Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   BioDiesel vs Petrolium Diesel (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/biodiesel-vs-petrolium-diesel-69028.html)

Benzo 12-10-2013 07:13 PM

BioDiesel vs Petrolium Diesel

Has anybody made a comparison between milage and power when using either one of these 2 fuels?

Just curious as I can have BioDiesel delivered here for on average $0.30 less then petroleum diesel from the gas pumps.

walt_mink 12-11-2013 01:30 PM

Re: BioDiesel vs Petrolium Diesel

As with most topics like this, if you do a web search and you'll get a bunch of different opinions.

That said, it seems to be reliable fact that bio increases the ash particulate size which increases the frequency of Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regenerations.

Have a look:
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy07osti/40015.pdf

Benzo 12-11-2013 01:44 PM

Most tests I have researched were done using a different fuel delivery system... just curious if anyone made a real world comparison on the two using a vehicle that uses a motor with common rail fuel injection.

I've gone through 2 tanks of Petro Diesel and recently started using B99... haven't seen a difference yet.

walt_mink 12-11-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzo (Post 943688)
Most tests I have researched were done using a different fuel delivery system... just curious if anyone made a real world comparison on the two using a vehicle that uses a motor with common rail fuel injection.

I've gone through 2 tanks of Petro Diesel and recently started using B99... haven't seen a difference yet.

I was running 99 in my 2009 VW TDI which has a common rail as well and saw about a 15% decrease in mileage over petroleum diesel. Bio has about 8% lower energy content (volumetrically, dependent on stock) which I took into account for my tracking. I've made the big assumption that the DPF Regens were making up a large amount of the delta.

Benzo 12-11-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walt_mink (Post 943706)
I was running 99 in my 2009 VW TDI which has a common rail as well and saw about a 15% decrease in mileage over petroleum diesel. Bio has about 8% lower energy content (volumetrically, dependent on stock) which I took into account for my tracking. I've made the big assumption that the DPF Regens were making up a large amount of the delta.

Thanks for the input... making me reconsider the B99.

Jim_in_PA 12-11-2013 05:02 PM

You may also want to check the Jeep specifications for fuel to see what they "approve" of relative to bio-diesel blend %. I seem to remember something about that from discussion awhile back..

Roadkill 12-11-2013 06:49 PM

Based on what I saw in the online copy of the diesel supplement it appeared that biodiesel was just a huge headache.

You aren't supposed to use greater than B20, or it claims you can void your engine warranty. You are supposed to de-rate your oil, filter, and fuel filter by at least by 20% (putatively based on the level of biodiesel mix, with B20 causing faster wear than B5). There is a separate maintenance chart for biodiesel users.

No doubt some people are using biodiesel with no problems, but I am going to pass on it.

amr40509 12-12-2013 12:36 PM

Around here (Kentucky) it's kind of hard to tell what you are getting. I never see Cetane listed at the pump, and have been surprised by Bio a few times. It seems that some stations sell straight Bio, some just have "diesel" with no other info, and some have little stickers in non-obvious places on the pump indicating either 5% Bio or even more vaguely 'may contain 5-20% Bio'.

walt_mink 12-12-2013 12:48 PM

One important reason the maintenance schedule is so much shorter is because bio is a solvent and it cleans the crud out of your fuel system.

When my 05 Dodge was brand new (<1000 miles) I put in a tank of B50. Everything was fine for the first 20 miles or so and then I lost all power and it was running rough. Turns out the bio had cleaned all sorts of crap out of the tanks and lines which clogged my fuel filter. I replaced it (easy) and had great running afterwards for the next 85,000 miles.

I took that to mean that either
a) the petroleum diesel I had bought for the first 1000 miles was really dirty
or
b) there was some crud in the tank/lines from the factory

I'm guessing a little bit of both. After that I always carried an extra fuel filter, a wrench, and some rubber gloves in case I needed to make an emergency change again (never happened) and I replaced the fuel filter with every oil change at 10,000 miles for peace of mind.

I have doubts about needing to change the engine oil more often - it sounds more like CYA. That said, for me, the added benefits of increased lubricity for the high pressure pumps/injectors isn't worth the headache of clogged DPF systems so I'm sticking to petroleum and a high quality additive for my SFU.

Hammerhead 12-30-2013 11:47 AM

I used biodiesel in my 2008 WK since it was new didn't notice any significant difference in mileage or power. The mileage usually varied by as much as 5% just based on how much I had to idle in traffic. The Mercedes CRD in my 2008 also seemed to run a little quieter with B99.

I used as high as b99 in the summer months and lower percentages down to B5 in the coldest winter months when temps get down to the teens or 20s.

We clocked 134,000 miles on the old rig and I just did my first fill-up this morning and splash mixed to fill with B10.

Silverdiesel 01-01-2014 01:05 PM

This truck has that 5 year / 100k power train warranty on top of the 3/36k full warranty. The diesel supplement as mentioned says greater than 20% bio will void all this. My feel is not to go over 20%.
The supplement however really pushes to have a 5% concentration but this is for lubricity inside the CP4 and injectors and this leads to Longer life of these expensive parts.
I now have three light diesels in my driveway now--basically the break is anything without DPF/SCR (2006 and older) gets any concentration of biodiesel and newer (2007 on) is max 5 to 20%....

Roland