Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   what unit (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/what-unit-6913.html)

95_V8_ZJ 02-25-2010 07:54 AM

what unit

if i wanted a factory mopar unit that has nav, sirius, am, fm, cd.. what unit would be the one to find?? i would also like to watch dvds while driving. what would i have to do and what unit like the REC or the My GIg, or what .. sry for the newb ness... i wouldnt even mind doing the one where you have to have a sep source for the dvd (ps2 xbox) to plug in and play them on the screen.. which is prob what i would prefer, so what is the unit called and any pics??

saleen032 02-25-2010 08:56 AM

Re: what unit

Either of those units have what you are looking for...the problem is, they use a different type of system to communicate with the vehicle, and I havent heard of anybody who is making an adapter cable to integrate the radios into older vehicles like your ZJ....But I am not 100% sure that there isnt one out there..do some research...

Matt 02-25-2010 08:59 AM

To use in your ZJ...? I'd just go aftermarket. It will be easier, cheaper, and better.

95_V8_ZJ 02-25-2010 10:55 AM

yeah i have seen them in the ZJ.. he said he used a unit from a wrangler and he even got it to display Jeep when he turned the key on.... and speakin of that what would that unit be called ..??

Rich 02-25-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 158627)
To use in your ZJ...? I'd just go aftermarket. It will be easier, cheaper, and better.

X2

The RB1 was the first to offer what you want, doubt it will work in the ZJ

Matt 02-25-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95_V8_ZJ (Post 158695)
yeah i have seen them in the ZJ.. he said he used a unit from a wrangler and he even got it to display Jeep when he turned the key on.... and speakin of that what would that unit be called ..??

And if fits in the dash without extensive modification?

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-25-2010 02:05 PM

im pretty sure they dont have any factory nav units for the zj unless the rb1 will work. get an aftermarket unit.

95_V8_ZJ 02-25-2010 03:09 PM

trust me i am not afraid to mod my dash to fit a (i think they are) 7" screen that displays Jeep when i start her up..lol.. and i just want it to look like it came that way.. i am not really into aftermarket unless it isn't offered by Mopar....thats why i have a 95 that has a sunroof, and a title that says 4.0 and i have a 318 V8 in it.. and a hatch with flip up window on a Jeep with a 01-95 build date.. and 98 body panels and bumpers.... and a passenger mirror that goes down when i put it in reverse (and those were done before i was 16 or 17 except the motor swap) ..lol.. so the RB1?? thanks guys..any more info if any body sells these cheaper than anyone else.. or just keep my eyes open kinda thing??

Matt 02-25-2010 03:20 PM

So, let me see if I can wrap my head around this...

You want to try and fit an OEM navigation unit made for Jeeps 10 years newer than your ZJ? You want to undergo extensive fiberglass fabrication to get it aesthetically pleasing, custom wire a harness into the vehicle (the newer unit use a CAN B BUS system, I doubt the ZJ's do, not sure how that affects things, but it can't be good for you)... not to mention OEM units are less superior than an aftermarket unit... all so you can see the 4 letters "Jeep" for a split second when you start the vehicle....?

No offense, but this is as almost as dumb as that other idiot trying to rebuild his Jeep that blew-up. LOL.

Matt 02-25-2010 03:21 PM

And I'm pretty sure on a lot of aftermarket units you can create a custom greeting, so you could have your "Jeep" greeting if it is that important to you.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-25-2010 03:37 PM

and since you do not have a can bus system the oem radio will not know what vehicle it is in so it will not say jeep on the beginning. these units are not even touch screen and they start at around $600 for one in good condition. you can get far superior units for less by going aftermarket

Matt 02-25-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 158853)
and since you do not have a can bus system the oem radio will not know what vehicle it is in so it will not say jeep on the beginning. these units are not even touch screen and they start at around $600 for one in good condition. you can get far superior units for less by going aftermarket

x2. I would never pay money for an in-car nav system and it not be touchscreen. That would be, well, dumb.