Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Factory "Bright" Rails unsuitable for rack mounts? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/factory-bright-rails-unsuitable-for-rack-mounts-69275.html)

Carpecervisia 12-16-2013 12:04 PM

Factory "Bright" Rails unsuitable for rack mounts?

I recently tried to order a set of Yakima Whispbars but was told that the Fit Kit that attaches directly to the factory "bright" rails was out of stock and being discontinued.

I then attempted to get the Thule Aerobars, only to find that they've discontinued the fit kits that attach to the rails.

Finally I figured I'd look into the Mopar ones and, sure enough, they no longer list the ones that attach to the rails.

I threw my two cents into an ongoing thread at Jeep forum:

Bars for Flush Roof Rails - JeepForum.com

One of the commenters had this statement: "Thule has made this combination obsolete because of (as told by a local Thule distributor) vibration and stability issues with heavier loads when mounted to the factory rails."

I've never heard of the factory rails being a problem but something is up when the two major rack manufacturers stop making mounts for the rails. I figured I'd check on Jeep Garage to see if anyone here has heard about this problem.

Clutch 12-18-2013 07:53 PM

Re: Factory "Bright" Rails unsuitable for rack mounts?

Man i hope not. Was just about to look into getting a set of thules.

RedDragon 12-19-2013 05:42 AM

I have just put a set of whisper bars on my jeep. Plenty in stock in Australia!
They don't mount to the rails but bolt into the holes that the rails mount to. Check out the fitment instructions for the jeep on the whisper bar website and you will see what it's like

bill_de 12-19-2013 07:50 AM

I got the Thule fit kit to mount the original square utility bars that I have used for over a decade on 5 vehicles. The Jeep rails seem to be more for show than utility. They don't even allow the use of Thule's universal mount that slips below the rail.

Installing these new ones is a bit of a pain as they have to squeeze the rail at the right angle to hold on. They work, but I only use them locally. I would not haul my kayak 50 miles on the highway with the new set up.

So you can't put long stuff through the flipper glass, and the roof rack is sub standard.

Jeep is marketing to folks who want a cross over rather than utility.

Oh well.

Carpecervisia 12-20-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDragon (Post 947719)
They don't mount to the rails but bolt into the holes that the rails mount to. Check out the fitment instructions for the jeep on the whisper bar website and you will see what it's like

That's the fit kit I was trying to get: K624. I'm told that it's being discontinued. I'm hoping that they're just getting ready to produce a new design... we'll see.

Personally, I'd like to get some true raised side rails. I'm hoping that the rails on the Trailhawk II Concept will become production and be able to be bolted onto the regurlar WK2s

Qmulus 12-20-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDragon (Post 947719)

I assume you mean Whispbar? Whispbar - The Quietest Removable Roof Racks and Rack Accessories for The Great Outdoors

Looks great. Too bad we can't get them in the US.

Carpecervisia 12-20-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qmulus (Post 948328)
I assume you mean Whispbar? Whispbar - The Quietest Removable Roof Racks and Rack Accessories for The Great Outdoors

You can get them the ole USofA. They're being sold as Yakima Whispbars.

Roof Rack Systems | Yakima

I heard somewhere that Yakima bought Whispbar.

Still, you can't get the rail mounted fit kit anymore..

Qmulus 12-20-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpecervisia (Post 948352)
You can get them the ole USofA. They're being sold as Yakima Whispbars.

Roof Rack Systems | Yakima

I heard somewhere that Yakima bought Whispbar.

Still, you can't get the rail mounted fit kit anymore..

Ah yes. Now it makes sense. When I priced them they were considerable more expensive than the Thule system. So I wonder when Jeep and the aftermarket are going to announce a new solution to this? I hope if they go to a different rail system that they will still have some solution, retrofit kit, updated mounts, whatever, for the current rails.

RedDragon 12-21-2013 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qmulus (Post 948328)

That's them. Yakima owns them.

ledcat 12-23-2013 02:56 PM

I just put these on 2011-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Crossbars Roof Luggage Racks OE Style FAST SHIPPING : Amazon.com : Automotive
I don't see any problem with hauling stuff with these. They mount very solid. I understand you can only get approx. 29" spread with the factory rails, but it is solid. I have a 63" x 39" x 19" cargo box on it now with about 75 lbs. in it. I have been driving all over the place with it testing it, with no issues.

cwmccall 12-30-2013 06:38 PM

Ledcad, which Jeep model did you install the items at the Amazon link? Would you post some pictures?

Thanks.

jaredstrauss 12-30-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qmulus (Post 948358)
Ah yes. Now it makes sense. When I priced them they were considerable more expensive than the Thule system. So I wonder when Jeep and the aftermarket are going to announce a new solution to this? I hope if they go to a different rail system that they will still have some solution, retrofit kit, updated mounts, whatever, for the current rails.

They are actually really close in price if you factor in a lockset. The Yakimas come with a lock cylinder and keys. The Thules do not.