Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Mopar door handles (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/mopar-door-handles-69121.html)

JStead82 12-12-2013 09:45 PM

Mopar door handles
 
First off, I know there are a hundred threads about de-chroming --specifically the door handles and side mirrors. I'm looking to paint my chrome door handles or possibly replace them with Laredo color matched ones from Moparonlineparts.com ...now here is my question.

Pricing out all four door handles I found the prices to be a bit inconsistent, esp the rear doors. Anyone know why? Or is this simply a supply and demand ?

FRONT DOOR
Handle, outside, Painted, Charcoal Left - $84.12
Handle, outside, Painted, Charcoal Right - $82.28

REAR DOOR
Handle, outside, Painted, Charcoal Left - $30.42
Handle, outside, Painted, Charcoal Right - $52.27


Final thought, what's the consensus on painting the chrome, and for those that have, has it held up over time ? I've seen snippets in several threads, but no real vote as of yet.

Thanks guys.


Oh yea, I picked up a Charcoal Limited 5.7L. woot I dig it


Crap, last thought. How would either of these option effect vehicle warranty?

jeepinAl 12-13-2013 12:29 AM

Re: Mopar door handles
 
I don't have any answers for ya ( useful I know), but I'm surprised that the door handles aren't more expensive. I'd also be curious to find out if it took more then just the handle to swap out.

Also, I know you were thinking about a '14 DC group buy, what year did you end up buying?

JStead82 12-13-2013 06:34 AM

Re: Mopar door handles
 
I was yea. But he dealer really never got back to me and was overall pretty terrible when I did speak to him. Unfortunate since I heard many great things. Oh well.

I ended up getting a 2011 limited w only 15k miles. It was previously owned by an older couple as their second vehicle. Personal mechanic checked it out, everything looked great, so I pulled the trigger. Negotiated a good price and I typically like the look of the 2011-2013 over the 14's anyhow. Overall a happy camper.

Now I just need to reduce some of this chrome. Like many others, not a big fan.

I'm not completely sold on the altitude grill on a charcoal JGC, especially since I have HID's and seems I cannot switch out w the black-lined altitude headlights. (The altitude headlights really seem to make a difference when tiring in the black grill)

I was however thinking of body matching the grill and rear brow charcoal...anyone have a pic/photoshop of this look?

Jeep_addicted 12-13-2013 08:00 AM

Re: Mopar door handles
 
Painting chrome is as good as the prep work done and the materials used.

Find a shop that has a good track record in painting chrome and you should not have any worries.

As far as warranty goes. If you replace what your car was originally equipped with that part would not be covered by the warranty.

For example You replace the door handle and something goes wrong with it. They pull the VIN to order you a replacement part and see your car had chrome door handles there is nothing they will do for you. Now all new parts have a limited warranty so if you ordered new door handles had an authorized shop replace them and one is found to be defective the part would be replaced but you are on the hook for the labor.

If you have projector headlights and want to do a Altitude grille you can simply swap out to SRT headlights, it is an even swap. You can always unload your old projectors to someone that needs a replacement or wants to upgrade from halogen, that would subsidize your upgrade.

Colormatching the parts is a safe way to go, A completely new grille is pricey these days and if you have to pay shipping on it that takes the price even higher because of the dimensions 84" across 13" deep and 12" high. The trailhawk grille is the least expensive painted grille with mesh you can buy right now.

JStead82 12-13-2013 08:16 AM

Re: Mopar door handles
 
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Searching now, has anyone paint match dark charcoal grill?
I saw a pic of a gray S-Limited... Looks pretty snazzy. I want to avoid a real blatant aftermarket mod look.

Props to dslide and durangozj. Clean looks.

jgc4ever 12-13-2013 10:26 AM

Re: Mopar door handles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JStead82 (Post 944653)
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Searching now, has anyone paint match dark charcoal grill?
I saw a pic of a gray S-Limited... Looks pretty snazzy. I want to avoid a real blatant aftermarket mod look.

Props to dslide and durangozj. Clean looks.

Someone on this forum paint matched the grille, rear brow, mirros, and wheels on a 2011 Charcoal Overland. They posted pictures on this forum. It's somewhere if you search hard enough. It did look great.

JStead82 12-13-2013 10:27 AM

Re: Mopar door handles
 
Yea I'm still look'n haha

2014GC 12-15-2013 08:40 AM

Re: Mopar door handles
 
My drivers door chrome handle cracked right where you push to lock. Are they plastic or metal? My dealer ordered the cover and will replace it when it comes in. Anyway with minor prep the should hold paint well.

Marlon_JB2 12-15-2013 09:26 AM

Re: Mopar door handles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 944647)
As far as warranty goes. If you replace what your car was originally equipped with that part would not be covered by the warranty.

For example You replace the door handle and something goes wrong with it. They pull the VIN to order you a replacement part and see your car had chrome door handles there is nothing they will do for you. Now all new parts have a limited warranty so if you ordered new door handles had an authorized shop replace them and one is found to be defective the part would be replaced but you are on the hook for the labor.

Factory sequencing errors. They do occasionally happen, you know. :lol:

I'm SURE the OP just "didn't notice"... tee hee

jp467 12-15-2013 09:29 AM

Re: Mopar door handles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JStead82 (Post 944504)
First off, I know there are a hundred threads about de-chroming --specifically the door handles and side mirrors. I'm looking to paint my chrome door handles or possibly replace them with Laredo color matched ones from Moparonlineparts.com ...now here is my question.

Pricing out all four door handles I found the prices to be a bit inconsistent, esp the rear doors. Anyone know why? Or is this simply a supply and demand ?

FRONT DOOR
Handle, outside, Painted, Charcoal Left - $84.12
Handle, outside, Painted, Charcoal Right - $82.28

REAR DOOR
Handle, outside, Painted, Charcoal Left - $30.42
Handle, outside, Painted, Charcoal Right - $52.27


Final thought, what's the consensus on painting the chrome, and for those that have, has it held up over time ? I've seen snippets in several threads, but no real vote as of yet.

Thanks guys.


Oh yea, I picked up a Charcoal Limited 5.7L. woot I dig it


Crap, last thought. How would either of these option effect vehicle warranty?

I don't understand this. Buy the more expensive model and then spend money to make it look like the cheaper model? I think the chrome handles look better and more upscale.

JStead82 12-15-2013 09:45 AM

Re: Mopar door handles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 945680)
I don't understand this. Buy the more expensive model and then spend money to make it look like the cheaper model? I think the chrome handles look better and more upscale.

To each his own...

I got a great deal on a car that had most everything I wanted. A few cosmetic changes and I'm gravy!

My .o2 cents .. Chrome is not classy. Brushed aluminum is classy

760hacker 12-17-2013 08:33 AM

Re: Mopar door handles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JStead82 (Post 945689)
To each his own...

I got a great deal on a car that had most everything I wanted. A few cosmetic changes and I'm gravy!

My .o2 cents .. Chrome is not classy. Brushed aluminum is classy

I know on the 2014 I assume the rear handles are cheaper due to the lack of keyless entry mechanisms.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community