Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Avg fuel eco question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/avg-fuel-eco-question-69180.html)

firefighterk 12-14-2013 09:57 AM

Avg fuel eco question

Hey everyone. I Usually get 10.5/ 11.5 on avg running on regular gas 2012 hemi 5.7. I just had my oil change with synthetic which I Usually do but I filled my car up with 89 plus gas as regular was sold out. I'm getting an avg of 6.1 3.1 and other random numbers. I reset it and it will go up to 10.5 then drop and stay at 6.2. Anyone know if changing the gas or oil makes a difference. Does it have to re calibrate by itself.

Thanks. Hope I made sense.

loveracing1988 12-17-2013 05:04 AM

How much of a lead foot are you? Unless you idle more than you drive those numbers are horrible... To answer your question though it will figure out what octane is in it pretty much right away. The oil really has nothing to do with it unless you went from sludge to clean oil.

padgett 12-17-2013 09:10 AM

Re: Avg fuel eco question

Agree, those are terrible numbers even for a hemi unless your life is spent as a mail carrier or driving around crowded malls.

Going from regular to 89 may make a small difference in MPG but not much, the ignition should retard a little but is about it except at WOT.

To even have an opinion we need to know more about where you are and what kind of driving you do.

Setoutguy 12-17-2013 07:04 PM

OP didnt post a location but I bet he isnt in the US or Canada. Maybe Australia and his using liters rather than gallons???

Would have thought you would have caught this loveracing1988 since you are all knowing and have an IQ in the high double digits.

padgett 12-17-2013 08:56 PM

Thought about that but 6.1 liters/100 km would be 38 mpg which is unlikely. Also not many other countries use PON (from the mention of 89 that sounds like regular is 87) which also puts him below 4,000 feet. Also imperial gallons would give better MPG, not worse.

So my money would be on a northern US location in a major city, is parked outside, and has a remote starter.

ps if misfiring I wonder if he got some water in the gas from a little used pump.

bill_de 12-17-2013 09:08 PM

Did the oil used meet the Chrysler requirements and was it the correct weight? If it's the wrong weight, can't that effect the system that shuts down cylinders?

---

loveracing1988 12-17-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 947134)
Did the oil used meet the Chrysler requirements and was it the correct weight? If it's the wrong weight, can't that effect the system that shuts down cylinders?

---

True, although it will throw a check engine light.

loveracing1988 12-17-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setoutguy (Post 947070)
OP didnt post a location but I bet he isnt in the US or Canada. Maybe Australia and his using liters rather than gallons???

Would have thought you would have caught this loveracing1988 since you are all knowing and have an IQ in the high double digits.

You are correct, of course now that you were proven wrong you will stop responding.