Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Bad phone call (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/bad-phone-call-69276.html)

Owen.H 12-16-2013 12:09 PM

Bad phone call

My wife called me yesterday to tell me she had been rear ended in the new Jeep. No injuries reported. This happened while she was stopped at a red light. The hitter apologized and transferred his insurance info. His insurance will handle the repairs. I have the Summit and the damage was to the trailer hitch cover, the bumper (slight scratches) and it looks like the exhaust has dropped an inch. I haven't even made the first payment yet. Uggghhh. Anyways, I am now ready to off-road the truck. Hehe. I will post the repair estimate later.

lstowell 12-16-2013 01:07 PM

Re: Bad phone call

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen.H (Post 946266)
My wife called me yesterday to tell me she had been rear ended in the new Jeep. No injuries reported. This happened while she was stopped at a red light. The hitter apologized and transferred his insurance info. His insurance will handle the repairs. I have the Summit and the damage was to the trailer hitch cover, the bumper (slight scratches) and it looks like the exhaust has dropped an inch. I haven't even made the first payment yet. Uggghhh. Anyways, I am now ready to off-road the truck. Hehe. I will post the repair estimate later.

Maybe it is time to resurrect a safety idea by Brock Yates [he of Cannonball Run fame] and replace the steering wheel air back with a shotgun aimed at the drivers head.
Hit anything above a given impact, and one more inattentive driver is removed from the gene pool.

Roadkill 12-16-2013 03:09 PM

Sorry to hear that. Be sure you are made whole and that the guy's insurance company compensates you for the diminished resale value of a vehicle that now has an accident on its record. That type of damage may be invisible, but it's there...

Wombat1 12-16-2013 08:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Sorry to hear about accident at red light. Just had similar incident while sitting at red light going home after dinner with wife. Rear ended by lost 18 year old trying to read a map & drive at same time at night in light rain. I took $4,200 on right rear end of my 6 month old 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Would've been worse if I didn't have towing hitch on rear end. Teenager's parents new SUV took $10,000 in damages, hit full force. No major injuries to anyone thankfully. Should get GC back this week. See pics attached. Notice tow hitch bolts partially sheared on side hit to carps force of hit. Glad we were in jeep.
Wombat 1

netboy 12-16-2013 09:01 PM

I've noticed quite a few head turns while I'm driving my SFU. Maybe all those accidents are a result of drivers mesmerized by our SFU's? Maybe they just want to "get a little closer" to see this odd badge with EcoDiesel on it... Jeep has Diesel?

Owen.H 12-21-2013 11:27 AM

$425 dollars. We got off lucky. We have to replace the trailer hitch cover and readjust the exhaust. This could have been so much worse.

Wombat1 12-29-2013 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Glad to hear your damage wasn't to costly. Got mine back from shop night before I left to go to Utah for Christmas. Body shop did a nice on repairs. Pic from Bryce Canyon, UT day before Cristmas.