Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export & Diesel Powered Jeep Models (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/)
-   -   2008 CRD 3.0 Diesel Rear Axle noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/2008-crd-3-0-diesel-rear-axle-noise-69070.html)

kellys_eye 12-11-2013 05:36 PM

2008 CRD 3.0 Diesel Rear Axle noise

Hi,

I acquired a 2008 CRD diesel last year and it is making a 'creaking' noise when you pull away after a first-thing start (mornings). It only lasts until you get moving thereafter it goes away. It sounds like a dragging handbrake/pad but this has been checked and found to be NOT the problem.

I've now found a leaking rear diff pinion shaft oil seal that needs to be fixed.

A few questions therefore:

1. Is the leak related to the 'creak'?
2. If it is, what precisely is causing it?
3. The diff leak - what's the worst case scenario if it runs dry? And no, I have no plans to let it!
4. What kind of costs am I looking at to have the seal replaced (got the seal already for 20 - UK prices, call it $30 US). Is this task 'difficult' for the average mechanic (i.e. me)?

Many thanks in advance.

jeeper_57 12-16-2013 01:53 PM

Re: 2008 CRD 3.0 Diesel Rear Axle noise

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellys_eye (Post 943809)
Hi,

I acquired a 2008 CRD diesel last year and it is making a 'creaking' noise when you pull away after a first-thing start (mornings). It only lasts until you get moving thereafter it goes away. It sounds like a dragging handbrake/pad but this has been checked and found to be NOT the problem.

I've now found a leaking rear diff pinion shaft oil seal that needs to be fixed.

A few questions therefore:

1. Is the leak related to the 'creak'?
2. If it is, what precisely is causing it?
3. The diff leak - what's the worst case scenario if it runs dry? And no, I have no plans to let it!
4. What kind of costs am I looking at to have the seal replaced (got the seal already for 20 - UK prices, call it $30 US). Is this task 'difficult' for the average mechanic (i.e. me)?

Many thanks in advance.

have you already checked fluid level ?
The worst case ?? hum like for me change all the rear axle.
I also had a leaking rear axle at the start( one year ago), then it makes more and more noise (bearings , spider gear and the small shaft hs)

It's not so difficult but you need time to do it , paid 150 e to have it done at dealership( no time to do it myself)

kellys_eye 12-18-2013 06:37 AM

Thanks Jeeper.

Did the noisy diff on your car get gradually worse DESPITE refilling the oil? In other words does an oil leak 'inevitably' lead to a diff change?

If you don't mind me asking where did you get a replacement axle and how much did it cost?

jeeper_57 12-18-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellys_eye (Post 947278)
Thanks Jeeper.

Did the noisy diff on your car get gradually worse DESPITE refilling the oil? In other words does an oil leak 'inevitably' lead to a diff change?

If you don't mind me asking where did you get a replacement axle and how much did it cost?

for me it was too late the former owner was towing an van with the leak .
a service of this seal can help a bit , I would open the diff cover to see if don't have excessive play in the spider gears , there is a service kit existing in US it' much more cheaper than a rear axle

kellys_eye 12-20-2013 02:44 PM

Got the seal changed today for the princely sum of 50 ($80) - bargain! Found no excessive play in the bearings either - bonus!

Thanks for the advice.