Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Pulsating brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/pulsating-brakes-69010.html)

Jdsmitty10 12-10-2013 09:38 AM

Pulsating brakes

My 2012 has pulsating brakes when braking hard or going down a long decent and braking often. It has 18k miles on it. Should I be concerned they are pulsating this early? Is this something the dealer would cover under warranty?

Bostondan77 12-10-2013 09:58 AM

Re: Pulsating brakes

any specific weather conditions?

Jdsmitty10 12-10-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostondan77 (Post 943133)
any specific weather conditions?

Not really. Seems to do it in any weather

lstowell 12-10-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 (Post 943166)
Not really. Seems to do it in any weather

If you stomp on it hard enough on a loose surface to invoke the ABS, does it feel like that, or are you just getting a pulsating pedal indicating a problem with a rotor?

Any wrench monkeys work on the rotors lately, where they may have overtorqued and warped them?

Jdsmitty10 12-10-2013 05:47 PM

When I get on them hard they do. Haven't tried hard enough to engage abs other than on snowy roads. Wheels were off for a tire rotation but that was last spring and I torqued to spec

loveracing1988 12-11-2013 02:12 AM

Take it to the dealer. The worst they are going to say is it isn't covered under warranty.

Yadkin 12-11-2013 07:25 AM

I came from an 04 Exploder that was notoriously 'under braked' and warped rotors several times. I drive a lot of mountain roads with long high speed descents. The '12 Jeep has much large brakes and haven't had a problem after 40k miles.

That being said, your description points to a warped rotor. Jack each wheel and spin by hand. You should be able to hear it in a quiet garage.

Not sure if its covered under warranty.

Jeepster910 12-11-2013 09:41 AM

Rotors!!!!
With my 04 Grand Cherokee it has been the rotors (front) that have warped.
In fact my 01 was the same story but not as bad.
The pulsing will keep getting worse till it gets fixed.
They need to be ground down or replaced if there is not enough rotor to grind down. Usually the first time a grind, then replacement.
Depending on your driving, stop and go or all highway will be the determining factor.
I am running every 2 years or so with the pulsing rotors. This time at 55,000 miles I replaced the brakes and rotors. Most of my driving is non Highway.
Good luck

Setoutguy 12-11-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepster910 (Post 943580)
Rotors!!!!
With my 04 Grand Cherokee it has been the rotors (front) that have warped.
In fact my 01 was the same story but not as bad.
The pulsing will keep getting worse till it gets fixed.
They need to be ground down or replaced if there is not enough rotor to grind down. Usually the first time a grind, then replacement.
Depending on your driving, stop and go or all highway will be the determining factor.
I am running every 2 years or so with the pulsing rotors. This time at 55,000 miles I replaced the brakes and rotors. Most of my driving is non Highway.
Good luck

If the rotor is already warped doesnt make any sense to grind it down. I would replace with an OEM rotor and not some cheap part store rotor. Not sure how the labor will be billed for turning the rotor but it may balance out with simple repalcement vs turning the rotor.

Jeepster910 12-11-2013 11:03 AM

The dealer (Jeep) will grind down as it costs less than replacing.
If they are warped real bad and need to be grinded down too much then replacement is the only option.
All my service has been at my local Jeep dealer.
If the Jeep is under warranty, 3/36 the rotors should be covered. I have had the last 2 jeeps covered. They replaced the rotors under warranty.

Yes, you are correct! Use OEM not the cheap aftermarket ones.

Jdsmitty10 12-11-2013 11:14 AM

Oem must be pretty cheap if I might need new ones at 18,000 miles??

Jeepster910 12-11-2013 11:38 AM

I agree! That is about the only complaint I have had on Jeep.
I do think that the brakes should be heavier duty especially if there is tow group involved or off road package.
Heat is what warps the rotors. A better heat dissipation system and larger rotors is what is needed.
I hope the new 2014 Cherokees are much better.
:(