Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   DEF Tank Capacity (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/def-tank-capacity-69272.html)

Jarek0423 12-16-2013 10:37 AM

DEF Tank Capacity

Does anybody know exactly what the DEF tank capacity is? I've seen estimations on a few threads (seems like 8 gal?) but was wondering if anybody has the exact figure. Thanks

beechjetdriver 12-19-2013 06:28 AM

Re: DEF Tank Capacity

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarek0423 (Post 946231)
Does anybody know exactly what the DEF tank capacity is? I've seen estimations on a few threads (seems like 8 gal?) but was wondering if anybody has the exact figure. Thanks

Diesel Power Magazine says it's 8 gallons: "Conveniently, the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) tank holds 8 gallons of fluid and is accessed through the fuel door, not the interior, as in some of the European competition. Also, the expected 10,000-mile range of the urea tank was designed to coincide with the 10,000-mile service interval of the engine, making the transition of adding another maintenance fluid easier on the consumer"

caliche27 12-21-2013 01:20 PM

I had to add 7.5 gallons ($45) when the odometer hit 2600 miles. Since I'm traveling on vacation, I was unable to bring the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostics—Jeep customer service said the DEF fill up intervals should be around 10K miles. Any one else having this problem?

Roki303 12-22-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliche27 (Post 948719)
I had to add 7.5 gallons ($45) when the odometer hit 2600 miles. Since I'm traveling on vacation, I was unable to bring the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostics—Jeep customer service said the DEF fill up intervals should be around 10K miles. Any one else having this problem?

Wonder how much you had to begin with. My guess would probably not full or you have a leak.

fnkychkn 12-22-2013 01:19 PM

from FSM:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...psd0f29f2e.png

Quote:

may not have been filled at PDI or, as was suggested, you may have a leak.

caliche27 12-22-2013 02:08 PM

Thanks for the information. I've Added DEF by Peak—I believe, Peak meets the standard mentioned above. The fluid specs are on the link below. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for leaks.

http://images.peakauto.com/bluedef_data_specs_.pdf

LabRatICMP3 12-22-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

You can get DEF at most truck stops from a pump for about $3 a gallon.

caliche27 12-22-2013 07:31 PM

I was unaware of this service at truck stops. Thanks for the tip. Cheers.

MuSh 12-23-2013 06:42 AM

If yours was anything like mine, then you started with less than half a tank. I didn't notice mine until a couple days after buying it. I fully intend to call the dealer and request they top off the tank after I get back from holiday travel. Good to know some truck stops sell it.

archcat74 12-29-2013 03:50 PM

In our Australian models, we don't have access to this DEF tank at all.....apparently we are too stupid to be able to look after our own cars here so the kindly stealers will top it off for us when we get a service!

netboy 12-29-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archcat74 (Post 951732)
In our Australian models, we don't have access to this DEF tank at all.....apparently we are too stupid to be able to look after our own cars here so the kindly stealers will top it off for us when we get a service!

You might want to research that more extensively. AFAIK, Australia's emissions code does not require a Selective Catalytic Reduction system as the EU and US code do, and so there is no DEF tank there.

CNY_WK2 12-30-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netboy (Post 951816)
You might want to research that more extensively. AFAIK, Australia's emissions code does not require a Selective Catalytic Reduction system as the EU and US code do, and so there is no DEF tank there.

True statement.

Currently the US model is the only one with the DEF.

New EU specs and such are going to make it a necessity in the future for all regions to have the DEF / SCR / etc..