Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Must Listen - This American Life episode dedicate to a Jeep Dealer (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/must-listen-this-american-life-episode-dedicate-to-a-jeep-dealer-69189.html)

mswlogo 12-14-2013 01:03 PM

Must Listen - This American Life episode dedicate to a Jeep Dealer

You gotta listen to this show.

For those that don't know they pick a topic and just jump into the real world on it. It's an awesome show. Might be a day of Prison inmate, a drug addict, a song writer, a cop, a politician. Anything goes.

This is about a Jeep Dealer in N.Y. trying to meet the quota for the month.

It is being broadcast throughout the weekend on Public Radio Stations.

At the end of the weekend (7PM Sunday) it's available to stream direct for free here for week.

129 Cars | This American Life

It's an hour long, but worth a listen.

mswlogo 12-15-2013 08:51 PM

Re: Must Listen - This American Life episode dedicate to a Jeep Dealer

The link above will now work.

I just checked it and they said the Internet Version is "Unbleeped" where the radio version has to be bleeped. I'm tempted to listen to the unbleeped version again.

The link will only work for a week.

If you ever bought a car, especially a grand Cherokee you'll love it.

JC_0105 12-16-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 945994)
The link above will now work.

I just checked it and they said the Internet Version is "Unbleeped" where the radio version has to be bleeped. I'm tempted to listen to the unbleeped version again.

The link will only work for a week.

If you ever bought a car, especially a grand Cherokee you'll love it.

Very interesting..thanks for posting.

whartung 12-17-2013 08:16 PM

Yea, this was quite interesting.

I'm curious how the end of month at this dealership was different from a Saturn dealership. In theory, at least back in the day, Saturn was a "no haggle" business. So, curious how the dealer incentivizes customers when they can't play games with the price. I guess they can play with the trade, or game other dealer add ons.

But it also simply shows that despite what we "know" about car pricing, as consumers, we're still uninformed about the selling process. We simply don't have enough information.

Seems like the best bet is to go late in the month in the hopes that the dealer is having a crummy month. I think the dealer is more apt to deal when the lot quota is short than when a specific sales persons quota is short.

Also more reasons to sell your car later and have financing set up.

What a game, no wonder I hate buying cars.

judal98 12-17-2013 10:04 PM

Thanks OP...entertaining for sure.

BigBlue99 12-18-2013 09:33 AM

Thanks for posting. Made for a much better bumper to bumper commute this am.

jdshaw 12-18-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 945257)
You gotta listen to this show.

For those that don't know they pick a topic and just jump into the real world on it. It's an awesome show. Might be a day of Prison inmate, a drug addict, a song writer, a cop, a politician. Anything goes.

This is about a Jeep Dealer in N.Y. trying to meet the quota for the month.

It is being broadcast throughout the weekend on Public Radio Stations.

At the end of the weekend (7PM Sunday) it's available to stream direct for free here for week.

129 Cars | This American Life

It's an hour long, but worth a listen.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting and entertaining.

Jeff_Jeske 12-18-2013 03:04 PM

I loved it. When im ready to buy my next vehicle...I'm gonna go mid month and leave my business card with the manager stating I'm ready to buy at a moments notice but want my choice for $ X. I'm betting I can shave an extra $2k off the price.

Chunderboy 12-18-2013 03:15 PM

That was a great listen. There were parts where I was kinda rooting for the dealer and other times where I was thinking, "man, what a disgusting business". But on the other hand, I might have been one of those guys that got them to their magic number...I mean, I did get the car for 21% under MSRP..

Dan JGC 12-18-2013 03:38 PM

Was fun to listen to and interesting. What this tells me is the current car sales model is broken as it heavily relied on poorly informed consumers to really make money and now that pricing information is readily available on the Internet. Tesla has its sales model, will see how the sales model evolves but the future will be more toward an educating the consumer on the product model. See how an Apple Store is set up to experience the product and be a solution provider/problem solver along with service and education to keep the customer beyond the one time sale. Car sales will change but who beyond Tesla will lead it? And it can only be lead by great products first (no more cr a ppy cars).

Chunderboy 12-18-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 947476)
Was fun to listen to and interesting. What this tells me is the current car sales model is broken as it heavily relied on poorly informed consumers to really make money and now that pricing information is readily available on the Internet. Tesla has its sales model, will see how the sales model evolves but the future will be more toward an educating the consumer on the product model. See how an Apple Store is set up to experience the product and be a solution provider/problem solver along with service and education to keep the customer beyond the one time sale. Car sales will change but who beyond Tesla will lead it? And it can only be lead by great products first (no more cr a ppy cars).

I certainly agree with you about tesla, but they are also a much much smaller company than Chrysler or Ford with salespeople that are selling a very unique product to an equally unique consumer. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand dealing with a salesperson that doesn't know their product better than I know it, but I don't think most people ask the same questions that us forum goers do? I mean, there is a thread with almost 10 pages about floor mats... LOL

Additionally, hasn't the auto sales market been this way forever? Make up for the consumer that knows stuff about the product and pricing, by taking advantage of the less knowledgeable ones?

Dan JGC 12-18-2013 05:31 PM

^^^ Yes, but as they talk about in the podcast, more consumers are coming in fully armed with pricing information and that has put the squeeze on the dealerships...and especially the sales person waiting for walk-in's. Tesla may be a small player now, but that doesn't mean their sales model is not better....investing less in the physical plant for selling and servicing vehicles while providing a better sales and ownership experience will win...the economics of owning the dealership when you dramatically reduce the cost of the dealership will make sense for the manufacturers. Moreover, Tesla is getting prepared for a mass market product too. I don't own Tesla stock but I do see positives for this company going forward.