collect labor $$$ from Chrysler for a questionable repair. However, I may benefit from this decision. Or not...

Will a new radio give me new problems?

I heard rumors that replacements could be refurb units with smaller internal hard drives. If so, I don't want to have anything to do with this. What is your experience?

Should I allow or pass?

Regards,

Gerb

have you issue with your Radio?

when not why change it ;)

Gerbermultit00l 12-10-2013 12:08 PM

Re: Allow dealership to replace RHR nav radio or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by *sox* (Post 943019)
have you issue with your Radio?

when not why change it ;)

I have no issues with the Radio.

I fear if I allow them to change it I will receive an inferior unit.

Regards,

Gerb