Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Lifted Coil Springs With Coil Spring Spacers (budget boost)??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/lifted-coil-springs-with-coil-spring-spacers-budget-boost-69306.html)

4.0_4x4 12-16-2013 10:11 PM

Lifted Coil Springs With Coil Spring Spacers (budget boost)???

I was wandering what everyone thought about using a budget boost with lift springs. For example a 2" budget boost and a 2.5" lifted Coil springs. I've got a Rough Country budget boost on my 01' WJ now and would like to put on a bigger lift, 4" to 4.5". It would of course be cheaper to "stack" the two however I would still have a short arm. So less articulation but I don't do do a whole lot of crawling, mostly trail runs and mud. So would it be possible to stack them safely or should I just go with a 4.5" long arm. The "stack" method would run me about $500 to $600 including the price of the budget boost. 4.5" long arm would run close to $1,000.

dudefromflorida 12-17-2013 07:54 PM

Re: Lifted Coil Springs With Coil Spring Spacers (budget boost)???

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.0_4x4 (Post 946643)
I was wandering what everyone thought about using a budget boost with lift springs. For example a 2" budget boost and a 2.5" lifted Coil springs. I've got a Rough Country budget boost on my 01' WJ now and would like to put on a bigger lift, 4" to 4.5". It would of course be cheaper to "stack" the two however I would still have a short arm. So less articulation but I don't do do a whole lot of crawling, mostly trail runs and mud. So would it be possible to stack them safely or should I just go with a 4.5" long arm. The "stack" method would run me about $500 to $600 including the price of the budget boost. 4.5" long arm would run close to $1,000.

Stacking is actually quite a horrible idea.
Stacking a lift on a Jeep (WJ in particular) is not a smart, cheap or safe route.
Up front cost will be low, yes, but to do it right you need to keep in mind all the moving parts that now need to be put back into spec to avoid death wobble, irregular tire wear, and other safety concerns.
A WJ is 3 link in the front with a trac bar. If you stack lifts be prepared to replace everything in your front end chasing the cure for DW and bad road manners. That is just the front end, we have not even started talking about drop spacers and the possibility of needed a front driveshaft (recommend swapping out a ZJ front driveshaft or get one built for anything 4+'")When it is all said and done you will be in it hundreds of dollars more because of stacking when you start needed to replace lower control arms with adjustable ones, longer sway bar end links, new trac bar.... etc.

Save the money and many nights of being pissed off that the Jeep is not running right and just get a standard 4" kit. (For what you are talking about doing with your Jeep a LA kit is not needed, but it does have its advantages) Also, if you are going to get a 4" kit STAY AWAY FROM ROUGH COUNTRY!

Hope this helps.

4.0_4x4 12-17-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudefromflorida (Post 947098)

Stacking is actually quite a horrible idea.
Stacking a lift on a Jeep (WJ in particular) is not a smart, cheap or safe route.
Up front cost will be low, yes, but to do it right you need to keep in mind all the moving parts that now need to be put back into spec to avoid death wobble, irregular tire wear, and other safety concerns.
A WJ is 3 link in the front with a trac bar. If you stack lifts be prepared to replace everything in your front end chasing the cure for DW and bad road manners. That is just the front end, we have not even started talking about drop spacers and the possibility of needed a front driveshaft (recommend swapping out a ZJ front driveshaft or get one built for anything 4+'")When it is all said and done you will be in it hundreds of dollars more because of stacking when you start needed to replace lower control arms with adjustable ones, longer sway bar end links, new trac bar.... etc.

Save the money and many nights of being pissed off that the Jeep is not running right and just get a standard 4" kit. (For what you are talking about doing with your Jeep a LA kit is not needed, but it does have its advantages) Also, if you are going to get a 4" kit STAY AWAY FROM ROUGH COUNTRY!

Hope this helps.

Why do you say stay away from Rough Country?

dudefromflorida 12-19-2013 04:16 PM

Re: Lifted Coil Springs With Coil Spring Spacers (budget boost)???

Bushings are sub-par, tracbars always seem to be a problem with them also.. so DW is a common problem among those who buy them. They come with drop brackets and nothing is adjustable.... You get what you pay for.
I know a lot of people who have bought Rough Country and I would say 60% have had front end problems and a crappy ride (even for a lifted jeep) and wish they would have just went with Clayton, IRO, or Rusty's.

Just my observation. I am not saying that everyone has bad luck, and that everyone hates it. Honestly, some people love the kit and have had very little complaints.